What size generator for 20ft travel trailer?

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an RV or an interest in RVing!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

dianec333

I have a small 2010 trailer, and want a generator.  Need help with the size. Wont be using much, and most likely not using a/c.  Thanks.

Without using the a/c, and also not using the microwave, coffee pot, and hair dryer at the same time, a 2000 watt inverter type generator is what most folks use.

Welcome to the RV Forum  dianec333

We bought this one and have not been disappointed and you can run the AC if you want to.

https://www.harborfreight.com/3500-Watt-Super-Quiet-Inverter-Generator-63584.html?ccdenc=eyJjb2RlIjoiMjQyNzU5ODYiLCJza3UiOiI2MzU4NCIsImlzIjoiNjk5Ljk5IiwicHJvZHVjdF9p%0D%0AZCI6IjEyMTcyIn0%3D%0D%0A

dianec333 said:
I have a small 2010 trailer, and want a generator.  Need help with the size. Wont be using much, and most likely not using a/c.  Thanks.

It is not about the length of the trailer or how often you use a generator.  An air conditioner will need approx. 2800 watts to get it started.  If you intend to use a microwave or a water heater heater on electric, much more will be needed.  Most will forgo the above items and run a 2000 watt generator because it will run everything else if you run the water heater and refrigerator on gas and cook with gas.  To have full use of all the trailer has to offer, run a pair of 2000 watt generators paired together or a 3500 watt as mentioned.  I use a pair since they are easy to move.

How do you plan to use a generator? If you don't plan to use it to power your a/c unit, a 2000 watt or larger will work.

As you may know, a frame type generator is very loud. You shouldn't use that type if you will be camped near other campers. You'd need an "inverter generator" which is quieter.

If you'd like to run your a/c off a generator, then you need about a 3000 watt or larger generator. However, you could use a 2000 watt generator if you install a "soft starter" (about $300) or soft start capacitor (about $10).

Here's links to both:
https://www.microair.net/products/easystart-364-3-ton-single-phase-soft-starter-for-air-conditioners?variant=30176048267
https://smile.amazon.com/Capacitor-Increase-Starting-120-288V-Compressor/dp/B07MCTDMJ5/ref=sr_1_3?keywords=SPP6-Capacitor-Increase-Starting-Torque&qid=1551746520&s=gateway&sr=8-3

However, you could use a 2000 watt generator if you install a "soft starter" (about $300) or soft start capacitor (about $10).

That may not be enough at higher altitudes, though, since you lose engine power with altitude gain, 3%+/1K ft.

It's easy to rationalize over sizing a generator but I tend to go on the light rather than heavy side, for the simple reason a smaller generator will be smaller and lighter to schelp around, easier to pull start and won't take as much fuel.  So if you're not running AC, a microwave or a coffee maker a 1000W inverter unit will probably be more than enough and be a lot easier to deal with than a 2000W one.  Another way to look at it is just live within the means of the smaller generator in the name of operating convenience.  It doesn't take a long time to begin to understand load management when you have a finite source of power.  You don't need to be running all the devices in your trailer all at the same time, so why have a generator big enough to do that.

Mark B.
Albuquerque, NM

Larry N. said:
That may not be enough at higher altitudes, though, since you lose engine power with altitude gain, 3%+/1K ft.

Good point. Before I decided to get a 3100 watt generator, I was looking at a 2300 watt for that reason.

I would recommend two 2000 watt stackable Champion inverter generators that can be wired and run at the same time for more power, at the rare times, if needed.

Only drawback to 2000 watt generators is that they all are pull start and if you like the feature of a remote electric start generator then consider a Champion 3400 watt one.  Getting out of a camper in the rain or cold weather to fire up the generator got old for me which i why I purchased a remote start one.

If weight is of concern with decent power output, consider a Boliy generator.  Decent poweroutput (not a true 3kw generator in my opinion but enough to run at 13.5kBTU air conditioner and very lightweight for its output.

Drewd said:
Getting out of a camper in the rain or cold weather to fire up the generator got old for me which i why I purchased a remote start one.

I'm with you there. Same reason I purchased a remote start Energizer. That, plus it's got a larger gas tank. Besides, it's built in Canada and I want to support my friends up North. Eh.

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Dmac3003
Back
Top Bottom