Snow on roof of 5th wheel

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an RV or an interest in RVing!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

MN Blue Skies

Site Team
Hello from Minnesota.  We have a lot of snow on top of our 5th wheel.  Maybe 12 to 14 inches.  Possibly ice under the snow. Should we be concerned?  Should we hire someone to rake the roof of the 5th wheel or should we let it be and let it melt naturally.  It's March 5th and hopefully we'll be out the deep freeze and snownamie in the next four weeks.

Once had 3 feet of the white stuff on the roof of my fiver.  SIL was kind enough to clean it off for me.
Yes, I would suggest getting it off.  Maybe a leaf blower.

I use a roof rake on the motorhome, to keep the snow under a foot or so. We got 10 inches of snow yesterday, but I'll just leave it there to melt at this point.

If you do decide to clear it off, or have someone else do it, be very careful not to damage vents, skylights or the TV antenna. I never try to get down to a clean roof, but usually leave a few inches of snow up there. I figure that I could cause more damage than the snow or ice ever would.

HappyWanderer said:
I use a roof rake on the motorhome, to keep the snow under a foot or so. We got 10 inches of snow yesterday, but I'll just leave it there to melt at this point.

If you do decide to clear it off, or have someone else do it, be very careful not to damage vents, skylights or the TV antenna. I never try to get down to a clean roof, but usually leave a few inches of snow up there. I figure that I could cause more damage than the snow or ice ever would.

Love your CA warning at the end  ;D

Max, this late in the game, I would just leave it. With 3 or 4 days of temps in the 40's or 50's, will take care of allot of it.
And besides, do dealers clean theirs off? NO!!!!!  12" to 14" is nothing for a RV roof IMHO. The only time I would clean mine a little was if I had to tow it someplace. It's illegal in NH to tow them if there's allot of snow on the roof for fear that it may slide off and hit someone following you.

I agree that the rigs on the lot do not get cleared off and I considered that when I considered clearing snow off ours. The difference is the rigs in the lot are not heated.  We have enough heat that it melts the snow, however forms ice along the edge of the roof and gets between and on top of the slides.  I was concerned about the weight as well as ice expanding.  I stay on top of ours and have been able to keep it pretty much clear just using a very stiff bristled broom...?..will be up there this morning after coffee...?.good luck to all and be safe.

Rene T said:
It's illegal in NH to tow them if there's allot of snow on the roof for fear that it may slide off and hit someone following you.
Climbing up on a slippery aluminum ladder placed on snow-covered ground, toting a stiff-bristle pushbroom to clear snow/ice from the roof of our 5er was not my idea of fun.  But I did it the day we left NH last November.  Having seen sheets of ice flying from roofs of automobiles and semi-trailers, I'd rather climb the ladder than risk being the party at fault for damage, injuries, or worse caused by said flying ice.

If you're going nowhere with it anytime soon, my vote is with the others: just leave the snow where it is.

Back
Top Bottom