RUN/CRNK Relay keeps going out

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an RV or an interest in RVing!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Kevin Smith

We are new to RV ownership and have camped in our pop up for the last 10 years. Late last year we purchased a 2014 Coachman RV with the van front. After a month or two, the RUN/CRNK relay kept going out. Initially we thought the battery was bad when it would no longer start, so we replaced it. Then a few weeks later it didn't start again. We had an RV repair place take a look and they replaced 2 relays RUN/CRNK and CRNK. It started well for a few weeks, but now it failed to start a couple of days ago. I switched the relays around and got it started when I changed the RUN/CRNK relay. We are taking it camping this weekend and dont want to get stranded, so I bought a couple of extra relays. Has anyone else experienced this or have any idea what could be causing this? I've heard it could be an electrical short or frayed wire somewhere, but wanted to see if anyone has any other suggestions.

Thanks,

Kevin Smith

First thing you need to do is take to an automotive dealer, not an RV repair place, a Ford or Chevy dealer(whoever built the chassis).  Anything related to the engine and trans is not something most RV shops know a lot about.

This sounds more like a bad connection than a bad part.  When you swapped out the relays, you likely cleaned a bit of corrosion off the contacts in the fuse box, so it worked for a few cycles.

Thanks for the reply. It didn't seem corroded from the outside, but I suppose its possible.  Is there a product of some sort that i could use to clean those contacts, or maybe try using a toothpick or something?

You can get a spray contact cleaner at an auto parts store.  I checked the O'Reilly's web site and they've got it listed in several different brands and package sizes.
A tooth pick might work, but I generally make sure there is no power at the connector(disconnect the battery in this case), then spray the female side with contact cleaner.  Then just insert and remove the relay a couple of times.  The wiping action of the contacts with the cleaner should fix your problem.

If you're looking for the best contact cleaner made get Deoxit. It works very well.

Suggest next time it won?t start just wiggle relay rather than removing it. If it starts while wiggling ( or after) you?ve found problem. Bad connection on backside. Had this problem on Bounder ignition relay. Cold solder problem on connector end.

Thanks for the replies. I tested the 3 relays with a 9 volt battery and they are all still good. Will get some cleaner and see if that fixes the problem.

The most common relay failure is dirty contacts. not open coils.

To clean method one

Using your test battery cycle it like 50-100 timed

Method 2 involves opening the case and using a burnishing tool

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
awiltzius
Back
Top Bottom