TPMS

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an RV or an interest in RVing!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
Charger1204 said:
Okay....My tire pressure sensors built into my equinox won't register anymore with the tpms sensors screwed on the valve stems. Anyone else have this problem?

I have OEM sensors on my truck and I also installed a TPMS system so I can monitor all my tires. Never had any issues with cross contamination.

My TPMS system saved my but twice in the last couple of days driving from FL to NH. 2 days ago, My left rear tire on my truck went flat immediately in a matter of a couple of seconds. I probably drove it 300' before I was able to stop. Looking around for a nail I saw the hole. It looked to be about 3/16" diameter. They (the garage) took it off the wheel and there was a huge ball of rubber powder inside. It was ruined. You could see some of steel belts inside.
Then yesterday, my TPMS went off again for one of my trailer tires. It was a slow leak. I pulled off immediately and did a quick inspection. Found a 1/4" flat head bolt sticking out of the tire. Managed to get it to a tire place about 1/4 mile away before it went flat. He plugged it and also put a patch on the inside. Good to go.
So if anyone was contemplating about getting a TPMS system, don't wait any longer.  Believe, you'll be happy you did get one. If I didn't have one, that RV tire would have been destroyed and there would have been $$$$$ in damages to my rig.
This isn't the 1st time for me either.

My regular sensors are back working again...Must have been because the toad battery went dead on the last trip, I've since installed a charge line on the equinox and hope to avoid this problem on the next trip! Charge line was an easy install with parts from the auto parts store and about 20 minutes of my time. I believe this completes my towing projects and now it's on to the MH for some remodel and personalization.

Question,

Are the TPMS caps that go on the RV, the same size as your car tire valve stems? Realize there are probably differences depending on your rig and car you tow behind.

camperAL said:
Question,

Are the TPMS caps that go on the RV, the same size as your car tire valve stems? Realize there are probably differences depending on your rig and car you tow behind.
Cars have internal sensors while for RVs this is an add on and they have sensors you screw onto the stem. They look similar to the picture I attached. The size is a little smaller than a quarter.

There are two different sensors, the cap and the flow thru. Most people like the cap as they are smaller. These sensors work the best on metal stems. You can also have sensors with theft protection. I personally don't use those anti-theft sensors because it adds weight.

Attachments

• tpms sensors.JPG
    tpms sensors.JPG
    21.8 KB · Views: 10
  • tpms sensor size.JPG
    tpms sensor size.JPG
    25 KB · Views: 12
camperAL said:
Question,

If you mean are the valve stems the same thread size, yes they are...

side question...does anyone here know if you can mix caps form other brands?
A lot of them pretty much look the same on the outside.
Specifically, I have a TST 507 system with the cap sensors, and have wondered a few times if I could by something on the shelf in an RV store and pair it ok...

I know TST offers (or at least used to offer) two different types of systems with incompatible transmitters...so I get it that different radio freqs would come into play...
but I feel like at least some of the others would work. They're all probably using teh same standard......prob only one or two places in China make them for everyone.

I had one die on me on the road once and I almost bought some lookalikes at camping world but shied away from the gamble...and just went without...but that's whay I ask

The TST and most other TPMS sensors are digitally encoded to avoid interference with both each other and other vendors sensors using the same frequencies. It's doubtful you would find another brand that's compatible. I've only needed replacement sensors twice though, one for our original 510 system, and one for our current 507 system. In both cases, TST was very helpful in getting them out to us quickly for pickup at a location we selected along our travels.

yeah, I figured something like that might be the case...I still wonder though, surely some electronic savvy person out there has looked at this....

As far as replacements....
I started out with flow through sensors.  Less than a year in I had to replace some..then later more.  Initial failure was the batteries inside had leaked in one or two, and I believe I had an o-ring failure or two.... and yes TST worked with me on that first round & I replaced with caps.  Eventually more failures.. I'm down to two flow through sensors and the rest caps now.

I haven't seen a lot of good reports on the flow-through sensors. I removed the rotating security covers on my cap sensors, making removing them to air up no different than removing a standard valve cap. The kind that you have to remove on the flow-throughs as well. ;)

I have the flow through sensors on my Bus from Tire Safe Guard. I went with flow through so not to have to remove them to add air if necessary. The on and off of the sensor is what wears  out the little rubber grommet inside the valve.  I have had good luck with my flow through sensors as they have been on for about 2  years without an issue.

I have cap sensors on the Jeep as the flow through would stick out too far for my liking.  I did have to replace in the inside grommet on a Jeep sensor that was leaking. They have been on and off dozens of times in the last 2 years.

Back
Top Bottom