1985 winnebago cheiftan 454 Chevy big block engine - belt diagram?

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an RV or an interest in RVing!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
Hello,
We have an 85 cheiftan and have a problem finding any belt diagrams.  We tried asking Napa auto parts ( where we got the belts ), but they didnt have anything. Looking online, holy cow, there are millions and ours has 3 belts and no air pump! Also, my other question is wouldnt giving the 454 P30 big block engine all you need to get the right part? The 454 is a popular engine and in lots of things besides motorhomes. Thanks for the help. Appreciate any and all comments!

edit by staff - changed message icon to topic solved

Belts and hoses are designed to fit the engine to the chassis cooling & electrical systems and those are determined by the chassis install, not the engine size/brand.  A/c and alternator bracket location & shape, belt routing, possible emissions devices, and radiator location and connections or unique to the chassis. Worse, once in awhile they get altered slightly for one motorhome body vs another.  The belt & hose layout on a Winnebago on a P30 may not be identical to that of a Bounder on a P30.  It's the nature of custom-built vehicles.

Wrap a string around the pulleys that you need a belt for and mark the length. Take the string to a Napa dealer and explain what you did and what you have. Make sure to tell them the tensioner pulley was all the way out so they can compensate. I say a Napa dealer because I haven't seen an Auto Zone or Advance Auto that had a counter person that knew anything other than what the computer on the counter tells them. I don't blame the counter person, it's the way they are trained.

We did get the 3 belts from Napa. Now my husband needs a diagram of the belts location on the engine. Where exactly do they go, are his words! Yep, he is not a mechanic, it's a little obvious I know, but he should he able to put these belts on, right?

I would google  "1985 winnebago cheiftan 454 Chevy big block engine fan belts" then look for one that matched your layout.
Look under images...

Here's a drawing showing how the fan belts are routed:

http://dave78chieftain.com/ChevyP30Belts.html

The belt closest to the engine goes on first, then work your way forward.  On the belts that go around the water pump, slip the belt over the fan blades and work it down to the pulley on the water pump before you take it to the other pulleys.  It may be a tight fit to get the belt between the tip of the fan blade and the shroud but it will go through..

You can also sight down the edge of a pulley or use a straight edge to verify which of the grooves it matches up with on a multi belt pulley.

Latest posts

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
RoyL57
Back
Top Bottom