5th wheel or Gooseneck

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an RV or an interest in RVing!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Larry Dial

what is the general consensus? trucks seem to have more capacity with a gooseneck, and the bed of the truck has more useable space. So what am I missing?  We are looking at buying a new  Solitude trailer and ford truck soon. the discussion has been going back and forth as to what is the best choice.

absolutely,  We are going to buy a new truck and a Solitude trailer. we have the option of 5th wheel or Gooseneck hitch. What I am trying to find out is what are peoples opinions as to which hitch is better.

I recommend checking with Grand Design to see if using a gooseneck adapter will void the warranty. Gooseneck adapters put lot of strain on the front of a fiver.

kdbgoat said:
I recommend checking with Grand Design to see if using a gooseneck adapter will void the warranty. Gooseneck adapters put lot of strain on the front of a fiver.

This^^^^^^

I would ?never? use a conventional goose-neck with any 5th wheel trailer. Maybe an Anderson or similar design. A typical goose-neck adaptor multiplies the torque transferred to the 5th wheel pin box area....which is not designed for this.

The FW comes with a FW pin.  NEVER USE A PIPE STYLE GOOSENECK ADAPTER !!  on a FW camper!  It will likely crack the frame!

I believe your question related to the truck purchase.  There are several options.  Per their web site:

5th Wheel/Gooseneck Trailer Prep    includes a gooseneck ready box with cut outs and plugs for the gooseneck ball and 4 other rail attachment points, plus the 7 wire harness connection in the box.    It includes no hitches or balls.

The Gooseneck Hitch Kit includes a gooseneck ball and two hooks that mount into the rail attachment points for gooseneck safety chains.

The first package is a must have.

There are several options available at this point.

There are dealer installed and aftermarket FW rails made to attach directly to these connection points.  From there, most FW hitches will mount directly to the rails.

There are a few options for connecting a hitch directly to the gooseneck ball (requires both options).  These include the Andersen Ultimate hitch, which I use, the B&W Turnover hitch and a couple newer products from PullRite and Reese (If I remember correctly) which are similar to the Andersen.  The B&W is a standard style FW  hitch that simply mounts to the gooseneck ball.

The rail setup has been the industry standard for years.  The work very well, but are heavy and the hitch AND rails must be removed to get a flat box back for other uses.

The B&W is still heavy, but once it is removed, only the ball remains.  No rails.
The Andersen style hitch attaches to the gooseneck ball,  typically weigh under 50 pounds and can be installed or removed by one person in under 10 minutes.  When removed, only the ball remains.
It takes longer to get into the truck bed than it does to install or remove the ball.

Larry Dial said:
absolutely,  We are going to buy a new truck and a Solitude trailer. we have the option of 5th wheel or Gooseneck hitch. What I am trying to find out is what are peoples opinions as to which hitch is better.
Most folks that talk them down have never used one and most folks that have used them like them.
However is the GN/5th wheel option a adapter from Solitude ???  Some 5er mfg has offered them as a option but their unit was designed for the extra stress involved.
Give them a 1-800 for that unit.

Definitely check with the manufacturer about the warranty and gooseneck use. 

What size fifth wheel?  Are you planning on a one ton truck?

Welcome aboard.

longhaul said:
Most folks that talk them down have never used one and most folks that have used them like them.

True, I haven't used one on a fifth wheel camper, but I have pulled gooseneck trailers. Yes, I would like a gooseneck better. My recommendation to check with the manufacturer still stands. There's relatively few towing with gooseneck adapters out there, and I personally have seen damages to two fifth wheels from using them.

The gooseneck hitch and the Anderson Ultimate hitch might be a good option for you.  I would stay away from a gooseneck adapter as they are the units that tend to run a foul of manufacturer warranties, at least the ones I spoke with.  The AUH while it uses the gooseneck hitch is a very different animal.

Gizmo said:
The gooseneck hitch and the Anderson Ultimate hitch might be a good option for you.  I would stay away from a gooseneck adapter as they are the units that tend to run a foul of manufacturer warranties, at least the ones I spoke with.  The AUH while it uses the gooseneck hitch is a very different animal.

Also take a look at the PullRite Super Lite hitch.

http://pullrite.com/products/superlite-series

I understand that should one break down with a fifth wheel the tow company may come get you with a flatbed, putting the truck on the flatbed then hooking the fifth wheel to an adapter plate on a tow/lift mechanism on the back of the flatbed. Would they be equally equipped to handle a gooseneck?

I have heard of tow companies towing the truck with the 5th wheel attached to the truck.  Not sure I would like to see mine towed that way, but it has been done.

Pulled with a gooseneck and 5th wheel hitch. The gooseneck is definitely a better hook up and pull. Easier on the trailer and easier on the truck.

The trailer will move when x lbs of force are applied to the pin. You cannot add more force regardless of the hitch used. The idea that one hitch adds more force than another to the trailer pin false. In any given situation where the trailer moves when pulled and stops when pushed the force at the pin is the same for every attachment method used on the pin.

The trailer is like a flag on a flag pole. The pole may feel more stress and the flag bearer may feel more stress but the flag does not. It just follows the pole regardless of how long, short, crooked, etc. the pole is.

Gizmo said:
I have heard of tow companies towing the truck with the 5th wheel attached to the truck.  Not sure I would like to see mine towed that way, but it has been done.

I certainly wouldn't be super comfortable either, but if your tow vehicle just died and you're beside the road, are there better alternatives?

NMDriver said:
Pulled with a gooseneck and 5th wheel hitch. The gooseneck is definitely a better hook up and pull. Easier on the trailer and easier on the truck.

The trailer will move when x lbs of force are applied to the pin. You cannot add more force regardless of the hitch used. The idea that one hitch adds more force than another to the trailer pin false. In any given situation where the trailer moves when pulled and stops when pushed the force at the pin is the same for every attachment method used on the pin.

The trailer is like a flag on a flag pole. The pole may feel more stress and the flag bearer may feel more stress but the flag does not. It just follows the pole regardless of how long, short, crooked, etc. the pole is.

Not more stress to the pin, but to the entire front of the 5th wheel. It is a matter of geometry, the gooseneck extension acts as a torque multiplier, or a lever. A gooseneck trailer, has heavier framing and gusseting at all of the beam junctions. A 5th wheel has lighter gauge steel, and does not have the gusseting.

We have both a 5th wheel RV rated at 20 K pounds and a gooseneck rated @ 16 K pounds.....the gooseneck frame forward of the actual trailer frame is of “much” heavier construction.

NMDriver said:

I beg to differ!!  Basic physics show a lever increases torque, and a tube style gooseneck hitch is a huge lever attached to the pin box.  It WILL damage pin boxes and frames.  The post becomes part of the pin box and FW frame.  The pressure or force is applied at the base of the adapter at the gooseneck ball.

In your example the flag moves all over, but the pole is not attached to anything at the top (pin box), only at the bottom (gooseneck ball).  If there were a fixed object attached to the top of the pole, and it tried to remain in a fixed position, that moving pole would apply all kinds of torque to the fixed object.

AUH and similar hitches attach to the gooseneck ball and are stabilized by the truck bed, firming a stable, fixed attachment point  AT  the pin box.  The physics forces are completely different.  They are applied at the pin box, same as a conventional FW hitch.

Back2PA said:
I understand that should one break down with a fifth wheel the tow company may come get you with a flatbed, putting the truck on the flatbed then hooking the fifth wheel to an adapter plate on a tow/lift mechanism on the back of the flatbed. Would they be equally equipped to handle a gooseneck?

The pin box converter for the AUH can be removed in about 2 minutes with an allen wrench and box wrench.

Back2PA said:
I certainly wouldn't be super comfortable either, but if your tow vehicle just died and you're beside the road, are there better alternatives?

Probably not, if that was what showed up.  I think if it were me I would upon placing the call make it clear the nature of my rig and try to get clarification how the two would be towed and lobby for a separate tow.  If however towing the whole rig together was my only option, well it would have to do.

Back
Top Bottom