Map Lights

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an RV or an interest in RVing!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

mudshark

Hi All
This is a long shot but I will try anyway.
Attached are 3 pictures of the business side of two map lights over he dash in our Bounder. They worked once, I don't recall how long ago. My wife would like to use them once in a while but now I can't get either to work. I tried to use my meter to figure out what is going on but I am at a loss.
There are a lot of cut wires in there. I taped them back for clarity. Anyone have any ideas on how to get them working again? Any idea of where a fuse might be??
Thanks

Attachments

• DSC05557.JPG
    DSC05557.JPG
    165.3 KB · Views: 59
  • DSC05558.JPG
    DSC05558.JPG
    178.9 KB · Views: 47
  • DSC05559.JPG
    DSC05559.JPG
    193.6 KB · Views: 48
That's the problem. I can't seem to get any voltage. The bulbs don't look replaceable and the wires feeding them are very small. I can't seem to able to get the meter probes in anywhere. I have the dash propped up so I can get at the fuse box but with no diagram I am working blind. It is in a bad location and I would hate to start pulling fuses indiscriminately.
My next step is to poke needles into the wires to see if I can get anything.

Sometimes there is a single switch to control a group of lights, even when those lights have an individual switch on them. I'm guessing you have already checked that, but...

Yes, I went through all the switches on the dash. I am pretty sure now that it may be a fuse. I have no idea where it may be. I even went as far as testing all the cut wires in that compartment and they are all dead. If I could find a pair that had power I would have spliced into them but nope.

Happy hunting Mud. When I bought this fiver I could not find the electrical panel with the circuit breakers in it. I am a retired electrician and it is not a very big RV but I could not find it. I had to have a plumber friend of mine find it for me. Very embarrassing. Open every cupboard and closet and search everywhere. Good luck.

LOL!! That, SeilerBird, is embarrassing!
I wouldn't let too many people know that...oops! Too late! Considering all the training you went through to get your license...a plumber only needs to know crap runs down hill and payday is on Friday!!

If you don't mind my 2 cents....

I would focus under the hood as part of the chassis electrical system.

Always glad to hear from you, Gizmo.
I'm kinda taking a couple of steps back to see if anyone has any ideas. Without any layout on the fuse box I am clutching at straws. Now I am considering how to run 12 VDC lines up to the lights. Everything on the right side is 120 AC I believe. Unless I can tap into the power feeding the Winegard TV antenna. I think that runs on 12 VDC.

If your just wanting 12 volts...It appears to be a fan at the bottom of the last picture. I'm assuming 12 volts. I also see what appears to be a rear camera ...also 12 volts.

But I would want to fix it right. I would verify that you don't have 12 volts going into the fixtures, even if you have to shave some insulation off the wire to check. (Just have some tape to make the repair).

If not then using your meter start test the fuses in the fuse box. You should be able to test them with out removing them.

I suspect that those lights would be powered from your chassis batteries. I also  think the fuses for chassis accessories would be under the hood or under the dash. Is your coach gas or diesel? If it's diesel, the fuses may be in the outside compartment in front of the left front wheel.

Gizmo100 said:
If your just wanting 12 volts...It appears to be a fan at the bottom of the last picture.
Just don't wire directly to the fan or she will need the fan on to read  ;D ;D ;D

SpencerPJ said:
Just don't wire directly to the fan or she will need the fan on to read  ;D ;D ;D

Those light put off a LOT of heat she will need the fan to cool off?  ;D ;D ;D

I just assumed the fans have a switch on the fan...So you do raise a good point.

Hey Mudshark.  Remember the old cars that you turned the headlight knob to dim the dash lights and then there was a detent at the high end to turn on the interior light?  Same deal here. 
Which actually sucks, because I'd also like to use them sometimes when we're parked and it's just so inconvenient.

Hi Wally
I was hoping you would find this thread. I just tried the lights with the ignition on ACC and with the headlight switch on. Still nothing. You have the same coach. Any idea where these lights get their power from?

Old_Crow said:
Hey Mudshark.  Remember the old cars that you turned the headlight knob to dim the dash lights and then there was a detent at the high end to turn on the interior light?  Same deal here. 
Which actually sucks, because I'd also like to use them sometimes when we're parked and it's just so inconvenient.

Madshark...Sounds like you have to rotate the headlight knob until you feel the indent and that's the point that turns on the overhead lights. That may get you power up to the lights....assuming the lights are not burnout.

Thanks Gizmo
The headlight switch has three positions only, off, parking lights and headlights. No more.

mudshark said:
Thanks Gizmo
The headlight switch has three positions only, off, parking lights and headlights. No more.

Is there a knob to adjust the brightness of the dash lights?

Back
Top Bottom