Hello from the UK

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an RV or an interest in RVing!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

UK-RV

Hi Guys

I just wanted the share a magical moment with you - the sun has finally come out here in the UK !!

When we left a sunny Florida and returned to the UK in early May, we had 2 weeks of lovely weather.

After mid-May, all we've had is rain and more rain.

It has been declared the wettest June since records began - and the Country has suffered some very serious floods - $3 billion worth of damage estimated !

At the campground we're staying at for the season (til end October), we've just had 3 days of severe wind, with two large trees falling onto a couple of caravans (travel trailers to you guys) - thankfully nobody was hurt.

We have now got some lovely sunshine and the wind has nearly gone.

Hopefully, we will see temperatures reaching a sweltering 66F later today.

Oh, I wish I was back in Alaska !!

Paul

Paul  Good to hear from you.  It's only been around 114 F here in Arizona  But it's a cool heat they say.

Hi Paul good hearing from you.  Thanks to Jeffs excellent reports you can take a virtual trip of Alaska with Jeff and Sue.

Paul,

Quit whining about the rain. If you lived on the other side of the Severn Bridge you'd be used to it and would understand why I call it (not so) sunny South Wales.

Glad to hear it stopped raining. A couple more weeks of sun and the UK will ban the use of hose pipes (aka water hoses).

Shayne - thank you for that - very dusty though, I'd have to clean the RV

Tom - I don't need to live the other side of the bridge to meet the Welsh as, it seems, they're all touring over here - the CG has even put some signs in Welsh.

Ron - yes, we're following the Alaska Tour Log - I really do admire people who have the skills and patience to keep these Logs going.

Paul

PS They've now revised our weather forecast from a hot 66F down to a lovely warm 60F ;D - and the clouds are moving back in as I type.  ::)

UK-RV said:
.... the CG has even put some signs in Welsh.

Long overdue. Wales has had English translations on road signs for many years  ;)  Heck, even they even have English translations at the entrance to Tesco stores - see attached. Wales really does throw out the welcome mat to foreigners  ;D

Attachments

• Tesco2.jpg
    Tesco2.jpg
    58.3 KB · Views: 34
  • sign.jpg
    sign.jpg
    116.5 KB · Views: 27
Does any of y'all has any redneck signs over thar?  Gotta be all pictures since lots of we'uns can't read.

LOL Newt, you might need to translate that for Paul.

We didn't have enough time to get into Wales when we visited but I did meet one man who would get a little excited and lapse into what I can only assume was High Kentish at times and I'd totally lose any sense of what he was saying until he dropped back into English and I would understand him easily until the next burst of Kentish.

Come to think of it, his name was Glyn so maybe he'd wandered in from the far West.

Does any of y'all has any redneck signs over thar?

Tom

I managed to understand it  ;) - just thought of Jethro and it all made sense.

Paul

PS For the rest of you, Jethro is a comedian from Cornwall, with a VERY strong accent - so strong you stand a good chance of missing the punchline whilst trying to work out what the heck he's actually saying -  JETHRO

Newt, with a name like Glyn he'd be unlikely to be speaking "High Kentish". (Wrong country.)

Paul,

I hadn't heard of Jethro, but it sounds like he's a real west country boy.

Newt said:
Does any of y'all has any redneck signs over thar?  Gotta be all pictures since lots of we'uns can't read.

Newt, Y'all shount use downhome talk on folks less'n you give 'um sum learnin in gramer furst.

example:

Y'all is singular    (when thars juss won y'all)
All Y'all is plural  (when thars mor'n won y'all)
All y'alls'  is plural possessive  (that's when y'all includ all y'all and all y'alls' kin)

shur hope that cleers things up a tad.

BTW Paul, it's high time they put up a dual language welcome sign as you travel west across the Severn Bridge. We've had one or both of these on the other side for many years.

Attachments

• croeso4.jpg
    croeso4.jpg
    28.8 KB · Views: 28
  • croeso3.jpg
    croeso3.jpg
    29.8 KB · Views: 22
Tom said:
Newt, with a name like Glyn he'd be unlikely to be speaking "High Kentish". (Wrong country.)
I knew the name wasn't local but figured his folks had immigrated before he was born.  He were certainly living in the middle of Kent and didn't look like he'd gotten lost and just wandered in recently.

Years ago when I was stationed in Louisianna I ran across a cajun sounding tall blond feller named Lars.

Newt said:
...I was stationed in Louisianna I ran across a cajun sounding tall blond feller named Lars.

He definitely wasn't Welsh and I doubt that he spoke high Kentish. Probably a Scandinavian. The "blond feller" is a dead giveaway  ;D

We have a very good and very successful Monaco dealer in Northern California who's family were Scandinavian. The grandmother jokes that, when you line up all the sons and grandsons, you can't tell them apart. From the family members I've met, she's dead right. Several family members are patients of our daughter and she confirms my observations.

Back
Top Bottom