First completed Modification to new 5er

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an RV or an interest in RVing!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Conquest2011

Well my plan didn't go as planned. This modification came from my friend throwing in a slap of scrap walnut. The original plan was to have extension on the end of the island towards the living room. However, the walnut boards were rough cut to 1 inch thick and by the time I planned them down I had about 5/8 inch board. At 5/8 not very workable, but I managed to put something together. I am not quite done with the extension, have same doctoring to do. I have about 15 strips of boards glued and all-threaded together and in the sanding process I managed to open a very small spot to the all-thread cavity area.

So what you see here is an after thought. When I was prepping the other boards to be planned I was wondering how I could re-purpose that scrap of walnut and voila.

Attachments

• Walnut Addition 3.jpg
    Walnut Addition 3.jpg
    40.9 KB · Views: 76
  • Walnut Addition 4.jpg
    Walnut Addition 4.jpg
    229.9 KB · Views: 70
Conquest2011 said:
Thank ya Trip,
that piece was headed for the bonfire.

It should be against the law to burn walnut ;)...It's just to damn pretty.

I've been sitting on some 4 x 8 x 8 walnut for almost 20 years just waiting for the perfect project. My wife thinks I'm NUTS

Nice extension to the counter.

The other half of that finished piece you see is smaller in width and lot more bark. I am plan on making something out of it, but know exactly what yet.
My buddy throw that piece in to get rid of it. His friend has lumber mill that I often get rough cut oak, maple and walnut, but this time he shorted me on the thickness. Oh well, I can complain when it is free.

Gizmo100 said:

I've been sitting on some 4 x 8 x 8 walnut for almost 20 years just waiting for the perfect project. My wife thinks I'm NUTS

Well Giz,
  Don't come to my house in the winter I heat the house with about 2 cords of black walnut. No worries it is not good walnut for lumber, I am not that crazy.

Utclmjmpr said:
I think I would have rounded the corners to match the counter.>>>Dan

I thought about that, but since there is bark along the front edge I wasn't sure how it would turn out.

I do have another scrap piece I could try it on to see.

The finish is not Poly, it is Varathane floor finish, it dries hard as nails. Polyurethane to me scratches too easily.

Thanks for suggestion.

Gizmo100 said:

I've been sitting on some 4 x 8 x 8 walnut for almost 20 years just waiting for the perfect project. My wife thinks I'm WALNUTS

Fixed that for ya!  8)

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
urnwholesaler
Back
Top Bottom