Advice needed on residential refrigerator in new winnebago!

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an RV or an interest in RVing!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Peggyy

Just got this new class a.  Came camping today and the refrigerator is still not cold enough and has been running for hours.  I even added ice to it.  I am now afraid my food will not be safe.  How do you all cool yours down quick enough?  We store camper away from home so we have no way to turn it on the night before.  Salesman said these cool quicker than the norcold type ones but i am beginning to think not.  Just wondering what routine you go through if you have a residential.  Thanks.

Some refers can take 24 hours to get to the desired temps.  Loading them with food before they are at the desired temp may take even longer since the food inside also has to be cooled as well.  And external temps may also affect the cooling, especially if you are opening the door to check the inside temp.  Humidity is also a big hurdle to over come when the refer is trying to get down to temp. 

Is the freezer making ice and cooling? If the freezer portion is cooling, then it's just a matter of time until the cold box catches up.

Peggyy said:
Just got this new class a.  Came camping today and the refrigerator is still not cold enough and has been running for hours.  I even added ice to it.  I am now afraid my food will not be safe.  How do you all cool yours down quick enough?  We store camper away from home so we have no way to turn it on the night before.  Salesman said these cool quicker than the norcold type ones but i am beginning to think not.  Just wondering what routine you go through if you have a residential.  Thanks.

If you actually do have a residential fridge, it should be a lot quicker to cool down than the RV-type. All the residential types I've had, whether in the motorhome or in the stick and bricks, are very noticeably cooling within the first hour or two, and are ready for food in just a few hours. I've never had to wait overnight, or even half a day. Most of the newer ones even have some sort of temperature readout for freezer section and fridge section, though on one it's in the form of up to 4 stars.

So if it's been 8 hours or more I'd say you either have a defective fridge, or you don't have a residential type, at least based on my experience. You might mention the make and model and perhaps someone has more info about it.

P.S. Sarge, I don't think the compressor types have to wait for the freezer to cool before cooling the rest of the unit.

Residential fridges do cool more quickly and should be at safe temperatures within 4-6 hours.  Some even less.  Freezer and main box cool at about the same rate - in most they share the same cold air source.  However, if you load a warm (hot?) fridge with warm foods and turn it on, it's going to take longer.  Pre-chilled or frozen foods would help.

Your basic problem is likely that you have no way to turn on the fridge a few hours ahead of time. Is there power at the storage site? If so, it may be worth an extra trip the night before to turn the fridge on.

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
CarlSpackler
Back
Top Bottom