Tahquamenon winter RV camping

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an RV or an interest in RVing!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Len and Jo

Took a three day weekend with my son camping in Michigan's UP at the Tahquamenon Falls SP winter camping.  Had a great time snow shoeing and playing games in the evenings.  Also had some great food and beer.

Attachments

• a.JPG
    a.JPG
    196.5 KB · Views: 39
  • c.JPG
    c.JPG
    168.5 KB · Views: 31
  • d.JPG
    d.JPG
    192 KB · Views: 36
  • e.JPG
    e.JPG
    172.2 KB · Views: 35
  • ee.JPG
    ee.JPG
    210.9 KB · Views: 34
  • ff.JPG
    ff.JPG
    186.4 KB · Views: 33
  • fff.JPG
    fff.JPG
    198.9 KB · Views: 33
  • g.JPG
    g.JPG
    156.2 KB · Views: 33
  • j.JPG
    j.JPG
    198.4 KB · Views: 29
  • k.JPG
    k.JPG
    182.6 KB · Views: 33
  • m.JPG
    m.JPG
    191.6 KB · Views: 33
  • n.JPG
    n.JPG
    169.4 KB · Views: 45
Thanks for the great pics. I'm jealous except for the dominoes which never made any sense to me.

IBTripping said:
Thanks for the great pics. I'm jealous except for the dominoes which never made any sense to me.

I could deal with the dominoes...It all that white stuff...Somebody need to clean that up. ;D ;D

Nice pictures. Thanks for sharing

Ah those last two pics. Those are the "Money shots"  Only one place I know of you can take pictures like that. and .. Well you took 'em.

The falls are #2 in terms of Gallons pe minute (only Niagra has more water over the edge)
And the golden color is due to Tannin in the water leaching out of the trees

For those who have never been there the only business at the falls themselves is a canoe livery. other than that and the trail.. It is all just as nature made it.

I wouldn't have thought a campground would be open up there in the winter so this is a surprise topic.  Neat photos, but especially the two with the falls.  The tannin in the water really shows up against the white snow!  Thanks for posting.

ArdraR

ArdraF said:
I wouldn't have thought a campground would be open up there in the winter so this is a surprise topic.  Neat photos, but especially the two with the falls.  The tannin in the water really shows up against the white snow!  Thanks for posting.

ArdraR

There are now several parks open for year round use. 
http://www.michigandnr.com/parksandtrails/Default.aspx?filterID=155#map-tab

Wow, that is a lot of snow.  Looks like you had a good time.  Not seen those dominoes before...

jackiemac said:
Wow, that is a lot of snow.  Looks like you had a good time.  Not seen those dominoes before...
Three and a half feet of snow on the ground according to NOAA.  Sure looked life it.  Mexican Train dominoes.  15 number set.

Len and Jo said:
Three and a half feet of snow on the ground according to NOAA.  Sure looked life it.  Mexican Train dominoes.  15 number set.
Looks like more.  My friend got me to get her some dominoes when I was out in the US as they were a bit different but I can't remember why  ;D

There are a lot of folks who snowmobile or hunt in that area in the winter.... I've been there in the summer. The weather is not as severe as it is in some places in the UP.  due to the effect of the river. Some places are even milder. though when I was at a nearby Lake.. (The resident is one of only 8 year round residents) he explained that as close (About half a mile) as he was to the Big Lake (Superior) he got lots and lots of snow.. but mild temps.. The City (Perhaps 20 miles south) Got bitter cold. not so much snow. 

We were there in June, ?17, - mosquito ? season. What a beautiful area and spectacular falls. However the mosquitoes were so bad we didn?t even attempt to use the grill or eat outside.

Love your pictures of the falls.

Heli_av8tor said:
We were there in June, ?17, - mosquito ? season. What a beautiful area and spectacular falls. However the mosquitoes were so bad we didn?t even attempt to use the grill or eat outside.

July-September are great times to visit.  Everything has dried out and there are a lot less mosquitoes.  We usually plan our up north trips for August.

Heli_av8tor said:

I don't mind that Michigan and Minnesota have hordes of mosquitoes. But, do they have to be the size of humming birds.  :(

Here is what happens in the spring when all that 3-4 feet of snow melts. 50,000 - 60,000 gallons of "root beer" per second.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=SMSV3EwVMsA

IBTripping said:
I don't mind that Michigan and Minnesota have hordes of mosquitoes. But, do they have to be the size of humming birds.  :(

:) ;) :D ;D 8) ::) :p

Now that is why you should camp Tahquamenon in the winter.  In the winter the "Michigan Air Force" not just the Hummingbird size Skeeters but the Flying tire plugs (Black flies)  are GROUNDED.

Beautiful country year round that's for sure.

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
7199michael
Back
Top Bottom