TRUCK CAMPER FOR DODGE RAM 1500 5.7HEMI 4X4 CREW CAB 321 REAR AXLE SHORT BED 5"5

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an RV or an interest in RVing!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

sammyd

CANT SEEM TO FIND ONE THAT CAN BE USED ON THIS TRUCK. LANCE 650 DEALER SAYS YES BUT PAYLOAD FROM DODGE SAYS DIFFERENT. ANY HELP WOULD BE APPRECIATED.

Welcome to the forum.

Please don't use all caps, it's hard to read and is interpreted as shouting.

I don't have an answer for you but someone will likely have some suggestions. What year is your truck?

What is the maximum payload (cargo) capacity of your truck? That information can be found by checking the white with yellow label on the driver's door.

As you've discovered, campers tend to be very heavy and 1/2 ton pickups are limited in their max payload capacity. The typical max is probably around 1,300 lbs. But, each individual pickup has a specific payload capacity depending on installed options or package. The Lance 650 has a gross vehicle weight rating (GVWR) of over 2,000 lbs. And, after adding the weight of passengers, camping gear, tool box, etc. which make it even more over max payload capacity.

Even a lightweight popup camper is likely to have a GVWR of a 1,000 or more. Even the Raven popup camper will have a GVWR of over 1,000 lbs. And, you'll notice that the Raven company only gives the dry (NOT GROSS) weight of 850 lbs. But, by the time you add propane tanks, partially filled water tank, options, etc. it will have a GVWR of a  1,000 lbs or more.

One option is to get a 2500 or 3500 Ram or similar Chevy/Ford. Another option is to get a small travel trailer. If you want to camper to go be able to go further in the back country, there are a number of single axle travel trailers that will work.

Welcome to the RV Forum sammyd

Yeah easy on the caps please...Even my wife doesn't yell at me that much. ;D

You do need to check that sticker to see what you weight you can carry.

Sorry about the caps, definitely not mad. To be honest I can see it a whole lot better. Eyes getting pretty bad these days. Payload looks to be around 1300. Just sent an email to place out west that does custom truck campers to fit any truck.

sammyd said:
Sorry about the caps, definitely not mad. To be honest I can see it a whole lot better. Eyes getting pretty bad these days. Payload looks to be around 1300. Just sent an email to place out west that does custom truck campers to fit any truck.

Maybe I can help with the eyes....
If you hold down the CTRL button on your keypad and at the same time roll the wheel on your mouse you can make your screen bigger or smaller.

Hi, sorry I'm late to this thread, but I had the same issue. My husband passed away and I didn't want to let go of his truck. It's only an F150 so I had to find a camper that could work with the payload restrictions. I did a ton of research and every where I looked I was brought back to the Travel Lite models. There is a reason they call themselves king of the half ton. There are sacrifices though. At the 1/2 ton truck level you're never going to find a camper with a bathroom. However, I've been able to function pretty well with the Travel Lite 625 SL. I bought the unit with a portable toilet but what they gave me was not stellar. I quickly figured out that by removing the cabinet door were they stowed their porta-potty, I was able to fit an electronic flush-able Thetford Curve cassette toilet. With a racketing curtain rod and some nice thick curtains, I have the perfect make-shift bathroom for middle of the night needs. During the day, the potty can be moved outside into my easy-up two room tent that I stage next to the outdoor shower on the side of the camper. I almost never use the campground facilities. The Travel Lite has all the needed amenities with a safe travel weight.  I'm two years in and I wouldn't change a thing!

Congrats on being smart enough to find a camper that allows you to haul with a 1/2 ton pickup. And congrats on your creativity in the toilet department.  :))

diannenaughton said:
Hi, sorry I'm late to this thread, but I had the same issue. My husband passed away and I didn't want to let go of his truck. It's only an F150 so I had to find a camper that could work with the payload restrictions. I did a ton of research and every where I looked I was brought back to the Travel Lite models. There is a reason they call themselves king of the half ton. There are sacrifices though. At the 1/2 ton truck level you're never going to find a camper with a bathroom. However, I've been able to function pretty well with the Travel Lite 625 SL. I bought the unit with a portable toilet but what they gave me was not stellar. I quickly figured out that by removing the cabinet door were they stowed their porta-potty, I was able to fit an electronic flush-able Thetford Curve cassette toilet. With a racketing curtain rod and some nice thick curtains, I have the perfect make-shift bathroom for middle of the night needs. During the day, the potty can be moved outside into my easy-up two room tent that I stage next to the outdoor shower on the side of the camper. I almost never use the campground facilities. The Travel Lite has all the needed amenities with a safe travel weight.  I'm two years in and I wouldn't change a thing!

Looks like a really great solution, good thinking.

Thanks so much to both of you for the kind words!  Maybe someday I'm going to upgrade my rig but this is just perfect for me right now. 

The problem is the 8 speed transmission and the 3:21 rear end that makes that truck haul/tow less. I had a 2014 set up like that pulling a 7200 lb TT. After adding the essentials plus me and wife, was technically overloaded. If you keep the truck, you will have to live within its limits. Same truck with a 6 speed tranny and 3:73 or 3:92 haul/tows more. Traded for a 2017 3/4 crew cab (sweetheart deal) which was cheaper than the 1/2 ton. Sure was nice getting 21 mpg with that 1/2 ton with the 8 speed. Good luck.

IMO (here in CA)... with gas hovering around $4.00 a gal.,  plus the extra $120 registration costs (every year) for a 3/4 ton .

I'd rather just beef up the suspension on a truck that can give you 21 mpg..  :))

(besides..much of the time the camper is not on the truck)

It's not just springs.  You forget axles,tires,wheels,frame.  All of those things contribute to payload capacity.  Even one of the pop up campers could overload your truck.  IMHO you simply begging for heart ache.  Not to mention repair bills should you blow an axle.

put one ton springs wheels tires axles on it if you want.

You can even make it a 3 axle,  like this guy did to his old F150...

Attachments

• 76 F150.jpg
    76 F150.jpg
    44.6 KB · Views: 8
Back
Top Bottom