Happy 30th Birthday World Wide Web (www)

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an RV or an interest in RVing!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

djw2112

Really does not seem that long ago wow.  I was in my 20's and i remember watching Katie Couric and she was asking "what is email", i had no clue what it was then either.  I thought well ill never use that big deal LMAO...  Boy how i wish i would have invested something back then, even a small amount back then would have been golden today.

Think of how far we have come in just 30 years, its amazing!  I dont think any of us older folks would even recognize the world at the 60 year anniversary.

I remember when I thought texting was the dumbest thing in the world. Why would anyone want to text when they could just call. :eek: 8)

Anyway, Happy Birthday Internet!

That's great, Tom.  My answer=NO!  I started email back in the mid 80s - did it through an on-line Bulletin Board Service.  "today's internet forum".  8)

kdbgoat said:
I remember when I thought texting was the dumbest thing in the world. Why would anyone want to text when they could just call. :eek: 8)

I still think texting is the dumbest thing in the world.

I remember swearing off computers back in the 90s.  What are they good for? ....useless waste of money!  Long story short, I bought my first one in 1999 (Gateway of course), and so I've been using them for 20 years now.  Three home computers in the house, a tablet, a Surface Pro, and two Smart phones (wife has one and I have one).  The surface pro makes for a very handy take along computer when we camp, and we also have the new Verizon 8800L jetpack for internet/streaming.

I currently own a Windows laptop (which is worthless), three Chromebooks (15, 14 and 11 inches), two smartphones, one Fire tablet and a smart TV. I can probably get on the Internet with my toothbrush but I haven't read the manual yet. ;D

I first started working with computers in 1968 when I went to work for the FAA.  We actually had what amounted to an internet between FAA facilities way back then to exchange flight data.  I also did the online Forums when they started up, and the real internet when Al Gore first initiated it. ::)

In our home we have, (at last count), 5 computers, (two desk tops and three lap tops), An Ipad and two IPhones along with two E Readers and numerous calculators.
We also have three Garmins in our vehicles.

The DW stated that if I purchased an IPhone for her, she would never use it and would return it.  Then she found out she could use one to communicate with the Grandkids, and away we go.  She used hers constantly now.

SeilerBird said:
I still think texting is the dumbest thing in the world.

I've found that texting can be useful. It will allow one to communicate with another on a subject that doesn't require their immediate attention. The other person can look at the text and reply at their leisure and not be obligated to answer the phone when it's ringing off the hook. An example would be when Deb texts me to find out what I want for supper. The phone does a quick vibrate to let me know there's something there. It doesn't interfere with my work, and I can reply when it's convenient. Without texting, she would have to repeatedly call until I answer. Texting is also great to have a brief conversation without having someone yammer on about stuff you don't want to hear, usually at the most inopportune time.

On my Phone it has a feature I really like. If you send me a text message, All I have to do is hit one button and it will send a signal to the other person.....Followed with a vocal connection. So we can "HAVE A CONVERSATION" ;D ;D ;D

I HATE Texting....Although I will admit it has it place.

Happy Birthday Internet..

Since we're counting
3 Desktops
3 laptops
5 Kindles/tablet
3 cell phones
and a 5 terabyte server

And I remember a time when you had to make a call on a landline just to get the correct time. ;D ;D

kdbgoat said:
I've found that texting can be useful. It will allow one to communicate with another on a subject that doesn't require their immediate attention. The other person can look at the text and reply at their leisure and not be obligated to answer the phone when it's ringing off the hook. An example would be when Deb texts me to find out what I want for supper. The phone does a quick vibrate to let me know there's something there. It doesn't interfere with my work, and I can reply when it's convenient. Without texting, she would have to repeatedly call until I answer. Texting is also great to have a brief conversation without having someone yammer on about stuff you don't want to hear, usually at the most inopportune time.
Texting sure could be useful but I cannot figure out how to type with my thumbs. The buttons on the phone are way too small. I watch kids text and they are amazing, blurring thumbs. But with me it is about two words a minute.

Got involved with Usenet in '98.  Still friends on Facebook with some I met on the newsgroups, except now I know their real names.
In a 37' coach we have 3 laptops, 2 smart phones, and a tablet...satellite radio, GPS, and a CB.  Bring on the Zombie Apocalypse!

Texting.  Yeah, now that you don't have to push the button 3 times to get a "c".  Facebook messenger, too.  None of my kids will ever answer their phones, so I had to learn to text them if I needed anything. 
I don't type with my thumbs.  I don't even have to lift a finger off the screen, just sort of wave it around the keyboard and it figures out the words somehow.

kdbgoat said:

Actually, it's only the World Wide Web's birthday. The Internet itself is generally credited with being "born" on Jan 1st, 1983 when Bob Kahn and Vint Cerf's TCP/IP protocols were adopted as the new standard for the ARPANET that later became the Internet that the WWW rides on.

The youngsters these days tend not to do phone calls, it is all texting and I have to say I find myself doing it more and more. I think technology is making us a bit more selfish with our time. If I don't want a long chat then I just text.  Some day I am sure I will regret this when someone is not at the other end to talk to!

I think the youngsters will have trouble with RSI or arthritis and bent necks when they are older  :eek:

I was just starting college in 1995 when I got my first email address and discovered usenet chat rooms. Of course only a few people had the newest 14.4 dial-up connectivity at home then (and if they did it was closely metered and blocked the voice phone line) so I spent a lot of time between classes on the "free internet" in campus computer labs. You had to reserve computer usage, one hour at a time.

xrated said:
Long story short, I bought my first one in 1999 (Gateway of course)

...which were futuristically called "Gateway 2000's" at the time. ;) We got one at my house in 1996 maybe, and it looked a whole lot like the one in this 1997 commercial. Advertised complete PC package at $1499, which equates to around $2500 in today's dollars.

scottydl said:
...which were futuristically called "Gateway 2000's" at the time. ;) We got one at my house in 1996 maybe, and it looked a whole lot like the one in this 1997 commercial. Advertised complete PC package at $1499, which equates to around $2500 in today's dollars.

Interesting as it cost me about the same $2350 to build my own computer with top fo the line products two years ago.  The most expensive things were the Intel Processor and the video card.  Everything else was very reasonable, and the power supply was more expensive than the MSI gaming motherboard, lol

Back
Top Bottom