Easements - making sense of them and getting the facts

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an RV or an interest in RVing!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
I don't know about Texas real estate law but I took a real estate law class in California.

Discovered some interesting things about fences and easements. 

I'd suggest talking to a few real estate offices and ask them about easements, etc in Texas.

Today i got a letter in the mail from the electric coop. Inside was the rules and regs including Easements, its 15ft around any poles or utilities here in this community.

Not all states have deeds, I live in Louisiana and we do not have property deeds, property transactions are handled by historical title searches, and abstracts.  Of course Louisiana is also the only state in the US whose legal system is not based on English Common law.

Isaak, I think you meant to say Napoleonic Law, which is similar to the basis of Quebec's Law.  The rest of North America is based on the British System.

Ed

Ed, you are correct the Louisiana legal system is based on Napoleonic code, though in the last 45-50  years a lot has been done to bring it more into line with the other states.    I think you may have missed the word "not" in my last message.

Ike

Must be the reason there are so many french there,  why do the french love swampland.  I know the ports are important but it is a hard environment to live in.

It is a myth to think that all Cajuns in Louisiana live in the swamps.  The Cajun people were expelled from Canada in the early 1700's after the British took over the part of Canada where they were living, many of them ended up settling in Louisiana, though others settled and mostly assimilated with the local culture all along the lower US coast.  There were 3 major groups of Cajuns that settled in Louisiana, only 1 of which settled in a stereotypical swamp area (the Atchafalaya basin), one of the other two groups settled in the bayous (more like creeks) of the area around Marksville, and the other  group settled in the flat lands (historically pine woods) area around Ville Platte.

Thanks for the clarification Isaac-1, we dont often hear of the great pines or flat lands of Louisiana. So i suppose if one does not ever visit there it would be difficult to know about those things.  I am right next door in Texas, i should probably take a drive over there sometime to check it out, i am sure i would learn alot and be very surprised at what i find :) 

The Acadians who were expelled originally came from the lowlands of France to settle what is now called the Annapolis Valley.  They built dykes (you call them levies), with ingenious sleuth gates to allow the water to exit at low tide, but not allow the tide to flood their rich fertile fields.  So they were well experienced to move to the swamp or river areas along the southern US adjacent to the Gulf.  They were a very different migration of French than those who came to Quebec, who were woodsmen, military, and explorers.  Acadians were farmers and fishers, and when a new Britain versus France war was brewing, they were required to pledge allegiance to the Crown, which most refused to do , hence they were "Expelled".  Many went to various other locations in Canada, some went back to France, or some even went to the Caribbean, but those who went to the southern states became known as Cajuns.

Ed

Ed, thanks for that explanation, that is interesting stuff to learn about where people come from and their migration history. 

So basically it is a life skillset and perfectly normal environment to them.  I am a desert rat, i was born and raised in the desert (which is a life skillset of its own) so i know nothing about living in very wet climates. Even Texas challenges me many times. 

I have always said that people from the desert should never move and try to live around the ocean unless they have some sort of resource to learn the skillset.  It is a very different way of living and survival and showing up expecting to use another skillset to survive is dangerous.

So that helps explain why their vision of boundries and property lines is different as well.  Its not like you can paint the swamp or put a floating device in the water to mark your property line lol

I suppose even those that live in the northern dry part of Louisana probably have the wetlands skillset in them as well living so close to that enviornment and probably even have blood history of living in the south.

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Davidomero
Back
Top Bottom