Windsor/Detroit Border Crossing

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an RV or an interest in RVing!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

steelmooch

Hello all, and thanks for your time and consideration. 

I tried a search and didn't find this specific topic...sorry if it's a repeat...but I'd appreciate the input/help either way.  :)

We'll be crossing the US/Canada border in Detroit at hopefully a (relatively) "low" period of the early afternoon on a non-holiday weekday in July. 

I've read that both the Amabassador Bridge and Windsor Tunnel are options, and I was hoping for your recommendation. 

We'll be coming from the Sandusky, OH area...past Toledo...and approaching Detroit (presumably on a highway) from the south. 

We have a 23' TT behind a 21' van...about 44 feet of rig.  I'm a 3rd year camper with about 5,000 miles of towing under my belt...generally comfortable and competent...but would rather minimize the amount of tight/difficult "city" driving if one of the routes is more Detroit/Windsor-centric in a "difficult to navigate towing a trailer" kind of way. 

Our goal after crossing is to get on Ontario Route 3 and head SE toward lake Erie and the Pelee Point area. 

Any suggestions or shared experiences are much appreciated. 

Happy travels.  :)

I've done both - both ways a number of times driving a class "A" motorhome.
I favor the bridge even through the entrance to the bridge on the Detroit side has a number
of S/U type turns - they're not that tight.

Manage your fuel so you don't have to stop for fuel in Detroit prior to either crossing as they're not in the best of areas.

dcb

I second the bridge i would want to make that turn of Jefferson on snake into the tunnel. it is also closer to Lake Erie enjoy have your passports and remember no guns. I would get my food esp fresh after you cross into Canada somethings the will not let you bring in. 

Here are both wait times at the border websites.  One for each way.

http://www.cbsa-asfc.gc.ca/bwt-taf/menu-eng.html

https://bwt.cbp.gov/index.html

We have family in Canada and so we take our old motorhome there often. 
While we have taken the tunnel, it is not for the faint of heart.  The bridge is much easier to navigate and does not drop you in the center of Windsor.  The bridge will dump you right onto PH3.

The last exit in Ohio is Alexis Rd.  Make a note to stop there before you get into Michigan.  (I do and I live there.)  Do You have GasBuddy and a chance to look at prices and fuel stop access with Google Earth?  Do It! 

Yes, have passports ready both ways, no guns at all (Long ones are possible but a real PITA) and no fresh meat or produce.  Buy food in Canada and have it gone before you go home.   

The Duty Free Store is a good stop both ways, but don't try to push it on the liqueur going into Canada, they know what you bought. 

Leamington was a pretty town, but we haven't been there in a few years and the reduced the growing operations and I don't know what it is like now.  That end of Canada is flat farm land.  So we like PH20 better for the interest, but it is longer.

When returning to the USA be ready to be searched.  I have all the documentation as a trusted world traveler.  (I was a ship's engineer.) But they almost always want to look through the coach anyway.  Just don't be in any hurry and don't say ANYTHING.

Safe Travel

Matt

When I am crossing in that area I always use the Huron crossing bridges,, 60 miles north of Detroit and well worth the drive to avoid the MESS at Windsor.>>>Dan

Definitely the bridge over the tunnel.  The tunnel is low and the lanes are very narrow. The bridge is not modern and has fairly narrow lanes, but much less nerve-wracking than the tunnel! 

Enjoy Point Pelee.  Hope you are bird watchers.

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
RoyL57
Back
Top Bottom