Switch?

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an RV or an interest in RVing!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

mudshark

Hi All
Attached are two pictures of a switch panel we have. We have figured out the 4 switches in the top panel but the single one has us stumped.
The indicator lamp lights up red when we throw the switch but we don't know what it does. Anyone have any idea?

Attachments

• DSC05568.JPG
    DSC05568.JPG
    168.1 KB · Views: 88
  • DSC05569.JPG
    DSC05569.JPG
    200.7 KB · Views: 61
Our old RV had a switch very similar and it was for the 110 Volt AC heating element in the water heater.

Another vote for electric element in the water heater, note that if anyone ever turns that switch on when the water heater is empty it will burn the element out in a matter of seconds, then the indicator lamp will still work, but the water will not heat on AC electricity.  I ran into this problem on my coach as the previous owner could not figure out what the mystery switch did after trying it out with the water heater empty and winterized.

I'm gonna take a stab at this and say it was added after the RV was purchased originally.

First clue is they covered up the bottom part of the yellow warning label.

Second clue was that the manufacturer clearly labeled the top four switches. Stand alone switch is not labeled.

Third clue is top four switches had Phillips head screws, add on is a flat head screw.

Just my opinion....

This one I can't help you on.  Our coach doesn't have anything like that, but then, I don't have an electric element on my water heater either.  That's the answer that makes the most sense.

In my S/B, I use that style switch in some closets. The switches are outside the closet and when the doors are closed and the lights are on,I can't see any light from inside. So this switch really helps conserve.

Without seeing the RV I too will guess electric water heater..  Now Respecting the "After market" reply......

Questions.. Does the light come on without shore power??? or only with shore power?? (2nd option suggests water heater electric)

now go outside and open teh access for the water heater

Is there a nylong plug. or a metal plug. (About 1/2 inch diamater) lower left?

Or is there somethig with wires attached (HOTT ROD add-on electric element for water heater).

Thank you all. The majority of your replies point to the water heater. The electric side of our water heater was removed long before we bought the coach so we only heat by propane. Interesting question, I will have to see if it lights up without shore power. Looks like we have a useless circuit.

mudshark said:
Thank you all. The majority of your replies point to the water heater. The electric side of our water heater was removed long before we bought the coach so we only heat by propane. Interesting question, I will have to see if it lights up without shore power. Looks like we have a useless circuit.

What make and model water heater do you have?  If it was me, I'd see about restoring it back to original.

A month or so ago I had a repair guy over to check out the water heater when I was having trouble with the control board.
(I have since replaced the board with a "Dinosaur" board.)
He asked about the heating element. I told him that it was gone and the wires capped off. He said "Good. I won't replace them if someone asks."
He said that too many campers wired the electrode to any circuit that was handy instead of putting them on their own dedicated circuit. Too many chances of a fire. So that is where we stand today, no electric element.

1st, you said the wires were capped off. I would remove the wire nuts, turn that switch on and see if you have power at the wires.
Also, take a look at your 110 Volt AC entrance panel. Look for a breaker labeled "Water Heater".  If you have a circuit beaker, chances are the wire is the correct size if installed by factory.

If the element is gone, how was the hole sealed.

It would still be good if you give us the brand and model number of the heater.

Hi Guys
The heater is an Atwood Model #MPD93756.
Picture of the electric heater area attached.

Attachments

• DSC05573.JPG
    DSC05573.JPG
    238 KB · Views: 36
The heater element is probably on the backside of the heater. It may be inaccessable and maybe the previous owner went with the Hot Rod.

I just looked up your model number and it looks like it was just for propane. The Hot Rod is a good option to use.  Saves on propane.  Are the wires still there near the heater? If they are, turn on the switch and see if you have power there. If you do and the Hot Rod doesn't work it may be burnt out. Just replace it. 

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Dmac3003
Back
Top Bottom