Water damage help

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an RV or an interest in RVing!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Jey

Hello all

I?m brand new here and just obtained my first travel trailer. It?s. 2012 coachmen clipper 16

It was owned by a couple in their late 70s who could no longer use it.

The kicker was it had previous water damage. I was told the window had leaked and the floor and counter top were damaged. They told me the dealership fixed the floor and installed the stick on wood flooring instead of carpet this time (they gave me the leftover extra pieces of the flooring) but they didn?t fix the counter top (so the top had peeled up) however there was still significant water damage.

I?ve made a video walking through the damage and I?m hoping someone who watches it can give me some pointers on where to start. I know I  have to tear everything out and I?m hoping with the help of my dad we can get it fixed because I really love this little camper and I?m not afraid to get my hands dirty and do lots of research.

https://youtu.be/ghT3Z5CQpEs

Welcome to the RV Forum Jey

I'm on a Non-RV Trip with very limited internet...So no Video for me.

Hopefully someone will be along with a better connection that can offer some help

Well, if it's just the window that leaked, that is good news.  Roof rot is much bigger of a problem.  You are on the right track, make sure the window no longer leaks, and tear out any soft flooring and replace it. Repair and replace walls as needed. Plywood and paneling is fairly cheap, most of your efforts will be labor. Take lots of pictures of things you take apart, to make re-installing them much easier. 

With whwt appears to be that extensive amount of damage I would consider scrapping it.    Even DIY the cost of repairing it could far exceed the value.

That's more than a little water damage! I hope you got a very good bargain on the trailer, like a few hundred dollars. If the window leaked enough to cause that much damage, I'd guess the interior of the wall is damaged as well. Has the roof been checked for soft spots as well?

The repair work done so far is sloppy, more cosmetic than anything else. I'd probably strip it out and start over. It's apparent, though, that you lack the handyman skills to do the repairs yourself (unless perhaps you have a knowledgeable friend to help). Paying somebody else to do the work would cost more than the trailer is worth.

The refrigerator access doors just push in and I don't see anything obviously missing. The little black squares in the corners twist to lock once the door panel is in place.

I suppose you could continue the type of cosmetic work already done, laying plywood over the soft spots and covering with new flooring or whatever. Maybe use the trailer for a few trips and then sell it off cheaply before it falls apart.

Well I can say I?ve been getting lots of mixed opinions on this project.

My dad who will be helping me with this project has built houses before so I know he has some knowledge to help me out. Granted he has never worked on a travel trailer before I think we may be able to tackle this. I?m very nervous about it but I?ve already committed to it. We will be tearing everything (well mostly everything) out

At the end of the day we are replacing wood beams and plywood, I think we?re gonna be able to do it. Roof feels fine, According to the previous owners it was resealed 6 months ago and they gave me the leftover sealant but I will end up buying new. I only work about 35-37hrs a week and have no kids so time is available to me.

I?ve made a new video showing what we have gotten done so far

https://youtu.be/76OfGK1o_Og

I?ve attached a photo of the underside of the counter top that sat right under the window.

My dad is convinced that there never was a leak, But that the owners had parked it after a trip and unknowingly left the window wide open. He said it looks like the rain came right in the window, down the wall, onto the counter top and right down to the floor.

Here?s my theory, If he?s right and the water is a result of the window being open then it could have very well happened during our last hurricane. The owners are elderly and live in a trailer park which means they most likely left before the storm hit and if that window was left open then all that rain came right in.

Maybe my story is far fetched but it really makes more sense to me than the window simply leaking onto the counter top.

Either way.. we have a lot of work to do.

Jey said:
Well I can say I?ve been getting lots of mixed opinions on this project.

My dad who will be helping me with this project has built houses before so I know he has some knowledge to help me out. Granted he has never worked on a travel trailer before I think we may be able to tackle this. I?m very nervous about it but I?ve already committed to it. We will be tearing everything (well mostly everything) out

At the end of the day we are replacing wood beams and plywood, I think we?re gonna be able to do it. Roof feels fine, According to the previous owners it was resealed 6 months ago and they gave me the leftover sealant but I will end up buying new.

As Gary said... "indeed you do".....

I've owned and repaired worse, so your investment is mainly your labor and materials, so take photos, make plenty of measurements and don't hesitate to ask questions. Fix everything that you can while it's apart and when you get it back together you'll have gained more experience than you can buy about your trailer and can look forward to some good times camping!
Salvage what you can but remember it doesn't have to look like it came out of the factory. Substitute trim where needed, customize it to fit your needs....... And good luck with the project.

Jey said:
My dad who will be helping me with this project has built houses before so I know he has some knowledge to help me out.
Your dad sounds plenty handy, and probably has access to scrap materials.  Be slow taking the old apart, the more you un-necessarily damage stuff on the tear-out, the more you have to buy :eek:
And enjoy the time with your dad, you will learn a bunch, and have great memories of that time.  Keep us posted.

Jey said:
Thank you!

Here?s an update

https://youtu.be/UtMxnHAABcY
Regarding the refrigerator and getting it out the trailer door, the refrigerator door comes off the refrigerator pretty easily and this should allow the fridge to be removed from the trailer with the front or rear of the refrigerator facing the door opening. Get the model off of it, usually found inside the refrigerator compartment, and you can find the service manual online that will give you lots of info, including installation steps.

The water heater can be removed relatively easily from the outside once you disconnect the plumbing and gas fittings. The outside water heater access door will give you access to the screws that secure the water heater in the opening. Remove the screws. The metal flange of the water heater that presses against the outside wall surface will have a butyl tape sealant between it and the wall. Use a 4 inch or so wide putty knife, sliding it between the flange and the wall to cut and release the sealant from the flange and pull the heater out from the opening.

Most of the cabinetry is just 1"X1" framing with 1/8" Luan plywood walls for light weight and just stapled together with framing screwed to the floor and wall. Most of the wall panels and door opening joints have narrow trim pieces stapled to the edges that cover the assembly screws. Look closely and you will see the small staples. Using a small screwdriver, carefully pry the staple up and grab them with a needle-nose pliers and pull the out to reveal hidden screws.
Hope this helps.

Take your time, don't get frustrated, and you'll be through before you know it.

As far as the panel with 2 screws, that may be for access to your CONverter. The CONverter converts 110Volt AC power (shore power) to 12 Volt DC power for all your lights, furnace, fridge etc.

It as mentioned by regval about the the cheap thin material which everything is built out of. This is to keep the weight down. Keep that in mind when you start the rebuild, if they used 1/2" plywood for something, don't upgrade to 3/4". If you do, you'll be over weight for towing and the axles before you know it.

Keep going. You're doing great.  ;) ;) ;)

Thank you everyone!

Would this be a good choice for the walls?

https://m.lowes.com/pd/RevolutionPly-5mm-Poplar-Plywood-Application-as-4-X-8/50121135

So, it looks like the seal around the window is bad and allowing water to intrude, Good job finding where the water is entering.

Jey said:
I found the LEAK.

Good job!  It certainly can be coming in at the top of window outside and running along a track in the frame.  But some good, RV caulk around the window should fix it. 

Yikes, that's a lot of damage. Its great that you are not discouraged though. Windows seals are a BIG problem in used RVs. Most people don't inspect their seals on a regular like you are supposed to.

I have decided that the first thing I am going to do when buying a used camper is to take off all of the windows, trim, vents, etc and apply new mastic. Removing the fixtures will give me insight as to if there was previously a leak without making extra holes and once I do it, I know it will be at least 5 years before I have to worry about those joints leaking. FYI, the screws holding the trim on the outside rust from the inside out, so if the heads under the plastic trim cover are rusty, there was water damage inside the walls.

Back
Top Bottom