Good tow vehicle other than pickup truck?

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an RV or an interest in RVing!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

ChipSmith

We are thinking about switching to a travel trailer; I really don?t want to shell out bookoo thousands for even a used pickup. What is a good alternative?

http://www.rvforum.net/SMF_forum/index.php/topic,120403.0/topicseen.html 

After looking at that wreck I don't think there is a good alternative.  Get a big truck. 

A picture is worth a thousand words!!

Depending on the size of camper you want, the answer can be anything.  DO NOT look at advertised towing capacity.  That applies only to a base model of the vehicle with no options except tow package and two 150 lb passengers, towing a load of bricks on a flatbed trailer.

Start by looking at the proposed tow vehicle Payload.  Inside the driver door on the latch pillar is a yellow border placard which states the maximum weight of all passengers and cargo shall not exceed xxxx lbs.  This is exactly what it states.  It includes the weight of all passengers and cargo carried in the TV (Tow Vehicle) PLUS the weight of the WD hitch (80 lbs) AND the hitch wt of the trailer.  Hitch wt MUST be at least 10% of the GVWR (Gross Vehicle Weight Rating) of the TT (Travel Trailer).

A mid size SUV may tow a SMALL TT while a large SUV, like a Suburban or Expedition may be okay with a 6,000# or 7,000# TT.  Anything bigger will require a truck, unless you want your picture posted here like the one above  :-[  Always check the numbers!!!!

All vehicles have tow ratings, stay within them and you will be fine. Accident's happen, even to full size pick-ups- and semi's. No one is exempt. In case you haven't noticed, the narrative around here is you need a 1 ton truck and it doesn't matter what your towing.  :eek:

Most likely a full-sized van or SUV, but smaller SUVs can handle little trailers and pop-ups.  Need to talk about what size trailer you woul consider towing.

Considering you have a 29' Class C, I would guess you want at least a 25' Trailer.  Anything 25' and over is too much for a Suburban or YukonXL, so ...
ps: I drive a well maintained 2005 YukonXL

why do you NOT want a pickup? many ride like cars these days and are super comfy and versatile, they also come in a variety of sizes depending upon your needs. And if looking at used if you go to Idaho or Wash state - or Montana you can get some smokin deals

Hanr3 said:
All vehicles have tow ratings, stay within them and you will be fine. Accident's happen, even to full size pick-ups- and semi's. No one is exempt. In case you haven't noticed, the narrative around here is you need a 1 ton truck and it doesn't matter what your towing.  :eek:
You left off the word "dually". You need that also. Lol

You can get a Suburban or Yukon XL rated for towing around 8000 lbs, which should get you into a 30 ft trailer, but that's about the upper limit.

There are many really nice pick-ups these days, smooth and comfortable and nicely trimmed out. You don't have to give up car-like amenities. And a crew cab model is quality seating for 4 or more.  However, pick-ups are extremely popular and that keeps the prices up.

Gary RV_Wizard said:
You can get a Suburban or Yukon XL rated for towing around 8000 lbs, which should get you into a 30 ft trailer, but that's about the upper limit.
But the usual 5.3 engine... just not a workhorse.  I have the tow package, and that helps, bigger radiator, transy cooler etc. There are other options, but my TT loaded is close to 6200 lbs, and I would not want to take it to the mountains.  It crys down in the hills in TN. I have a neighbor, pulled a 25' TT in the mountains, once. He now owns a Ram 2500. I guess I would safely say, size aside, I would not want to pull a TT more than 7000# with my YukonXL. 

Ford, Chevy and GM and to some extent Nissan all have a good line of 2500 and 3500 vans that you get equipped with tow packages rated to tow up to 10000 lbs. i don?t think they are as expensive as trucks and have tons of room inside.

This is an area where you get what you pay for. I doubt that you will find any equivalent to a given pick up that is much cheaper than the pick up. TANSTAAFL!

Ernie

Ernie n Tara said:
This is an area where you get what you pay for. I doubt that you will find any equivalent to a given pick up that is much cheaper than the pick up. TANSTAAFL!

Ernie

Well, everyone has an opinion and we all know what opinions are like. I know it?s hard for some truck folks to understand but not everyone wants a truck. I wish I would have purchased a 3/4 or 1 ton van instead of the Nissan Frontier we got bought.

Oldgator73 said:
I know it?s hard for some truck folks to understand but not everyone wants a truck. I wish I would have purchased a 3/4 or 1 ton van instead of the Nissan Frontier we got bought.
I'm looking to replace my YukonXL, possibly.  I am not a fan of trucks, per se, what am I going to haul in the bed, (I have a cargo trailer if I need to haul stuff). and the back seat in pickups just is not the same as the 2nd row in the YukonXL, it seems to sit closer to the front seats.  Although the 3rd row in the YukonXL is not the best, kids or small adults get back there and don't complain.

I'm actually feeling like waiting a year with hopes of finding a 2018 Suburban 2500 used.  They are too darn expensive new.  My YukonXL is marginal even with my smaller trailer, and I might like to upgrade a bit, and also travel out west in the mountains.

I had a conversion van before the YukonXL, we loved it.  I guess that is a thought, finding a 2500 conversion van, hmmm...

SpencerPJ said:
and the back seat in pickups just is not the same as the 2nd row in the YukonXL, it seems to sit closer to the front seats. 

You need to check out some crew cap pickups.  My Dodge has more room in back seat than neighbor new Denali SUV.

I have had Yukons and Suburbans my current Super Duty has more leg room than both Yukons and Suburbans - its almost Limo big and the ride is amazing. a 2500 series Suburban is a whole different beast than the 1500 series. my Truck rides better than my Dads Kia Sportage and has more bells and whistles too BUT, it also cost more and is  ton bigger - but i cant pull my 5er with a Kia so its a trade 

Lowell said:
You need to check out some crew cap pickups.  My Dodge has more room in back seat than neighbor new Denali SUV.

I will, and I will place the seats as I ride. (I'm a tall big guy).

steveblonde said:
I have had Yukons and Suburbans my current Super Duty has more leg room than both Yukons and Suburbans - its almost Limo big and the ride is amazing. a 2500 series Suburban is a whole different beast than the 1500 series. my Truck rides better than my Dads Kia Sportage and has more bells and whistles too BUT, it also cost more and is  ton bigger - but i cant pull my 5er with a Kia so its a trade 
Are you speaking of the new 2500 Suburbans?  I am interested.  I just don't have a need for a p/u and bed, and would use a covered rear area more often.  I like the ride of my YukonXL.

Any 2500/3500 series suburban is a great work horse super comfortable and reliable - but true to GM style it lacks in size inside and the interior is somewhat boring when you compare a Ram or Ford these days - dont get me wrong i may drive a Ford but im still a huge GM fan. But GM makes old man truck for old men (they are just too conservative) lol

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
freetoroam
Back
Top Bottom