My First RV Show

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an RV or an interest in RVing!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

IBTripping

Today, GF and I went to the Mid-Atlantic RV Expo outside Richmond, VA. It was a big show with a huge number of TTs, 5ers, and Class A, B, and C models. Some seemed priced to sell and a lot of people were buying. Not a lot of non-RV related vendors.

First mistake was inviting GF. She was enthralled with all modern stuff that ours doesn't have. Saw a nice Coachmen TT ultra light with one slide and outside kitchen. GVWR was only a little over 7,000 lbs. Advised her it's an entry level brand and was light weight with a lot of options for a reason. Next we went into a beautiful Grand Design TT. GF quickly saw the quality and really liked it. She also like a Tiffin Phaeton until I noted that each tire of the 6 on the rig cost $1,000 each. Finally, both of us fell in love with a hugh Cross Creek TT.

Got to talking to a family also looking at the Cross Creek. Father said he has a 38 foot TT, but thinking about the Cross Creek. I asked if he has a 1 ton dually. Nope. F250 and single rear tires. Diesel? Nope. Gasser. Seriously? What's that like driving in the mountains? Don't know because he RVs mostly in local flat country. Come on; you must have encountered some steep hills? Wife says yes and they are the slowest vehicle on the road going up hills. NOT SURPRISED!!!

Saw a lot of other RVs, but had sense enough not to try going inside all of them. I was very impressed with a 3 slide 34 foot Nexus Ghost, a Super C. It sits on a stout International Durastar chassis and is powered by a 360 hp Cummins diesel.  It's big, heavy, and powerful. Towing a large toad would be not problem.

However, the most interesting part of the show was as we were leaving. We stopped at a small booth which has a drawing for a 1,000 gallons of fuel. The booth is sponsored by a local family owned RV dealer. The 30 something sales woman surprised me by how  knowledgeable and forthright she was. Told her we weren't looking to buy anything. But, we had a nice visit.  Told her I had an old Coachmen TT that was built solid, but wouldn't consider buying a new TT of that brand. She said the brand had deteriorated in quality. Said she'd recommend the Grand Design brand. We also had a nice discussion on the consolidation in the industry. She also knew the difference between UVW and GVWR and said she always asked customers info about their TV to make sure they don't buy too much trailer for the TV.

Told her I was upgrading and making mods on my TT. She gave me a business card, wrote the name of the repair supervisor, and invited me to visit and ask for advice on the best way to repair or modify - no charge. Maybe that's how their family owned business operates, but I was very impressed.

Now, I'm home waiting for all the phone calls and emails to start from all the drawings I entered.  ;D ;D ;D But, if I win the 1,000 gallons of gas, it will be worth it. LOL

IBTripping said:
First mistake was inviting GF. She was enthralled with all modern stuff that ours doesn't have.

They should have let in in for free  ;)
I like window shopping, but at the end of the day, they tend to all be a blur.  Some stuff looks great, but out in the real world element, highly impracticable. Hope you win free gas, but keep in mind, free to enter means you just got on a mailing list, forever.  ;)

SpencerPJ said:
They should have let in in for free  ;)
I like window shopping, but at the end of the day, they tend to all be a blur.  Some stuff looks great, but out in the real world element, highly impracticable. Hope you win free gas, but keep in mind, free to enter means you just got on a mailing list, forever.  ;)

Agree. But, with our Good Sam card, the admission was half off at $5/person. And I know I'll be on some email & phone lists. That's what I really meant by saying I'm waiting for the calls & emails. But, as you say, fun to window shop.

Incidentally, the most intense sales pitch was after we left the RV show and stopped at a Bass Pro store. There was an RV campground booth which offered us a 4 night stay at an RV resort for $129. I kept saying "we'll think about it" and the salesman kept adding a"free" cash card starting at $50 and finally going up to $150. I finally asked, do we have to set through an "RV timeshare seminar?" He avoided a direct answer, so I firmly said "NO" and walked away.

Back
Top Bottom