Newbie looking at Winnebago Outlook 27D as first RV

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an RV or an interest in RVing!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
I can't find much info or no review on this 2019 model that we re looking at. Anyone have this model and would care to talk about it?

https://winnebagoind.com/products/class-c/2019/outlook/overview

Thanks,
Jff

Hi Jeff and welcome. Generally speaking, Winnebago's build quality is pretty good. The Ford chassis has been around forever so no issues there as far as I know. I don't know where the Outlook sits in the pecking order of Winnebago's Class C line up but the lower end models won't have the same fabric quality, maybe more vinyl and less real wood, lower end fixtures, maybe no generator or inverter, etc.

Best thing to do is look at and compare as many similar size units from different manufacturers as possible. Pull out drawers and check the drawer box quality. Look in every cubby hole to get a feel for attention to quality and detail. Compare features, cargo carrying capacity, check tow limitations if you are going to pull a car or trailer. Consider if you want jacks to stabilize the unit when set up for camping. Look at the water and electrical hookup area - easy to access? Easy to pull hoses out to dump tanks? Good storage capacity in the bay doors?

If you are a DIY guy, Winnebago has all plumbing and electrical diagrams online (and parts list) - a major bonus if you like to tinker.

Be advised RV sales people will probably not have detailed knowledge about every model they carry and they might not have any camping experience. Assume they know nothing about a particular model and camping in general until proven otherwise.

I can't help with the specific model, I just wanted to point out that it seems Winnebago is in the process of consolidating down their product line, they started this a year or so ago eliminating some redundant mostly similar models, and appear to be doing more of this again this year.  Overall Winnebago seems to have a better than average reputation in the industry with a fairly loyal customer base.

In our WIT chapter we have several of the Sprinter models and some Minnie Winnies. For my money, I would like the Minnies better than the Mercedes models given a similar size. I think they are more liveable, more roomy, and easier to use. I think you could buy a lot of gas to make up the difference in cost between the two. Of course I'm not considering resale, maintenance, etc but I've always had Ford vehicles and never had any problems. One recommendation, if you can get full body paint in the style you want I'd pay the extra for it.

In my opinion it is stupid to start out in a hobby with a $85k RV. Most newbys get it wrong and after a year or so they trade it in on what they really should have gotten in the first place. RVs depreciate like a rock so you would loose a large bundle trading it in to trade up. Start with a $20k used model and see how you like RVing and then figure out what you really wanted in an RV. This will limit your losses.

sEILERBIRD, Thanks for the comments. First off this model is $60,000 at the dealer not $85. Secondly if you knew my wife you would know that this is the correct model (class C) for us. I have been looking at used models and have found a few we like but nothing in the $20,000 range.

Jeff & Zita

SeilerBird said:
In my opinion it is stupid to start out in a hobby with a $85k RV. Most newbys get it wrong and after a year or so they trade it in on what they really should have gotten in the first place. RVs depreciate like a rock so you would loose a large bundle trading it in to trade up. Start with a $20k used model and see how you like RVing and then figure out what you really wanted in an RV. This will limit your losses.

jeffpiercemagic said:
I can't find much info or no review on this 2019 model that we re looking at. Anyone have this model and would care to talk about it?
https://winnebagoind.com/products/class-c/2019/outlook/overview

For comparison, look at the Class A Intent.

https://winnebagoind.com/products/class-a-gas/2019/intent/overview

Depreciation is significant, just a fact of life.  Another fact of life: Things are gonna break, new or used, doesn't matter.

YouTube: Go there, search and find videos on the Outlook.  Search and find videos on buying an RV.  Search and find videos on NOT buying an RV from Camping World.

Good luch.

Both the Intent and Outlook are the first rubber roof Winnebagos - they are definitely entry level in every way.  To me, they have really compromised their name and quality going to rubber roofs and it was disappointing to see then on the assembly line last year. 

If it were me I would step back a few years and go with a higher level model, or if you like new, at least jump to the Minnie Winnie or spirit and get the fiberglass roof and a few more features Winnebago used to offer as standard. 

Mile High said:
Both the Intent and Outlook are the first rubber roof Winnebagos - they are definitely entry level in every way.  To me, they have really compromised their name and quality going to rubber roofs and it was disappointing to see then on the assembly line last year.....
Rubber roof, wow - that's a huge departure from the standard Filon roof Winnie used for many, many years. I know next to nothing about rubber RV roofs but that is certainly something for the prospective buyer to carefully evaluate.

Then there's the situation that Winnebago doesn't have years of experience with them on the assembly line or servicing them. They could be fine and be trouble free but that would take a few years to establish.

Wow! Winnebago seems to be headed downward. Emułating Thor I guess.

I love the floorplan of the 2019 outlook, probably the most storage I've seen on any rv but I thought the build quality matched the lower price and it was void of features like back up camera. How can you have a rv without a backup camera? We are looking at other models and manufacturers. No rush, want to get the right one for us.

On a side note, what do you think of a refrigerator that only runs on gas from the ford truck, no propane? Is that a smart idea?

Jeff and Zita

OP said: "On a side note, what do you think of a refrigerator that only runs on gas from the ford truck, no propane? Is that a smart idea?"

I've never heard of a refrigerator running on gasoline. Looked at the link you provided to Winnebago but the manuals require a serial number to view them.  Wanted to see what they said about gasoline refrigerators.

I've had rubber roofs on trailers and would never own an RV with one now. 

Their opening page said "Reimagining the Class C Coach"  Yeah they reimagined it alright.  I imagine I wouldn't buy it.

Arch Hoagland said:
OP said: "On a side note, what do you think of a refrigerator that only runs on gas from the ford truck, no propane? Is that a smart idea?"

I've never heard of a refrigerator running on gasoline. Looked at the link you provided to Winnebago but the manuals require a serial number to view them.  Wanted to see what they said about gasoline refrigerators.
I looked at the Outlook brochure and the fridge is a "residential" model. Not sure where the gas idea came from.

I've had rubber roofs on trailers and would never own an RV with one now. 

Their opening page said "Reimagining the Class C Coach"  Yeah they reimagined it alright.  I imagine I wouldn't buy it.
LOL. Curiously there is zero mention of the roof material in the brochure. The fairly new Winnebago Executive Leadership Team had a focus of getting more younger (and/or less affluent) buyers into a product - now we are seeing the result of that strategy.

jeffpiercemagic said:
I love the floorplan of the 2019 outlook, probably the most storage I've seen on any rv but I thought the build quality matched the lower price and it was void of features like back up camera. How can you have a rv without a backup camera? We are looking at other models and manufacturers. No rush, want to get the right one for us.

Good to see you're still looking... You're gonna want slides. You're gonna want more room than you think you want now. It feels and looks big now but it's gonna get smaller after your first trip... 

Backup camera: My Winnebago came with one. It broke. That model was no longer available, spare parts completely out of inventory. So I installed a Furrion  wireless backup camera. Very happy.

jeffpiercemagic said:
On a side note, what do you think of a refrigerator that only runs on gas from the ford truck, no propane? Is that a smart idea?

No propane would be interesting. And if you have a convection/microwave without a stovetop then you don't need a propane tank at all... I think I like that idea...

On my RV the #1 Rule is "No Standing."  You're either moving or you're sitting. Review your floorplan again thinking about moving around, getting something out of the fridge, going to the bathroom, etc.

John Canfield said:
LOL. Curiously there is zero mention of the roof material in the brochure. The fairly new Winnebago Executive Leadership Team had a focus of getting more younger (and/or less affluent) buyers into a product - now we are seeing the result of that strategy.
It is interesting that neither the Intent Class A or Outlook Class C brochures have a page illustrating construction like all of the other brochures. 

The ventilator fans are terrible - $50 vortex fans in lieu of the max air or fantastik fans.  Every dollar is squeezed out.

We are entering our third season with our Minnie Winnie 26A.  I can tell you without hesitation that we couldn't be happier with our decision.  Three slides on a 27' coach give us a surprisingly roomy and comfortable interior (we LOVE the layout), while still being relatively light in weight and easy to maneuver.  No rubber roof was a big thing for me, and so far, so good.  Materials in the interior are pretty good - better than I may have expected for a relatively "entry level" coach.  Stainless kitchen sink, plastic lav sink and toilet.  Can't say enough good about the separate shower!  Everything is holding up well so far, and we've had almost no problems.  Only had two warranty issues:

1.  Loose wall paneling in bedroom.  Quickly and easily fixed by dealer, and bulletproof ever since.
2.  Coleman AC died.  I suspect this was due to a low voltage situation at a campground.  I have an EMS now, so now more worries about that.  Dealer worked with Coleman to replace under warranty, and only took a couple of days start to finish.

Other than those items, quality has been very good, IMO.  We've used everything many times now, and it's been performing beautifully. 

Three slides does give this model the smallest basement storage volume in the Minnie Winnie family, but it's worked fine for our needs.  We're happy with that trade off. 

E-450 chassis is darn near indestructible, and has MORE than enough power for our size rig.  Bonus - you can get it serviced nearly anywhere!

Comes with two Fantastic Fans, one over the overhead cab bunk, one in the bedroom.  Standard bathroom fan, too.

Nice Onan gas genny, which has been fine.  Fridge, water heater and furnace all the "usual" name brands - no strange knock offs.  A nice built-in black tank flush has been very nice to have, too.

One thing to watch - the black/gray tank drain does hang a bit low.  Hasn't caused us any issues, but it's something to be aware of if you have a steep driveway approach or plan on going into rough terrain off-road situations. 

I'm a Winnebago fan, for sure.  I'd encourage you to look seriously at the Minnie Winnies.  In my opinion, you get a noticeably better coach, with better materials and quality and more features for not too much more than the Outlook.

Feel free to ask any detailed questions.  Like most, I do enjoy talking about it.  Especially since it's coming out of winter storage any day now!

FunSteak said: 
"2.  Coleman AC died.  I suspect this was due to a low voltage situation at a campground."

I was in a campground Dodge City where the voltage dropped very low and four people had their air conditioners wrecked the day before I got there. Left mine off while I was there! 

Now I know why they say 'Let's get the heck out of Dodge City'.

Our coach was brand new when I hardwired a Progressive 50 amp surge/low-high voltage monitor in our electric bay. Never ever had one problem with any damage in over 115,000 miles of RVing. I always carry a Hughes autoformer (buck-boost) with me for the once in a great while where a campground has outdated wiring and low voltage. Last time I used it was at a Fantasy Tour event for the EAA shindig in Oshkosh - we were all running on a very large generator.

Back
Top Bottom