Clammy interior paper - water leak?

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an RV or an interest in RVing!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

thelazyl

We have a 2003 Fleetwood bounder DP and recently had a heck of a rain storm on our last trip.  The attached photo shows an interior area below a window.  The wallpaper-like material is slightly warped and it feels somewhat clammy to the touch.  There are no water marks; it is not wet or even moist.    Before we purchased it we closely inspected the walls ? ceiling and floor ? for any water marks including areas behind drawers and cabinets.  There were no such water marks.

I inspected the window from the outside.  It has black rubber ?molding? about 1 inch in width.  There is no caulking.  Based on my novice understanding I didn?t see a problem.

Is the warmed/clammy aspect something I should be concerned about?  What do you recommend as a next step? 

Thanks in advance.

Attachments

• Clammy Interior.png
    Clammy Interior.png
    123.6 KB · Views: 75
Correction:

Is the WARPED/clammy aspect something I should be concerned about?  What do you recommend as a next step? 

thelazyl said:
Correction:

Is the WARPED/clammy aspect something I should be concerned about?  What do you recommend as a next step?

Just wanted to say you could have made a correction by clicking on the modify button over to the right above your post.

We had wrinkling in the wall paper in our class C, and sure enough it developed into a good leak under the window. We ended up having to replace the wall panelling.

Bill

You have a leaking window seal. The interior paneling is starting to delaminate based on your description. The outside wall could also be in trouble. Watch this video:https://youtu.be/ihl3eeDLdCU,
Read this:http://www.delamrepair.com/rvwalldelaminationrepairquestions.html

All, here is an update: I attached a photo of the top edge of my window.  I can see the caulking needs to be replaced.  There is old caulking on the top edge of the window that also covers a few inches down each side (it doesn't go all the way around the window). While inspecting the other windows I see that they too need caulking replaced.  I therefore plan to remove old caulking, clean with denatured alcohol, then re-apply a clear exterior caulk.

Regarding the interior - it feels completely dry which makes sense given our nice weather in recent weeks.  As I mentioned in my original post there is very slight buckling under this one window with no discoloration.  During a heavy rain storm I noticed the paper felt clammy but not moist. 

Do you think I will be OK by simply re-applying good caulking?  Or do I have a more serious issue that requires a repair for delamination as someone mentioned above?

As a reminder I am a newish RV owner and only semi-handy with home repair jobs.

Attachments

• Window Leak 1.jpg
    Window Leak 1.jpg
    39.6 KB · Views: 35
The visible caulking around the exterior edge of the window frame is a back-up in case the primary fails. Obviously yours has, so you need to remove the leaky window frames and put new caulk between the frame and the sidewall. Butyl tape is used for that.

There are several videos on YouTube showing how - it's not difficult.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=K02m24R73B0
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=9ZIHaEOwtm4

I have a final question.  I watched the video and agree this is a simpler DIY project.  I plan to do it.  I am very grateful for the help on this Gary.

My only question is the cost of the kit from the vendor's website.  The kit is $99 and shipping is $50.  I have NO issue at all with the total cost.  It's an important fix and in the big scheme of things is "pocket change".  I just have an issue with the $50 shipping.  I hate to sound cheap - but sometimes I am.

In your opinion is the total cost of $150 reasonable? 

Gary & All,
Before I remove the window I have a question. I attached a photo where I highlighted a squishy black rubber thing that goes around the window.  It looks like an inner tube that protrudes between the window's edge and the edge of the RV. 

I didn't see the inner-tube thing in the YouTube you kindly sent me. 

When I replace the core material around the window - will I also need to replace the inner-tube part?

I found a mobile RV tech that is willing to help me if needed.  I'd really like to be able to do this on my own first.

Thanks again for your help,
Mark

Attachments

• Window Leak 2.png
    Window Leak 2.png
    125.8 KB · Views: 21
I think some butyl tape black although it's usually gray.

If moisture got into the wall then delamination probably has begun. It does not long or much moisture. Once you pull the window you'll probably find some separation of the plywood, paneling, etc. Water leaks in windows, seals etc is a well known problem.
Contact these people for best info on fixing sealing, caulking, and other wall and roof issues.
www.delamrepair.com

Thank you, all, for your help.  I found something new last weekend and have concluded I need a good RV repair to help me out.  I am glad to hear any other input.

I noticed something that we did not pick up upon inspection last fall before we purchased.  In addition to the wallpaper being slightly buckled the wall behind it is soft to the touch ? it is ?mushy? behind the wallpaper.  At inspection we looked for inside water stains, only, which explains why this was overlooked.  Since I found the soft area I?ve looked at every nook and cranny on the inside. There are no other buckling / soft areas.

I?ve attached a picture.  The area between the fire extinguisher and the Altoid can is approx. 12 inches horizontally along the floor.  It is located below the far left corner of a window.  The wall softness extends up another 10 inches.  In the picture you will see a stain on the wallpaper ? my DW has spilled her coffee a few times.  There are no other visible water stains.

Outside of this one soft area the rest of the wall is solid including all around the window.  Also, at times the inside track in which the window travels is very moist.

Thanks again and input is more than welcome.

Attachments

• Mushy Wall.jpg
    Mushy Wall.jpg
    89.9 KB · Views: 17
My 2 cents, of course Gary offers the best advise.  As far as the level of repair you want, well, what level or condition is your rig?  A couple RVs ago, I had a 83 class C, great, solid older unit.  Window leaked as yours.  I loosened the screws, pushed window away from outside wall 1/8", caulked in between the window and frame, tightened window screws back up, cleaned up excess that squeezed out, and that window never leaked again.  That soft mushy wood inside, well that will never be right unless you replace it, and that will get involved.  If you stop the leak, and the wood dries out, is that acceptable to you?  If not, find a good handy person  :))

Here is an update:
I dropped off our RV to a local repair facility.  The RV is a 2003 Fleetwood DP.  During the intake process the technician doubted that the buckled and soft area near the floor is caused by a window leak. In his experience a window leak creates a problem immediately below the window - not along the floor.  He suspects that an outside trim seam (which runs horizontally down the length of the RV) or perhaps a bad seal with an outside storage compartment.  Regardless they are going to take a close look at it. 

When I have the final answer I will report back.  Thanks again for your input.

I just got the word back from the RV repair place.  The problem was so simple I missed it - the weep holes needed to be cleaned.  There are no other seal problems.  I just watched a youtube about using compressed air to clear them out.  I made this way to complicated for myself.

Latest posts

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
aquaticvegetation
Back
Top Bottom