Carrier Bearings

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an RV or an interest in RVing!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Deano2002

I notice the rubber around the 2 carrier bearings are a little loose in the housing, probably 1/16" up and down/side to side slop. U joints seem good but, I do feel a slight drive shaft vibration/humm going down the road. Box auto parts stores cant seem to help me on the bearings, most likely it is different than the stock P30. Am I going to have to pull them and try to picture match them?

Carrier bearings have to have some give in them. 1/16? sounds tight to me.

I'm not an expert here, but that truck is getting on. I had to replace the rear U joint on my 06 GMC 1 ton last year. It started out with a vibration as well. Eventually the dry u joint started squeaking, so was easy to identify. Has the rear U joint been checked? Their failure is more common.

Frank B said:
I'm not an expert here, but that truck is getting on. I had to replace the rear U joint on my 06 GMC 1 ton last year. It started out with a vibration as well. Eventually the dry u joint started squeaking, so was easy to identify. Has the rear U joint been checked? Their failure is more common.
I have not checked lately no squeaking though

If it rubber on the carrier bearing is hard, I'd replace it and the bearings. You don't need that part failing, because when it does, it just might take the driveshaft with it. An oz of prevention is worth much more than a pound of cure. Bet driveshafts aren't going to be an easy find. Make sure the joints are lined up correctly if you do take it apart, keep them in phase.

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
RoyL57
Back
Top Bottom