Dryer not drying

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an RV or an interest in RVing!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

RedandSilver

Hi have a Splendide 2000 Combo unit and the dryer takes many hours to get
clothes even close to semi dry.

Has anyone ever replaced the drying heat unit?

Before you ask the vent is clear and I'm on 50amp service with about 124V per leg.

Does anyone know if the heat unit is easy to get to without removing the unit?
Does anyone know where to buy parts for the unit I have?

Thanks for any help.

Splendids are great units, but they are slow.  We typically allowed about 4 hours for a complete cycle.  By vent, I assume you have a vented unit?  Clean the exhaust hose.  The heating coil is on top behind the timer.  To access it you need to take the top off.  If you have room to take the screws on the back out then you probdbly have room to work.
Westland sales in Milwaukie,OR is the US distributor.  Give them a call, explain the problem.  They are great to work with and can ship parts quickly.

It's probably not the heater element, though that is possible. The more common problems in the Splendide 2000 are:

1. There are two thermostats and fusible links that can burn out
2. The main circuit board can cause this

You have to pull the unit out and remove cover(s) to get at either area.

Get the Training/Reapir manual for your model (WD802M) at http://www.splendide.com/service/docs.html

Brave Willy said:
If heater element is working You should be able to feel the heat on the glass door

To give you a frame of reference, using an instant read thermometer I just measured my dryer output at the outside vent - 120F

When ours quit drying, it turned out to be one of the fusible links Gary mentioned.  They're available from the company.
It wasn't hard to get to, once the unit was sitting in the middle of the floor.  The top comes off the machine fairly easily.

You can download the factory tech training manual here:

http://www.splendide.com/service/TRAINMANM_Complete.pdf

This will walk you through troubleshooting your unit.  Took me like 5 minutes to figure mine out after I got the top off.

I don't know what is wrong with yours but mine dries very well.  Cloth comes out completely dry. 

RedandSilver said:
Hi have a Splendide 2000 Combo unit and the dryer takes many hours to get
clothes even close to semi dry.

Has anyone ever replaced the drying heat unit?

Before you ask the vent is clear and I'm on 50amp service with about 124V per leg.

Does anyone know if the heat unit is easy to get to without removing the unit?
Does anyone know where to buy parts for the unit I have?

Thanks for any help.
RedandSilver
I suspect the dryer thermal fuse has blown.
I got a replacement from Skip at 775-762-5889.

Clothes come out as wrinkled as they are dry.

That probably means the load is too full.  Sometimes I wash one load and then divide it in half for drying.  Also, clothes like shirts that you want to look nice will wrinkle less if you can take them out while still damp and hang them to finish drying.

ArdraF

Rene T said:
Same here.

We, also, do the same thing.  But one thing to keep in mind is that the drying power of a dryer is proportional to the electrical power which is defined as voltage times current.  An RV dryer running on a 20A 120V circuit has one third the drying power of a residential dryer operating on a 240V 30A circuit.  In fact the Splendide (both vented and unvented) use a 1300W heating element which is less power than your toaster! This power factor reduction is true of any 120V RV dryer regardless of whether or not it's a combo or a stackable.  Maybe some stackables use an 1800 watt heater, but even that is a far cry from what you are used to at home.

Dryers and 120 volts is a very serious laughing matter. It takers more than double the amount of time to dry compared to your home dryer.

docj said:
We, also, do the same thing.  But one thing to keep in mind is that the power of dryer is proportional to the power which is defined as voltage times current.  An RV dryer running on a 20A 120V circuit has one third the drying power of a residential dryer operating on a 240V 30A circuit.  In fact the Splendide (both vented and unvented) use a 1300W heating element which is less power than your toaster! This power factor reduction is true of any 120V RV dryer regardless of whether or not it's a combo or a stackable.  Maybe some stackables use an 1800 watt heater, but even that is a far cry from what you are used to at home.

Attachments

• What he said in that comment up there (1).jpg
    What he said in that comment up there (1).jpg
    17.1 KB · Views: 3
cavie said:
Dryers and 120 volts is a very serious laughing matter. It takers more than double the amount of time to dry compared to your home dryer.
If the thermal fuse is blown, (a common Splendide problem), it can take days for clothes to dry compared to
the more than double the time of a 120V dryer.

Back
Top Bottom