1995 Luxor no hot water stream

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an RV or an interest in RVing!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

weykool

In real need of help please.  This may get lengthy. We are now three days into our fulltime journey and when we try to get hot water in our Luxor we get a tiny stream, and after a few minutes almost nothing.  Hot water is working and have hot water, just no stream from any faucets, kitchen, BR sink and shower. Leaks are not the problem, and cold water side has a solid high pressure flow.  There is a T valve behind water heater, under the fridge I have switched to both positions.  One way gives a strong stream of cold water everywhere, the other gives a trickle of hot water at all locations.  Park water pressure is good.  I am hooked up to city water.  The last maintenance I performed was to replace the check valve where the city water hooks up as water was coming out of that valve, so I replaced that valve and everything seemed fine and now when we actually hook up to city water this is where we are at.  I have traced all water lines as best as I can searching for restrictions in the line or a check valve I may not be aware of but nothing.  Please help, we need showers!

Have you flushed out the water heater tank? That would be my first step. Next step is to change the other check valve.  Winnebago uses 2.

Don't know which model of the 1995 Luxor you have, so here are the Plumbing Diagrams for both models:    WKQ37AQ    WKQ37WQ
Here are the Parts Catalogs for both models as well:    WKQ37AQ  WKQ37WQ

In either case, it looks like you have one check valve on the hot water output from the water heater.  I would suspect that that needs to be replaced--it's a common failure point.  As a temporary workaround you should be able to remove it, take out its 'guts', and put it back in place without them.  You'll want to replace it before you next need to winterize the coach, since it's needed for the winterizing valve to work.

weykool
I suspect the check valve, (aka: back flow preventer), in a waterline, at the water heater tank, has failed.
See: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=GcBZ6K19pWc

The valve you describe is the bypass valve for the water heater used to prevent filling the WH with antifreeze while winterizing. Your symptom is no flow through the WH in the OPERATE position. That is caused by a defective check valve as mentioned in above (at the WH outlet or, possibly inlet).

Ernie

Ernie n Tara said:
The valve you describe is the bypass valve for the water heater used to prevent filling the WH with antifreeze while winterizing. Your symptom is no flow through the WH in the OPERATE position. That is caused by a defective check valve as mentioned in above (at the WH outlet or, possibly inlet).

Ernie

This check valve will be where the hot water line connects to the tank. It will be the top line.
As Ernie has said, some manufactures also put the check valves in the cold line which is the bottom pipe.

Rene T said:
This check valve will be where the hot water line connects to the tank.]It will be the top line.
As Ernie has said, some manufactures also put the check valves in the cold line which is the bottom pipe.

Rene T
On the 10 gallon Suberban propane only WH in my '96 Sahara coach the only check valve is in the
cold/input/lower water line at the water heater tank.

Ernie n Tara said:
Ernie

Ernie
No disrespect intended but the Suberban WH in my coach has a check valve in the cold water/inlet line at the WH tank...but NO water heater by pass valves
Never did, as built built by SMC, (Safari Motorcoach Corporation), in 1996.

mel s said:
Ernie
No disrespect intended but the Suberban WH in my coach has a check valve in the cold water/inlet line at the WH tank...but NO water heater by pass valves
Never did, as built built by SMC, (Safari Motorcoach Corporation), in 1996.
Let's not muddy the waters by discussing another manufacturer's RV. Winnebago typically uses two check valves on the water heater.

Ernie n Tara said:
With no bypass, there is no reason for a bypass valve.
Ernie
Ernie
You are correct.
My coach has a check valve at the water heater, but NO water heater bypass

BTW few, (if any), RV manufactures include anything that isn't there for a reason.

John Canfield said:
Let's not muddy the waters by discussing another manufacturer's RV. Winnebago typically uses two check valves on the water heater.
John Canfield
A bad check valve at the water heater is a common cause of the OP's no hot water stream. problem.

If the facts I posted about the check valve on the water heater in my Safari offend, (or confused), you, (or any other Winnebago owner), I apologize.

(BTW I have learned a lot by reading posts by Winnebago owners.. and I assume that most Winnebago owners can also learn).

mel s said:
....If the facts I posted about the check valve on the water heater in my Safari offend, (or confused), you, (or any other Winnebago owner), I apologize.....
I'm not offended or confused, the goal is to help the OP solve his problem with his Winnebago product. As a side note, everybody is welcome here in the Winnie board, that's been the policy since Tom created this board.

John Canfield said:
I'm not offended or confused, the goal is to help the OP solve his problem with his Winnebago product. As a side note, everybody is welcome here in the Winnie board, that's been the policy since Tom created this board.
That's was my understanding until someone posted this:
"Let's not muddy the waters by discussing another manufacturer's RV. Winnebago typically uses two check valves on the water heater".
Sorry that I "muddied the waters".

Latest posts

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
RoyL57
Back
Top Bottom