Any good Topo maps for routing?

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an RV or an interest in RVing!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

jymbee

Seems like most of the Topo maps are well suited for terrain, but not so much for roads and routing, or the other way around. Goole's Terrain view is decent and helpful but I'd prefer a traditional Topo map. I may still have some old Delorme Topo Maps discs around somewhere at home but can't remember how well suited they would be either.

The Delorme topo maps I have (Topo USA 3.0) can handle most routing needs, knowing about highways, cities, etc. They don't, however, have anything about RV parks and such. About the only drawback for doing only routing is that some roads may be a bit out of date, since I've had no updates for a few years.

On an Android phone and on my iPad I have an app called OsmAnd Maps, which has a contours plug in you can buy (the basic is free, and you can download 5 maps for free). I have the free part and it works fairly well. I also have Backcountry Navigator on Android which provides topo, as well as satellite overlays and more -- many map sources.

I like the DeLorme Gazetter for topo, lat/long and roads. We have them for surrounding states, and use them for planning hikes and kayaking.

Google Earth allows you to right click on the route and see the elevation for the entire route.  There is even a slider that you can slide along the route to see exactly where a big climb is.

Bobtop46 said:
Google Earth allows you to right click on the route and see the elevation for the entire route.  There is even a slider that you can slide along the route to see exactly where a big climb is.

I wasn't aware of that option-- thanks. Of course Earth doesn't have the flexibility that Map has where you can drag your route, add/arrange stops etc. but both together can work well.

Using right click as you mentioned the visual representation with regard to elevation is clear between a couple of route options (basically Alabama to Upstate NY):

Attachments

• elevation_1.jpg
    elevation_1.jpg
    143.1 KB · Views: 11
  • elevation_2.jpg
    elevation_2.jpg
    119.2 KB · Views: 15
We have used this a few times.  Sometimes we decide ahead of time where to stop and disconnect the car before a big climb.  We have done that 3 times. 

First time: between Needles or Kingman CA and Flagstaff AZ.  When we got to Flagstaff we stopped for lunch and reconnected.

Second time:  When going over the Trail Ridge between Estes Park and Grand Lake CO in the summer. Road closed in the winter.

Third Time:  Somewhere between Thermopolis and Saratoga WY.  We were pulled over to disconnect and got passed by a truck going up, after disconnecting and getting going again we passed him back half way up the mountain.

Bobtop46 said:
We have used this a few times.  Sometimes we decide ahead of time where to stop and disconnect the car before a big climb. 

Exactly what we're thinking about doing.

Back
Top Bottom