What kind of calk/sealant for my gutter?

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an RV or an interest in RVing!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

mossy88

I have a 1982 Dodge Xplorer camper van which has a rain gutter that runs the length of the van on both sides. I have a leak somewhere in the van (hard to determine where exactly its coming from because its behind the walls somewhere) but I'm pretty sure its coming from the rain gutter. Rather than completely tear down the gutter and re-rivet and seal it etc... I just want to thoroughly clean and caulk over whats there.
Anyway the gutter itself is basically just a long "U" shape  (Its an "L" shaped metal piece that is riveted onto a ledge and screwed into the side of the van). The Caulk covers the entire inside, conforming to the "U" shape (covering the screws and all).
So on one part of the gutter I already tried Dicor Self Leveling Sealant 502LSW, which is usually used for things like sealing around Maxxair fans and stuff. It seemed to have worked perfectly because of the self leveling allowed it to settle in nicely.
The problem: It dried super tacky. Its been months and it is still very tacky and dirt/debris get stuck causing it to clog! Which is you know, the opposite of what you want in a rain gutter.
So I'm wondering if anyone has any alternative suggestions for a self leveling sealant that does not dry tacky at all.
I wanted to avoid silicone caulk as it is such a pain to remove.
Any suggestions as to what kind would work best for my project?
Thanks!  :)

I'd think an automotive seam sealer would be the best for this job.  I've used 3M's 8500 a bunch.  It dries rubbery, but not sticky.

The seam sealer won't be self-leveling, though.  I don't know of any self-leveling sealer that does not stay tacky for a long time. It has to be slow curing in order to flow.

If you need to coat the entire inside, maybe seal the edges with a traditional seam sealer (e.g. Geocel Proflex) and then paint over it with an elastomeric roof coating to form a total seal.

sikaflex 715 would be my choice, it does have a slight surface tack, however it is a moisture-curing sealant and should not be so sticky that it holds onto debris
http://www.delamrepair.com/bestrvcampermotorhomesealantscaulks.html

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
skinldy71
Back
Top Bottom