Battery disconnect switch

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an RV or an interest in RVing!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Geri

Hi
I'm a newbie and will likely have a lot of questions so thanks up front for any help.

The first question.
I bought an 2000 Fleetwood Flair from a private owner, come to find out he had put a junk yard engine in it and the crank barrings went out, had to replace the engine and a Chevy dealership did it.
Now the chassis battery disconnect switch does not disengage the battery. Can anyone give me a clue on the wiring?
I now have a draw on the auxiliary batteries and are running the batteries dead, any ideas on a cause. I know this is a long shot but thought I'd ask.

I love my RV but I have never had so many problems with a vehicle.

Thanks for any help.
Geri

What kind of time frame are we talking before the battery is dead. The RV does have a small draw of phantom.

You may need to get a clamp on amp gauge to check for usage with "Everything shut down"

If you have a inverter running to power TV's when not plugged in ...They will use power even though the TV's are not turned on.

Regarding the battery disconnect - Do a search for Battery disconnect" Someone else is having the same problem.

The battery disconnect activates a relay in the box at the 'hood'. It will be balled Electronic something, I forget the exact wording.  I had the same issue in my 978 Southwind.  It is not hard to get to, but not exactly out in the open.  To get around it, when not using, just disconnect the negative cables from the batteries.  In the case of house, probably 2 12's in parallel, disconnect the negative that goes to the chassis, and on the engine batter, just the negative. 

If you are not comfortable around electronics, don't mess around in that box.  and if you are, just remember to disconnect power first. 

Thanks everyone.
Just to be sure, if the main switch is off then the engine should not start if I try to start the MH?
Thanks.

I think Bill is right - back then Fleetwood provided two disconnects, one house and one chassis.  If there is only one disconnect switch, it will be house only.

Hi
Yes there's two diconnet switches.
So will the chassis stop the engine from starting?
Because it doesn't.
Thanks

Geri said:
Hi
Yes there's two diconnet switches.
So will the chassis stop the engine from starting?
Because it doesn't.
Thanks
Yes. If it has a chassis disconnect solenoid and it?s off, nothing should happen when you turn the ignition key. No lights on dash, nothing if it?s working properly. Make sure ignition key is off before turning chassis disconnect off. There should be an over ride to prevent disconnect from shutting off engine while running.

Thanks
Now I'm thinking they didn't hook something up after replacing the engine.
Now I will have to try and find a wiring diagram.

Look under the hood, there is a black box there and that is where the solenoid will be.  listen to it while someone exercises the switch, you should hear a clicking, if no clicking, the solenoid is not working.  As I said, it can be replaced, but mine was buried beneath another circuit board.  Easier to just pull the negative cable off the batteries.

Back
Top Bottom