rvupgradestore.com Composet Products Fridge Defend
RV Life Magazine RV Park Reviews RV Trip Wizard

Author Topic: How Much Value is There With Cellular Boosters Thes Days?  (Read 540 times)

Gizmo

• ---
How Much Value is There With Cellular Boosters Thes Days?
« on: February 15, 2020, 05:21:02 PM »
I ask this question because when we started RV'ing a few years ago we considered getting  WeBoost RV cellular booster as it was not uncommon to have poor cell service even with my Verizon service.  We have dragged our feet on getting and installing a cellular booster and now find over time we have in our travels gotten mostly good, often times excellent and fewer poor cell service.  Even my wife has gotten mostly decent service with her TMobile plan.  When service has been less than optimal, it seems more often than not it is a result of crowded cell towers rather than a strong signal.  Considering a cell booster will not help with log jams in cell towers, I am wondering if cell boosters are not as necessary as they once were.
Regards, Bruce, Lin An, Kenji & Suki
2015 Ram Big Horn 3500 CC Cummins TD Dually 3:73 Gears & AISIN Tranny
2019 Grand Design Solitude 310GK-R

Isaac-1

• ---
Re: How Much Value is There With Cellular Boosters Thes Days?
« Reply #1 on: February 15, 2020, 05:46:13 PM »
My take is they are less useful than they once were, but still provide benefit in some fringe locations, of course if there is no signal to boost, or signal is blocked by being in a canyon, etc. it does not good.
2002 Safari Trek 2830

NY_Dutch

• ---
  • Home is where our wheels are!
« Reply #2 on: February 15, 2020, 05:51:50 PM »
We're still finding deep fringe areas from time to time where our Maximum Signal Max Amp RV booster makes the difference between no signal and a usable signal. As the carriers have expanded coverage though, that happens less often than it used to. I'm really looking forward to Starlink's LEO Internet service that should give us good service anywhere we can see the sky.
Dutch
2001 GBM Landau 34' Class A
F53 Chassis, Triton V10, TST TPMS
2011 Toyota RAV4 4WD/Remco pump
ReadyBrute Elite tow bar/Blue Ox base plate

Matt_C

• ---
« Reply #3 on: February 16, 2020, 08:54:54 AM »
We have been running boosters and repeaters (actually different animals) for the last 15 years.  They always help.  We have managed to find truly dead locations, but that takes some doing.  Of my several installations (with changes of band -1X, 2, 3G and 4G, I have found that one of the big factors was the antenna external to the coach.  Don't buy the hype or the look, read the performance numbers.  I suspect I will be upgrading in the near future to accommodate 5G.  There are lots of advantages to have a good antenna, lots of height and some gain both ways.  In old ham talk, "If you can't hear him, you can't work him."

Matt 
A lifelong waterman with a trophy wife and a pair of mutts going places we cannot get by boat.

SargeW

• Forum Staff
  • ---
  • Life is better on the road!
« Reply #4 on: February 16, 2020, 09:30:03 AM »
Yep, I concur with what Matt said. A cell booster can help you hit a distant tower, which I still manage to find in the places we like to go. But it doesn't matter much if you can't "hear" the reply from the tower.  Given the two choices I would probably say that the exterior antenna and more value than the booster.

Even in a crowded RV park I can put up my antenna on my 5' mast and get over the "noise" generated by the dozen's of Hotspots surrounding me.  Doing a Speedtest I can often double my download speed by just raising the antenna on the mast.
Marty--
2017 Tiffin Allegro Bus 40SP
Cummins ISL 450 HP/Powerglide chassis
2018 JLU Jeep Sahara
Support your local Police Officer, Fire Fighter and Military!

timjet

• ---
« Reply #5 on: February 26, 2020, 05:43:14 AM »
My experience conforms to Sarge's above.
For more info check this out: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=14tWiAsqfJk
Tim
Tampa Bay
'07 American Tradition DP 40', 1.5 bath
'14 Honda CRV

timjet

• ---
« Reply #6 on: February 26, 2020, 05:48:43 AM »
Snip

Even in a crowded RV park I can put up my antenna on my 5' mast and get over the "noise" generated by the dozen's of Hotspots surrounding me.  Doing a Speedtest I can often double my download speed by just raising the antenna on the mast.

My suction cup mounted MiMo antenna has a 2 ft cord to connect to my hot spot. I would have to dangle the hotspot connected to the MiMo antenna on a mast. What kind of antenna do you have that has a long connection to the hot spot that allows you to rise the antenna up a mast?
Tim
Tampa Bay
'07 American Tradition DP 40', 1.5 bath
'14 Honda CRV

SargeW

• Forum Staff
  • ---
  • Life is better on the road!
« Reply #7 on: February 27, 2020, 10:14:43 PM »
I have a router and a power booster mounted in the back closet of the rig Tim. The router has a external antenna connection.  The Omni antenna is mounted on top of the push up mast. A length of antenna cable connects the antenna to the router. When the mast is down the extra antenna coax is loosely coiled around the mast and secured with a small bungee cord. When I push it up, the extra cable is uncoiled allowing the full extension of the mast.  Not real high tech, but it works well.
Marty--
2017 Tiffin Allegro Bus 40SP
Cummins ISL 450 HP/Powerglide chassis
2018 JLU Jeep Sahara
Support your local Police Officer, Fire Fighter and Military!

jymbee

• ---
« Reply #8 on: February 27, 2020, 11:44:42 PM »
I'm really looking forward to Starlink's LEO Internet service that should give us good service anywhere we can see the sky.

I've had a number of Internet satellite Internet systems going back years before I paid a small fortune to run cable from the nearest line to my home office. Worth the $$$ as it allowed me to work from home for years. But  one of the main weaknesses for any of these was the latency issue. Just did some searches where Starlink proposes to dramatically cut latency. If SpaceX can get latency down from the 600ms current systems suffer from to 20ms or so with a download speed of 1Gbps per user all for less than a hundred bucks per month-- that's going to put a lot of pressure on cable providers for sure.

Time will tell...
Wandering in our 2012 Fleetwood Bounder 33C Class A

NY_Dutch

• ---
  • Home is where our wheels are!
« Reply #9 on: February 28, 2020, 09:08:59 AM »
I've had a number of Internet satellite Internet systems going back years before I paid a small fortune to run cable from the nearest line to my home office. Worth the $$$ as it allowed me to work from home for years. But  one of the main weaknesses for any of these was the latency issue. Just did some searches where Starlink proposes to dramatically cut latency. If SpaceX can get latency down from the 600ms current systems suffer from to 20ms or so with a download speed of 1Gbps per user all for less than a hundred bucks per month-- that's going to put a lot of pressure on cable providers for sure.

Low latency is one of the features of LEO sat Internet, and the available speeds should pick up as more sats reach orbit. I've seen numbers in the 600 Mbps range touted, but I don't know how "official" they were...
Time will tell...
Dutch
2001 GBM Landau 34' Class A
F53 Chassis, Triton V10, TST TPMS
2011 Toyota RAV4 4WD/Remco pump
ReadyBrute Elite tow bar/Blue Ox base plate