Source for telescoping aluminum mast

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an RV or an interest in RVing!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Back2PA

In anticipation of a cellular booster install I am starting the search for a tool-less telescoping aluminum mast. I am thinking about one with an extended length of about 30' - this would give me about 25' over the roofline after allowing for attachment. The plan is to use standoffs to mount to the ladder. After doing some searching I haven't found what I'm looking for. If anyone can point me to a supplier it would be appreciated. Thanks.

I bought a telescoping flag pole from Harbor Freight. I was going to use it on the coach but instead it's been put to work at home.
It's sturdy even when fully extended, and has held up to the 50/60mph gusts that we had recently.

https://www.harborfreight.com/20-ft-telescoping-flag-pole-kit-64342.html

Silly me, guess I should have been searching for a flag pole to mount my antenna. I'll be back for sources to mount my flag  ;)

I use a Sunsetter flag pole. Flag poles are heavy duty because flags are quite a wind load.  For lighter poles (Well perhaps lighter.. perhaps heavier)  Amateur Radio Supply houses like GIGAPARTS or DXEngineering (Just add dot com) or listen to WTWW.US  | Listen | transmitter 2 and most of their advertisers.

I purchased military surplus mast sections on eBay. They are 4 foot aluminum sections that stack. It was about $75 for 12 sections. I have a Winegard TV antenna mounted on it for use when I'm in a fringe area. In hind sight, a telescoping mast would probably have been a better option. A search on Amazon for "telescoping flag pole" will list a bunch of options.

Attachments

• Mast1.jpg
    Mast1.jpg
    125.1 KB · Views: 32
  • Mast2.jpg
    Mast2.jpg
    26.6 KB · Views: 25
I bought a heavy duty telescoping flagpole for my ham radio antennas, one with a drive-on base. No flexing, and no worries about damaging the ladder in heavy winds.

Corky said:
I bought a telescoping flag pole from Harbor Freight. I was going to use it on the coach but instead it's been put to work at home.
It's sturdy even when fully extended, and has held up to the 50/60mph gusts that we had recently.

https://www.harborfreight.com/20-ft-telescoping-flag-pole-kit-64342.html

Update: several people commented about the Harbor Freight pole so I ended up buying one online. When it arrived one section was locked up and wouldn't extend. I took it to a local Harbor Freight and exchanged it. Within just a couple of months I started having troubles again - I now have two sections that won't collapse and one that the collar won't tighten so it won't stay extended. I have spent a fair amount of time looking for a replacement and several reviewers report the same issues and based on appearance may even be made by the same company as the Harbor Freight one.

I initially avoided the style with the L shaped friction bolts simply for esthetics as I have this mounted on my ladder and painted to match. At this point I just want something that I can reliably extend and retract several times per year, in the 30' range. 30' is the upper end without guy wires, which I definitely do not want. This will be mounted to the ladder.

If someone runs across something that looks promising please post a link. Thx

We just put up an antenna on a pole attached to our ladder that seems to be constructed very well. I think it?s a little on the expensive side, but I suppose if it lasts, you get what you pay for. It?s from Weboost, the company that sells cell boosters, but you can buy just the adjustable pole. However, it does only go up to 25 feet.

https://www.weboost.com/products/antenna-mounting-pole-25-ft

Vicki

I made a PVC pole with suction cup mounts that raises my WeBoost about 3 ft above the coach roof. It stores in my baggage bin as a single piece.
The WeBoost was not the go to answer to acquiring a signal. It does seem to work but my cheap MiMo antenna seems to work better and it suction mounts to my windshield.
More info here on the WeBoost.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=14tWiAsqfJk

Rene T said:
Keep in mind, it's only rated for 20 MPH winds. Any winds higher than that, they recommend to take it down. It would not work for me but may for others.
A WiFi antenna will not stress the pole as much as a flapping flag.

Rene T said:
Keep in mind, it's only rated for 20 MPH winds. Any winds higher than that, they recommend to take it down. It would not work for me but may for others.

For now would be putting an enclosed yagi on it. Depends on where the wind is comping from - if from the side there would be some side-loading so wouldn't want it up in high winds.

Tom_M said:

I had a look at that one and although it's hard to tell from the single picture, it looks like the pole is using the same twist-to-lock setup I've had such bad luck with. Also, as the company hasn't even replaced the stock  "this is where your return policy goes..." verbiage on the site, a little hesitant to give that one a try.

Although fiberglass, this closer to what I was looking for. I like that each section has an external friction lever. Because it's fiberglass it would be heavier, but when I looked at ratings on a ham radio site people were generally happy with it. In the winter I'm in the trees so might extend it more fully; in the summer I'm more exposed so would probably just put it up halfway to try and minimize wind sway

Back2PA said:
I had a look at that one and although it's hard to tell from the single picture, it looks like the pole is using the same twist-to-lock setup I've had such bad luck with. Also, as the company hasn't even replaced the stock  "this is where your return policy goes..." verbiage on the site, a little hesitant to give that one a try.

I use the 16' fiberglass version for my weather station. The sections can be locked in place with removable pins which prevent each section from lowering.

I'd wager my weather station is heavier and has more wind load then your antenna, and my station has been up there for a few months through some good Colorado River winds. But, yes, it sways.

My weather station

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
nativoacai
Back
Top Bottom