Best Fuel Price Strategy?

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an RV or an interest in RVing!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

PeterH

Hi,

In two weeks (April 11, 2019) I am starting a 30 hour drive from Northern Idaho to Athens, Texas to attend a week long class at the Big Red Schoolhouse on RV maintenance. Hoping to eventually earn a NRVIA Class 1 inspector's rating and possibly a mobile RV tech rating to keep me busy when I retire in another year or two.

I am estimating about $1000 for fuel for the round trip. I've noticed lately that diesel prices at truck stops like the Flying-J are sometimes 20 cents a gallon more than the price of a station just down the road.

I've downloaded an app for my phone to help locate better prices, but I'm wondering if there are any other things I can do to minimize my fuel costs on this trip. My max speed is 65mph when I'm pulling my rig and of course tire pressure is all monitored carefully.

Any thoughts on the subject?

Thanks,
Pete

I think you have figured it out and keep the speed down.  You really pay for convenience at those truck stops, so I don't use them.  A large fuel tank helps so that you can avoid areas and states where higher taxes boost fuel prices.  In lieu of a larger tank, consider using a few cans to increase range.  When you buy fuel, use a credit card that gives the best rewards.

On our last trip to Fl and back (WNY) burned about 330 gals of fuel. At 20 cents more per gal @FJ  thats $66.
Its worth it to me getting in and out towing 4 down.
Pulling a trailer it you can back out if you have to . If your comfotable with the trailer I would hit other stations if access looked ok .

Bob

I use Gas Buddy (the app you downloaded?) to compare fuel prices in a given area, and also to see if prices are significantly different on the other side of a state or city boundary.  If so, I'll adjust my purchases accordingly maybe buying less than a tankful to get me to cheaper fuel along my route.

As far as going out of my way for cheaper fuel, maybe not.  20 cents a gallon is only a 10% savings on $2 per gallon fuel, or 6.7% at $3 per gallon.  What's your time worth to chase down this amount of savings?

Now, I will take a 5 minute detour if I need fuel in Needles, CA.  Last time I was there, the price at the Arco station in AZ one mile north of downtown Needles was a full 50% less than the cost of gas or diesel on the CA side of the river.

Going to Florida from WNY a couple years ago I pulled off in S Carolina for gas at one of the I-95 ramp-top stops.  Gas was more than NY prices!  2 minutes on gas buddy had it more than 50 cents a gallon cheaper a half mile down the same street.  It may not be worth the effort to many, but I enjoy the challenge to not get ripped off.

If you save 20 c/ gal and buy 30 gal, that is $6 savings.  That is worth driving a couple miles out of the way!  Just make sure you can get in and out with the camper.

What I found on a trip out west (gas prices), no matter where I stopped, the next exit was a penny cheaper :(  Murphy rides again!

Depending on how many other trips you plan, a good Sam membership may help, that?s gives fuel discounts at Flying J when it isn?t convenient to chase all over for a few cents discount.

We use the GS Pilot FJ credit card. It works good no cut off point at pump 8 cents off cash price,no having to go in store. $1000. Credit limit but wife can make payment on line if we need to use more. If you want a higher credit limit it has to be tied to a credit card
It does not work as good at pilot at the pump.

Bob

This is a to each their own issue.

We tend to use Flying J that have dedicated RV lanes. Other people would push their RV before they would use a Flying J. The only problem I have ever had is people who think going into the store shopping/eating/showering without moving out of the fuel lanes is the right thing to do. You know - idiots.

Driving to cheaper gas gives us unknowns. Can we get in and out of the cheaper fuel station? How far are the fuel lanes from the building. Are the fuel lanes parallel or perpendicular to the building? Is dealing with the traffic to save a few bucks worth it?  Gas buddy gives you area prices which is great to decide to stop in this area or 50 miles down the road. What it doesn't tell you is if you can safely get your rig in and out.

Some people use google earth to check fuel stations. The down side is what has been built since that shot was take...

Thanks everyone. Sounds like the best approach is to simply use the available tools to look for the best price rather than just wait until you absolutely need fuel NOW... and then pay through the nose. I do carry an extra 20 gallons in 4 yellow diesel containers in the back of the truck. A couple of months ago I looked at an upgrade to my truck for a fuel tank that was double the factory tank. But the $1500.00 price changed my mind for me. I can carry a lot of 5 gallon cans for that price. :)

I will be using that gas-buddy app and I will plan my stops in advance so that I can avoid being caught low on fuel with only one station available.

Too tight stations is always a big concern and I would pay for the ease of using a large truck stop if necessary.

Pete

Born2Travel said:
This is a to each their own issue.

We tend to use Flying J that have dedicated RV lanes. Other people would push their RV before they would use a Flying J. The only problem I have ever had is people who think going into the store shopping/eating/showering without moving out of the fuel lanes is the right thing to do. You know - idiots.

Driving to cheaper gas gives us unknowns. Can we get in and out of the cheaper fuel station? How far are the fuel lanes from the building. Are the fuel lanes parallel or perpendicular to the building? Is dealing with the traffic to save a few bucks worth it?  Gas buddy gives you area prices which is great to decide to stop in this area or 50 miles down the road. What it doesn't tell you is if you can safely get your rig in and out.

Some people use google earth to check fuel stations. The down side is what has been built since that shot was take...

I have gas powered Class C with tow and Flying J is ALWAYS my goto station of choice as I always know I can utilize the RV lanes.  When none on my route, I usually make use of gas buddy, google earth to look at gas station layout and clearances.  So far no outstanding issues

On my last trip through S. Carolina I passed a Pilot on one side of the road and fueled up at a BP across the street. The Pilot  diesel pumps were backed up out onto the road. I pulled up to the BP's diesel pump, filled up and was on my way in 10 minutes. And to top it all, the Pilot price was $.40 per  gallon higher. I don't often travel interstate highways. And I hate Flying J, Pilot, Loves, TA, etc.

Many of the large trucking companies have deals with truckstop chains where they pay significantly less than the pump prices because of their large volume of purchases.  Because of this, their drivers are often told where and when they can get fuel, even if a station across the street is less crowded and has the same or even a lower posted price.

Many of the name brand gas stations have discount/rewards programs now too. I have rewards cards for Shell, BP, Circle K, Road Ranger, and maybe Flying J in there... I'm talking about just a separate card that is swiped for a discount, not the actual payment. Shell has the best overall member discount, 5 cents/gallon off and you can earn a bit more with frequent fill-ups. The last two years Shell had a March Madness promo on Tuesdays during college basketball season, gives an extra 5 cents off. So if I fill up on Tuesdays I can get 11-12 cents/off per gallon overall. Almost over for this year!

I also prefer BP and Shell because those brands are top tier gasoline, i.e. more detergents to keep engines clean. YMMV since that price advice is separate from diesel availability or pump orientation.

Back
Top Bottom