Battery disconnect panel

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an RV or an interest in RVing!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

chopshop

My battery disconnect switch panel has been acting up lately and I'd like to change it out, unless there is some way to clean the contacts.. I've been searching online and cannot find the correct replacement, does anyone know where to look for this style and maybe some pointers when it comes to changing it? Thanks!

**EDIT** Actually, the rocker switch is what I think may be going bad, it has a "sticky" feeling when turning on & off.

Attachments

• switch.jpg
    switch.jpg
    47.8 KB · Views: 38
Typically disconnects are momentary switches, i.e. they spring back to the center when you release them. Are yours that way?

Finding a physically matching switch may be a major challenge.

Two ways I have used
If the switch has a "Sticky feeling" these may not work but read on

DIsconnect batteries physically (Both house and chassis) or pull the 5 amp fuse that feeds it power.. Cycle the switch like 50 times or more .. This actually FIXED MINE.
Alternative disconnect leads from switch (may be easier to pull fuse).

Now the "Sticky"

WD-40 is a cleaner not a lubricant.  And non conductive if I'm not mistaken.

Thanks for the reply John.

I'll first try and cycle it like you say. Really it's just the chassis one that's acting up, I was even thinking of keeping that one on all the time, can't think of anything that will draw power from the battery other than the small red light near the switches that shows that it's connected.

Where do you think the fuse would be located?

I did find a used panel for sale online for $60. The problem is just that, it's used, and could be in worse shape than mine.

John From Detroit said:
DIsconnect batteries physically (Both house and chassis) or pull the 5 amp fuse that feeds it power.. Cycle the switch like 50 times or more .. This actually FIXED MINE.

Did exactly this and it seems to working fine now, although time will tell. Thanks.

chopshop said:
Did exactly this and it seems to working fine now, although time will tell. Thanks.

Glad it worked out for you but keep in mind, it may not last long. I'd look at some type of dry lubricant to spray in there. You can probably do it in place without removing them.

Rene T said:
Glad it worked out for you but keep in mind, it may not last long. I'd look at some type of dry lubricant to spray in there. You can probably do it in place without removing them.

I did, however, order a used one that I found online for a back-up that I'll keep in the coach for when this one kicks the bed.

Back
Top Bottom