Help. Family vacation, Bent travel trailer axle in New Orleans

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an RV or an interest in RVing!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Kerms

As the title indicates. On a family trip to New Orleans and 2 minutes from our destination I got run wide by an oncoming truck and bent the axle fairly severely on our forest river single axle travel trailer.

Anyone in the area with a recommendation on someone they would recommend to be able to assist in getting a replacement or repair?

Sorry to make this my fist post but new to the RV community and found this board out of necessity.

Thanks in advance and God bless.

That's a lousy thing to happen.  If no one else comments, Google Trailer axle repair New Orleans Louisiana.  Several possibilities turn up.  Of course, they're all closed because it's Sunday.  Hope you get help!

ArdraF

Welcome aboard!!

Have you contacted your insurance company yet? They may have a list of RV repair places in that area.

Your insurance will probably cover that.

Welcome to the Forum.  Sorry about the reason.

AVOID RV dealers.  They are usually very slow, very expensive and do mediocre chassis work.
A place that does tractor trailer tires often can do suspension work, including straightening or replacing the axle and aligning it after the repair.  If you need to replace it, get a heavier (larger load capacity) axle.  All manufacturers use the smallest rated axle possible to be legal, so bounces like you had overload and bend the axle.  A heavier axle may not have prevented this, but it will withstand smaller bounces much better than the original.

Trailer axles are a simple thing to replace, if you can't do it yourself then most any garage with enough room has the ability to do it.  There are trailer parts suppliers in your area that can supply you or your chosen mechanic.  Just Google trailer parts New Orleans.

Single axle trailer means pretty light weight trailer.  If FR cant or wont give you the axle specs,  get under with a tape measure, take all the measurements you can think of, and start making phone calls.  Two wires, 4 bolts and the old axle can be laying on the ground and the new one bolted in.  One of the trailer supply shops around town likely will have exactly what you need.

Skipper B trailers in Westwego, LA are pretty well stocked. Friends have used them for boat trailer axles, etc.
I'm originally from the area but now live in Georgia. There's also a trailer axle place in Kenner, but I don't remember the name.
If the axle is a normally sprung axle (supported by leaf springs) you'll like find a replacement nearby. The axle model should be stamped in the center of the axle or have an ID plate attached in the center.
If the axle is not supported by leaf springs then it is likely a torsion axle and it may need to be ordered.
Good luck.

Wow, thank you everyone for the amazing welcoming responses!

Thankfully it is a leaf spring axle. Now that it's Monday and places should be opening again all the information will definitely help us find a resolution.

Thank your so much to everyone. All is well. We wound up taking it to "Pearson's" trailer on Monday morning and they hooked me up with a heavier duty axle and springs  (which apparently the springs were shot and allowed the axle to hit the frame bending it), for what I feel was a reasonable price and had it done several hours later. I talked to Skippers and they would of worked me in next day if i didn't have luck elsewhere.

Great community you have here!

Kerms said:
Thank your so much to everyone. All is well. We wound up taking it to "Pearson's" trailer on Monday morning and they hooked me up with a heavier duty axle and springs  (which apparently the springs were shot and allowed the axle to hit the frame bending it), for what I feel was a reasonable price and had it done several hours later. I talked to Skippers and they would of worked me in next day if i didn't have luck elsewhere.

Great community you have here!

You are now the resident expert on here for Forrest River single axle trailers! 

Back
Top Bottom