"Red-neck" trailer leveler. :)

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an RV or an interest in RVing!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Frank B

We have a 23' lightweight 5th that came with manual leveling legs on the front.  The trailer is light, so it has not been an issue cranking it by hand, but I'm getting lazy.  I was investigating having an electric motor installed, but got to thinking of the single-purpose nature of such a device, and the cost of having one installed.  Then I had an idea.  Buy a high-torque cordless drill, and let that do the work.

First, I had to find a gear-driven cordless drill with enough torque to do the job.  Fortunately, there are several two-speed models on the market from the major manufacturers, with anywhere from 300 inch pounds of torque, to somewhat close to 600 inch pounds.  I tried the Ridgid (Home Depot house brand) for starters, as this 18 volt cordless with two batteries was on sale for $99 (competitors from Milwaukee, Makita, Bosch, etc. go for $300 and up).

Now it was a matter of manufacturing a shaft that would fit my trailer leg mechanism and fit it with a hex end that the drill chuck would not slip on.  I went to our local low-volume metal sales outlet, and for $15 got a thick-walled piece of tubing and a piece of 3/8" hex.  With a bit of grinding on the points of the hex, I got the hex to go into the end of the pipe, as well as into the end of the drill.  A bit of welding, and PRESTO!

The torque of this drill is amazing.  It winds that trailer up and down without hardly slowing down.  In fact, I'll have to be careful not to damage the mechanism if and when I reach the 'stops' in it's travel.

So, now I not only have a powered set of front legs, I have a good cordless drill to boot.  :)

Frank.

Attachments

• Winder1-small.jpg
    Winder1-small.jpg
    58.2 KB · Views: 115
  • Winder2-small.jpg
    Winder2-small.jpg
    67.5 KB · Views: 88
  • Winder3-small.jpg
    Winder3-small.jpg
    83.1 KB · Views: 82
Frank B said:
So, now I not only have a powered set of front legs, I have a good cordless drill to boot.  :)

Frank.

Allways good to get multipurpose tools when possible.  Thanks for the information.

John:

I have seen a lot of folks who use power drills to raise/lower their trailer.

I even have chuck to drive socket adapters in various sizes.

Awwww!  And here I thought that it was MY idea.  :)

I was surprised that a battery drill would do this.

Frank.

They make battery drills with a lot of power these days.  Major improvements in battery technology

Back when I was in high school, and dinosaurs were still wandering the earth (ok, not quite that far back) The school system built a new Gym, the new Gym had six basket ball backbords (2 glass one at each end and 4 metal) and a stage (multi-purpose room) well the BB-backboards were "Retractable" (Folded up out of the way)  They used a big power drill to operate the Winches that did the magic.

I graduated in 1968

John:

I graduated in 1968

You only beat me by a year.  They didn't have cordless drills back then as far as I remember.  It is the power of the cordless that I find amazing.  Electric cars anyone?  :)

Frank.

You guys sure know how to hurt a guys moral.  I was in and out of the service twice by then.  But then I'm about 14 years older than you too.

I was going to do this same thing for my stabilizer jacks, but just haven't gotten around to it yet.  I probably won't need that much power for just the stabilizers, but heck, the wife doesn't have to know that!!  Thanks for the looks.  That helps too.

edjunior said:
I was going to do this same thing for my stabilizer jacks, but just haven't gotten around to it yet. power for just the stabilizers, but heck, the wife doesn't have to know that!!  Thanks for the looks.  That helps too.

ROFL.  Yup.  I also have a battery operated impact wrench.  The one I have is kind of anemic but still, Once I break loose a lug nut on my car or lug bolt on the trailer it sure beats the rest of the job by hand.  I've used it to operate the jack on the car too when I could not use the good jack for some reaon,  Prefer to use the good jack

Back
Top Bottom