Do I need an upgraded hitch for a 25'?

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an RV or an interest in RVing!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

0949er

Hey guys. We are looking to pick up a Coleman 215bh later this week and I have to drive 1.5 hours away to pick it up. I currently have a 2014 f150 eco w/ max tow with a hitch that has a couple ratings on the bottom: Weight Distribution Max Gross 10500 lbs, Max tongue weight 1050; Weight Carrying 5000 lbs, Max Tongue Weight 500 lbs.

I have been reading up that its best to get a WDH w/ sway control; but I am not sure if I need it or not? Specifically if I need it to get the trailer home to the house where I can buy my own WDH instead of the dealer charging me $850.

Besides it being a better overall ride, would it be dangerous to try to pull this thing home without a WDH? I was under the impression the hitch I have has distribution built in per the ratings. 

anybody have any experience with this? Trailer dry weight is 4500lbs; cant find tongue (I'm guessing around 500?)

From the borsure:

"Ford F-150 helps keep your trailer where it belongs. In line. With a max. towing capability of up to 11,300 lbs.1 in every cab type, the stabilization benefits of standard trailer sway control, and an integrated trailer brake controller,2 F-150 offers a high level of towing confidence. Standard hill start assist helps prevent you from rolling back on a grade by momentarily maintaining brake pressure until the engine delivers enough torque to move the truck up the hill. Trucks equipped with the trailer brake controller can automatically apply the trailer brake too. Included in every Trailer Tow Package, our 6-speed SelectShift? automatic transmission features a progressive range select mode you can use to lock-out upper gears for better performance when the truck is heavily loaded or when towing on grades. In the Max. Trailer Tow Package on select models, convenient PowerScope? trailer tow mirrors feature both power-telescoping and power-folding functionality. Tow more. Sweat less. With F-150."

It has the max tow package installed.

Assuming you don't live across the country you should be good to get it home. If the weather is causing a problem (Windy). Then wait a day or two to pick it up or just drive slow enough that it's not a problem.

Once you get it home GET a WD/with anti sway. It's the best money you will ever spend. The choices are endless. Just be sure to look at the installation instructions to make sure it will fit.

This is the one I choose.

https://www.etrailer.com/Weight-Distribution/Husky/HT32217.html

I like it and it works for us.

I also recommend that you install it and understand how it works. I've seen a few out on the road that the spring bars were not carrying any weight. When I mentioned it to the driver he replied well that the way the dealer set it up.

Thanks for the reply gizmo. It appears our hitch (see you have a newer f150) has WD and sway control built in already. Is there a chance that will actually take care of wd and sway or are you saying the stock wd hitch doesn?t perform as well as an aftermarket one?

The factory hitch is not a WDH. I agree you should be fine getting it home. Along with the one recommended above, look at Equal-I-Zer brand, and a Fastway E2. I think Reese has recently come out with a new hitch also. The dual cam Reese is a good one also, but a pain to set up. Costly also

I agree with all the above 100%, especially the WDH recommendations.  Keep it under 65mph and you will be fine.  When I got mine, I pulled farther with a tad less set-up than you, and it wasn't bad.  Stearing was a bit floaty with the rear end sag, but not terrible. 

It appears our hitch (see you have a newer f150) has WD and sway control built in already.
No,  it does not have WD. What it does have is an automatic correction response to sway after it starts. It's a recovery action, not a preventative.
WD shifts weight from the rear axle to the front. That's why the hitch weight rating increases with WD.
Whether you need WD hitch or not depends on the tongue weight you will tow. If the tongue weight is 500 lbs or less, you are good to go.  If more than 500, you need WD.  That's the tongue weight of the loaded trailer, so figure 10% of the trailer GVWR and you will be safe at the max weight.

0949er said:
Thanks for the reply gizmo. It appears our hitch (see you have a newer f150) has WD and sway control built in already. Is there a chance that will actually take care of wd and sway or are you saying the stock wd hitch doesn?t perform as well as an aftermarket one?

Looks like they have answered your questions.....

When pulling our trailer with the WD hitch it would be easy to forget it's back there. That's how well it works.

SpencerPJ said:
I agree with all the above 100%, especially the WDH recommendations.  Keep it under 65mph and you will be fine.  When I got mine, I pulled farther with a tad less set-up than you, and it wasn't bad.  Stearing was a bit floaty with the rear end sag, but not terrible. 

I was thinking 55 and under....When we travel, I set the cruise to 60 and leave it alone for the most part. Not only is it more relaxing while driving it keeps my MPG around 10. If I try 65 - 70 MPH the MPG drop to 6 due to wind resistance on the trailer. The time I lose driving slower is made up quickly by not stopping for gas as often..Not to mention refilling the truck cost is about $80.

You'll do fine as is to get home.  Stay at 55 mph.

The good thing is that after a couple hour drive you will have a feel for how it handles and then any improvements you add will have a baseline to compare it with.

Fill your gas tank BEFORE you pick up the trailer and also check the tire pressures on the trailer. Your truck rear tires should be at maximum pressure to prevent sway.

Do you have a working brake controller that is actually wired to the trailer connector?  I know two people who recently bought trailers and thought the built in brake controller was wired to the connector. It wasn't.

So check your brakes after connecting to the trailer. 

Arch Hoagland said:
You'll do fine as is to get home.  Stay at 55 mph.

The good thing is that after a couple hour drive you will have a feel for how it handles and then any improvements you add will have a baseline to compare it with.

Fill your gas tank BEFORE you pick up the trailer and also check the tire pressures on the trailer. Your truck rear tires should be at maximum pressure to prevent sway.

Do you have a working brake controller that is actually wired to the trailer connector?  I know two people who recently bought trailers and thought the built in brake controller was wired to the connector. It wasn't.

So check your brakes after connecting to the trailer.

I know the brake controller works, I have used it on a small pop up that has electronic brakes. When you say back tires at maximum, I?m guessing we are talking over the door specs of ~35 psi? Also, I have some off-road nitro terra grappler g2s, hoping that?s not a problem ?

0949er said:
I know the brake controller works, I have used it on a small pop up that has electronic brakes. When you say back tires at maximum, I?m guessing we are talking over the door specs of ~35 psi? Also, I have some off-road nitro terra grappler g2s, hoping that?s not a problem ?

When I was towing I always ran my truck's back tires at the pressure stamped in the sidewall of the tire. 

Can't tell you what to do on your Terra Grappler g2s.   

Gary RV_Wizard said:
No,  it does not have WD. What it does have is an automatic correction response to sway after it starts. It's a recovery action, not a preventative.
WD shifts weight from the rear axle to the front. That's why the hitch weight rating increases with WD.
Whether you need WD hitch or not depends on the tongue weight you will tow. If the tongue weight is 500 lbs or less, you are good to go.  If more than 500, you need WD.  That's the tongue weight of the loaded trailer, so figure 10% of the trailer GVWR and you will be safe at the max weight.

I have two hitches in my truck for when I go pick up my trailer. One is a standard 2 5/16" (rated up to 10k) adjustable (1k tongue) height hitch that I hope I can stick with. I also bought a WDH from Northern Tool that I hope to not have to use and want to return unopened. I plan to tow it home with the standard hitch to see how "bad" it feels; If I feel anything uneasy I will consider upgrading.

So just curious about how much "stuff" would you expect a family of 3 to carry? My wife, my 7month old and baby? I assume I need to add propane tanks, battery, gear,etc all packed to the trailer to the dry weight to get the GVWR. what is a good estimate for pots/pans/cook stuff/food/etc? I am thinking I will exceed 500lbs on the hitch but a hundred lbs or so. The WDH hitches seem to be pretty exact on the necessary tongue weight? The one I have purcahsed has a raiting of 800-1000 lbs tongue; I dont think I will have that much.

You should be fine coming home and keeping the hitch wt around 500#. 

We have a 2 YO granddaughter, who frequently goes with us, and her stuff will be at least half that amount!  Now add pots, pans, food, bed linens, toiletries, lawn chairs, grill, propane, etc.  You will be way over 500 lbs of added stuff.

As previously stated, you WILL want a WD hitch when you go camping!

grashley said:
https://m.northerntool.com/shop/tools/product_200307218_200307218You should be fine coming home and keeping the hitch wt around 500#. 

We have a 2 YO granddaughter, who frequently goes with us, and her stuff will be at least half that amount!  Now add pots, pans, food, bed linens, toiletries, lawn chairs, grill, propane, etc.  You will be way over 500 lbs of added stuff.

As previously stated, you WILL want a WD hitch when you go camping!

Can any of you guys comment on this hitch?

https://m.northerntool.com/shop/tools/product_200307218_200307218

I am NOT a hitch expert, but that is a decent weight range for you.  Curt makes a decent product.  I does claim sway control.

0949er said:
Can any of you guys comment on this hitch?

https://m.northerntool.com/shop/tools/product_200307218_200307218

That hitch needs one or two friction sway control bars added if you want sway control.  It is identical to the one sold by Harbor Freight.

I went with the hitch today. Ran her about 1 hr 30 minutes without any issues. Do you think the sway bar is something I can add after the fact or do I need to sell and replace the entire unit? I might wait until I am for sure I need the anti-sway bar.... Again, did not notice any load shift at all in the trailer up at highway speeds

If the hitch works for your purposes, and you load the trailer correctly to alleviate sway, why bother changing the hitch? The biggest reason I like a hitch with built in sway control is as an aid when trucks pass and gusty side winds. As far as general sway control, loading the trailer correctly will do more for control than the sway control feature of a hitch.

0949er said:
I went with the hitch today. Ran her about 1 hr 30 minutes without any issues. Do you think the sway bar is something I can add after the fact or do I need to sell and replace the entire unit? I might wait until I am for sure I need the anti-sway bar.... Again, did not notice any load shift at all in the trailer up at highway speeds

And to answer, yes, you can add sway control. Something like this.  Kit complete.  There are others, this is just an example.

https://www.walmart.com/ip/CURT-Sway-Control-Kit-17200/17385938?wmlspartner=wlpa&selectedSellerId=0&adid=22222222227036459330&wl0=&wl1=g&wl2=c&wl3=70631217769&wl4=pla-158322480769&wl5=9016155&wl6=&wl7=&wl8=&wl9=pla&wl10=8175035&wl11=online&wl12=17385938&wl13=&veh=sem&gclid=CjwKCAjwp_zkBRBBEiwAndwD9T9gYZWvuiANsZVMayVE9flujq2jIX7XWcuYVlHrn8ui1rdAdcjJERoCB9EQAvD_BwE

Back
Top Bottom