Anderson Ultimate 5th Wheel Hitch Chains Question

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an RV or an interest in RVing!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Gizmo

Any owners of the AUH who have their chains, can you tell me the length of the chains?  I have chains so no need to buy their chain kit, I just needed and ordered the eye bolts to attach the chains to the pin box.  The chains I have I am sure are longer than I will need and likely end up cutting them down. 

I have the Andersen, but not the chains.  I suggest hooking up, backing to a max turn (90?) and measuring from the eye hooks to the chain attachment point on the outside of the turn, and add 6 inches.

I have a set of chains but I'm at work right now. I will measure them tonight if no one else has replied by then.

I have never used them - they are still in the box. I bought them just in case I was ever questioned by an LEO hoping they would let me install them on the spot rather than give me a ticket. According to Andersen, only 1 state requires them (IA, I think). But you never know.

Joezeppy said:
Gizmo, the chains themselves (no hooks) are 34-1/2" long.

Thank you for your reply, this helps. Initially, when I purchased the AUH, I did not consider chains might be needed, especially since they did not come with the hitch, nor was there any mention of it with the order etc.  I asked Anderson about chains and why they do not provide at least the eye bolts to attach chains to.  They replied that chains are a gray area, where some states require it in their laws, but do not enforce it, some states enforce it and many do not require them, so they leave it up to the customer to decide for themselves whether to add chains or not.  I have since learned Texas tickets for not having chains and since on Tuesday we will be traveling through many states from South Fl to Oregon, including travel through Texas, I figured I better, if not install them, do as you did and have them on board.

This thread caused me to wonder about the use of chains (safety chains). My state certainly requires them for trailers connecting to a ball hitch at the rear of the vehicle. For me, knowing why they are required, in case the trailer somehow comes off the ball, makes sense. In the event of the trailer detaching, the likely damage to the trailer pales compared to what it could do if it collided with another vehicle or a pedestrian.

Since gooseneck hitches, and by extension, Anderson hitches, are location variant ball hitches, why would one not want safety chains? In my state gooseneck hitches are required to have them.

So, help me understand why someone who actually has the safety chains would carry them uninstalled?
Yes, officer, that is my trailer in the field. I have the safety chains right here in the truck. So, what is the problem?

I am no safety expert, but this is my thought process.

I had an empty utility trailer come off the ball once.  On the interstate.  The safety chains were properly connected, and what could have been a BIG problem was a minor inconvenience.  The trailer stayed connected without dragging the tongue.  I pulled to the shoulder and reconnected.  The hitch latch had come open.  I learned.  After that, the hitch latch was always padlocked closed.  No more issues.

Bumper hitch trailers have many "weak" points, including the hitch, as in my case, or an entire receiver pin shearing. This type of trailer vary in size and weight from well under 1000 lbs to well over 10,000 lbs.  Regs must cover all of these.  Safety chains can save your lunch!!!  I have no statistics on how often this happens, and many occurrences will go unreported, like mine, because the chains did their job.

FW hitches of any type, IMHO, are much less susceptible to coming loose.  Commercial tractor trailer rigs use a FW connection, and chains are not required.  Again, I have no stats, but I do not remember a case where one came loose unless as a RESULT of an accident.  More often, they stay connected and prevent the accident from being worse!

On my Andersen Ultimate hitch, there is a solid aluminum block attached to the FW pin, which has a ball receiver machined into it.  This is firmly attached to the King Pin with high grade bolts.  Once the FW is lowered onto the ball, a pin slides in under the ball, locking the ball in the aluminum block, and this pin is latched in place.  Also, there is over a ton of downward force holding everything in place. (pin wt)  If the ball goes into the receiver, and is latched in place, it is NOT coming off, thus no need for chains.    Even if it did come off,  the front of the FW would hit the pavement, stopping its travel in a very short distance, and probably keeping it upright, since the entire front edge would provide lateral stability.  Chains not needed.      My opinion.

Andersen markets the hitch as a 5th wheel hitch and that apparently has convinced most states that chains are not needed. My feelings/theories as to why they are not needed are the same as Gordon's. Adding to my comment about being stopped without chains, if was going to knowingly drive through IA or TX, I would install them ahead of time.

Joezeppy said:
Andersen markets the hitch as a 5th wheel hitch and that apparently has convinced most states that chains are not needed. My feelings/theories as to why they are not needed are the same as Gordon's. Adding to my comment about being stopped without chains, if was going to knowingly drive through IA or TX, I would install them ahead of time.

I agree with this and Gordon's reply.  Having said that, as I already had chains, hooks etc. the only expense ($39.00) was for the Anderson Ultimate Hitch eye bolts that attach to the king pin adapter and it only took a few minutes to replace the original bolts so no point not using the chains and worry about getting ticketed.  Since I fail to see how safety chains are going to help in the unlikely event of the 5th wheel becoming disconnected, the more likely event of getting ticketed is my primary motivation.

Gizmo said:
I agree with this and Gordon's reply.  Having said that, as I already had chains, hooks etc. the only expense ($39.00) was for the Anderson Ultimate Hitch eye bolts that attach to the king pin adapter and it only took a few minutes to replace the original bolts so no point not using the chains and worry about getting ticketed. Since I fail to see how safety chains are going to help in the unlikely event of the 5th wheel becoming disconnected, the more likely event of getting ticketed is my primary motivation.

I'm glad I'm not the only one that was thinking the chains were pointless. But that said I don't have a 5th wheel.

Maybe we need to discuss this at the next meeting of the Gizmo's

Gizmo100 said:
I'm glad I'm not the only one that was thinking the chains were pointless. But that said I don't have a 5th wheel.

Maybe we need to discuss this at the next meeting of the Gizmo's

LOL! It is on the agenda.

I didn't think they would do anything, but the last thing I need is some Barney 5 type hassling me. This is the secound year for using chains. BTW Anderson gave me back the bed of my pickup. It used to take two men and a boy to yank my old fifth wheel hitch. Now 5 minutes and I can toss hitch out of truck myself.

dennisokey said:
I didn't think they would do anything, but the last thing I need is some Barney 5 type hassling me. This is the secound year for using chains. BTW Anderson gave me back the bed of my pickup. It used to take two men and a boy to yank my old fifth wheel hitch. Now 5 minutes and I can toss hitch out of truck myself.

That is pretty much why I installed them which took all of 10-minutes.  We were preparing to travel from Naples, FL to SoCal where we are now and on to SE Oregon.  Our route took us through Texas, a state where I understand they enforce chains.  Considering this and the number of states we were crossing the chains removed one less worry.  Having now traveled 2,600 miles with them I have found they really are no big deal and has become a part of the hitching up routine.  It is funny you mentioned about regaining the bed of your truck which is often sited as a main reason for selecting the AUH.  In my case while this is an advantage, was not my primary reason for selecting the AUH as with all the pickups I have owned it was rare I needed the full bed, yet the ease of gaining easy access to the bed proved beneficial to us right away.  Because we traded in our truck camper I needed the bed to carry the truck camper to the dealer and with the AUH, I was able to purchase it ahead of the trade and purchase and carry it in the truck camper.  Then shorty after when doing my solar install, I purchased residential high voltage panels which because of size had to be shipped freight and required me to pick up at the depot.  It was so easy to remove the hitch to accomplish this and then reinstall when ready to tow.  I am loving this hitch.

On another rig we had in the past we used the Anderson hitch and after hearing some stories about rvers being shut down and ticketed for not having chains on their hitch I went ahead and installed them. I do think it was silly because as others have stated there was really no way the trailer was going to come loose. All it takes though is some a**hole cop to harass you about it, so there you go.  :-\

Back
Top Bottom