Sewer hoses for Class A RV

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an RV or an interest in RVing!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

klscjms

My wife and I will be picking up our new MH in the next couple of weeks and we have been researching sewer hoses. It seems like there are pros and cons to almost all of them. We would appreciate some input on ones that you have used and like. Thanks. Ken

I?ve tried most of them.  The ones I have now are the best yet.  Bend into shape and it stays. It collapses and stays collapsed - makes storage simple and always the perfect length to reach the drain.

Camco Rhino Flex.

We are sewer solution fans. No more stinky slinky and never a problem. It all fits in a 5 gallon bucket. The only thing we have had to replace was the hose. It is a common hose and readily available at just about any hardware store.

https://www.amazon.com/Valterra-SS01-Sewer-Solution-Hose/dp/B00CCYWJQK

For general use it is hard to beat the Camco Rhino Flex 20 ft kit with elbow (under $40 on Amazon)    It includes 2 10 ft sections, along with a translucent 90 degree fitting.  The majority of the time you will likely find that 1 10 ft section is all you need, but it sure is nice to have that extra linking section for the rare times you find you need it.  Now if you plan to travel full time, you may want to invest in something tougher, but for typical 30-90 days per year in the RV the standard Rhinoflex will usually last for years.

p.s. the Sewer solution may be great for some people some of the time, but I would still want a standard hose for those times when a water connection is not available, either at dump stations with no water hookup or those where the hoses don't have fittings on the ends.

I have bought the cheapest ones and the most expensive ones. Both types fell apart within a year or two. Sunshine ruins the plastic and they develop leaks.

I have used the hose the dealer tossed in for free (IT's a crap hose but it was the one I used when I was stuck in GA for 3 years)  Rino Flex and now a Tetford Sentinel  Of them the Sentinel is the one I like best.. Flexible.  Good RV end. (Easy to grip) and heavy enough material it has held up ...

I think the best is "Drain Master" (Advertised as the last sewer hose you will ever buy. This is because once you buy one if it ever fails they send you a new one lifetime warranty).

I am very much AGAINST the sewer soulution 
The SS is a fresh water powered jet pump..  You use gallons of fresh water both consuming a precious resource and adding to the park's waste water load.. To do a job that can be done by a few watt hours of electricity with a Flo-Jet macerator pump (Which I also use when I have to).

I was very happy with my Rhino Flex hose, then I bought a new rv.  We bought a Winnebago, and the port for the sewer hose was too small to allow the hose to pass through due to projections on the connector.  I ended up buying a 2 ft connector hose (I don't remember the brand, the connectors were red) and it fit through the floor of the wet bay.  I hadn't heard of sewer solutions, I'm going to do a little research, and may switch.

8Muddypaws said:
I?ve tried most of them.  The ones I have now are the best yet.  Bend into shape and it stays. It collapses and stays collapsed - makes storage simple and always the perfect length to reach the drain.

Camco Rhino Flex.

X's 2 ...Although we haven't had it long enough to say it's a good long term setup.

The Sewer Solution is a poor choice for anyone that uses a tote tank for waste water disposal at parks with no sewer connection at the sites. Or any location with limited water availability...

I've used a Valterra for about five years now, sometimes months at a time. I also have the Rhino from Walmart. No comparison, the Valterra is way better. Better connectors, and thicker material. I know both companies make various grades, so look at the specs to see the thickness of the material, and make sure it has swivel fittings.

Our Cameo came with a Waste Master hose which I like because it (1) holds its shape; (2) has an integrated valve at the exit end; (3) also has a viewing tube at the exit end; and (4) collapses to fit in the transverse storage tube in the 5er.  Pricier than most but worth it.  It hasn't let me down.

https://www.amazon.com/s?k=rv+sewer+hose&hvadid=241927975855&hvdev=c&hvlocphy=9028300&hvnetw=g&hvpos=1t1&hvqmt=e&hvrand=7120504780226802436&hvtargid=kwd-21286051&tag=googhydr-20&ref=pd_sl_4a70zb8d3d_e

(Are there instructions on this site to embed a URL into plain text?  Thanks)

Buy one of the better (more expensive) brands, e.g. Rhino, Valterra Dominator, Wastemaster, etc. At the very least, buy the double or triple thickness hoses - they last much longer so you don't have to deal with the inevitable pin hold leaks as often.

Born2Travel said:
We are sewer solution fans. No more stinky slinky and never a problem. It all fits in a 5 gallon bucket. The only thing we have had to replace was the hose. It is a common hose and readily available at just about any hardware store.

What hose did you find at a hardware store?  My Sewer Solution hoses are bigger on the ends, to accept the metal cylindrical connectors for the hoses, as well as where it connects to the plastic unit.  I couldn't find any "regular" hoses that would work with those cylindrical connectors.

I will say again that I do not approve of or recommend the Sewer Solution as it wastes water big time

Hardware Stores carry "Bulk" hose.. cut to length. in assorted sizes from around 1/4 inch up to an inch or more inside diameter. than all you need is the proper connector. they sell barbed connectors too. and a hose clamp or 2.

John From Detroit said:
I will say again that I do not approve of or recommend the Sewer Solution as it wastes water big time

Hardware Stores carry "Bulk" hose.. cut to length. in assorted sizes from around 1/4 inch up to an inch or more inside diameter. than all you need is the proper connector. they sell barbed connectors too. and a hose clamp or 2.

Why does this make me picture the infamous sewer hose scene from the movie RV?    (personally I will stick with the $20 pre-made hoses, Rhino Flex, etc.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=0t4M_9wj7S4

Trivet said:
What hose did you find at a hardware store?  My Sewer Solution hoses are bigger on the ends, to accept the metal cylindrical connectors for the hoses, as well as where it connects to the plastic unit.  I couldn't find any "regular" hoses that would work with those cylindrical connectors.
It is 3/4" ID reinforced hose. The end fit tightly into the barbs/connectors/appliances and I mean tightly. But once they are on you don't have to do it again until the hose is replaced. I soak the end in hot water squirt some dish soap onto the fitting and it will slide on. I have found that cutting the end of the hose at a slight angle helps a great deal. 

https://www.amazon.com/Duda-Energy-HPpvc075-025ft-Pressure-Resistant/dp/B00TMTFV3G/ref=sr_1_1?keywords=PVC+Reinforced+Hose+3%2F4%22+ID+X+1%22+OD+25+Ft&qid=1554069957&s=hi&sr=1-1-catcorr

Born2Travel said:
It is 3/4" ID reinforced hose. The end fit tightly into the barbs/connectors/appliances and I mean tightly. But once they are on you don't have to do it again until the hose is replaced. I soak the end in hot water squirt some dish soap onto the fitting and it will slide on. I have found that cutting the end of the hose at a slight angle helps a great deal. 
Aah, when I was looking for hose, I saw the kind you linked to, but couldn't get the connector in.  So I wasn't imagining things.

I can see that working for the hose that connects to the device itself--just force it on there and leave it.  That's good to know.  But I'm looking for extension hoses that can be taken apart, and from what you describe, these can't be taken apart, or certainly not easily.  And if you use it for the hose that attaches to the device, do you "permanently" attach the connector for the donut as well, so you can't use extensions?  Like in this photo, the fitting at the end of the hose connects to the donut, and I don't think it will work for adding an extension hose.

http://www.valterra.com/wp-content/uploads/2013/09/SS01_bulk.jpg

I have a 20' I normally use. I have another 10' I can attach if i need it. I use a metal barb to attach the two together. I have only needed the extra 10' a handful of times.  Taken apart or connected easily is subjective. To me it is easy to connect them. It is easier to connect a stinky slinky quarter turn connector. But with heat to soften the rubber and a bit of liquid soap they quickly assemble and getting them apart is quite simple. None of the connections are permanent. 

Trivet said:
these can't be taken apart, or certainly not easily.[/url]

You put a barbed to threaded connector on the outlet end of the first hose than matching connectors on the extension(s) and hook 'em together just like hooking garden hoses together.

Born2Travel said:
I have a 20' I normally use. I have another 10' I can attach if i need it. I use a metal barb to attach the two together. I have only needed the extra 10' a handful of times.  Taken apart or connected easily is subjective. To me it is easy to connect them. It is easier to connect a stinky slinky quarter turn connector. But with heat to soften the rubber and a bit of liquid soap they quickly assemble and getting them apart is quite simple. None of the connections are permanent.
Thanks for the additional description.  In my case, "easily" means as easily as the proprietary Sewer Solution hoses.  I have five 10-foot SS hoses, but have been known to need 100 feet.  I've used PVC in the past, but don't have room in the RV for a bunch of it, and they're not making the cheap thin-walled stuff any more so I don't like buying new stuff when I need it.  So I was thinking of switching to hoses for these long runs, but having to heat them up to use them isn't an attractive prospect.

I'm all for cobbling together my own stuff, but in this case it sounds like Sewer Solution really does have a better tool for the job when it comes to extensions, so I'll convince myself I'm okay with buying what they're offering.

Back
Top Bottom