Water heater maintenance

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an RV or an interest in RVing!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Jey

Going to be removing my water heater in the next few days to continue floor work on my TT

It got me to thinking that it probably hasn?t had any cleaning or maintenance recently and wondered what people do to keep their water heaters running smoothly? Keep in mind it will be unplugged and out of the trailer.

I saw a video a while back that involved cleaning it inside with vinegar but I can?t seem to locate it again.
Do I need special tools?

Thanks!

The first question is what brand of water heater do you have, it makes a difference in how you care for them

Just flush it out with plenty of fresh water to get the accumulated salts out of the bottom.  If you like, you can fill it with a strong white vinegar solution and let it steep 12-24 hours before flushing, but in my opinion it's a waste of time. Vinegar isn't strong enough to remove any noticeable amount of scale, and anything strong enough to do that will damage the tank anyway.

What Gary said. While you have it out open every port you can and baically stick a garden hose in it and let 'er rip ...  (you may need and adapter to hook the hose up.

I got one of these last year and it works real good.  It puts off a very small high pressure stream to help break up and deposits.
https://www.homedepot.com/p/Camco-RV-Water-Heater-Tank-Rinser-11691/205808422?cm_mmc=Shopping%7CG%7CBase%7CAll-Products%7CAll%7CAll%7CPLA%7c71700000014585962%7c58700001236285396%7c92700010802552406&gclid=EAIaIQobChMIqOzShIOl4QIV3__jBx3TCwxEEAQYAiABEgJNKfD_BwE&gclsrc=aw.ds

Thanks everyone!

Found another video regarding the vinegar trick..

https://youtu.be/TL7AtXJYNcc

I wonder if letting the vinegar soak for a few days in the water heater would do any harm.. since I won?t be using it for a while

Atwood manual says fill with vinegar, then run through a few heat/ cool cycles.

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
CampMike2270
Back
Top Bottom