Documents while Full Timing It?

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an RV or an interest in RVing!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Conquest2011

Our plan is to full time 9 months and come home for approximately 3 months. We will maintain our home and other properties, whoever, I am not sure what documents we will need and how to safe guard them while on the road.

These are docs I am considering: Vehicle titles and insurance policies, proof of health insurance, pet vaccinations, DD214 and that's about all I can think of. Am I missing something? I don't want to be 2,000 miles away and need a document of some sort.

I am always thinking "What If" as in emergency. So that leads into what type of container I should be using to store these documents in case disaster strikes. I keep all the important docs in safety deposit box locally, but while on the road I won't have them readily available.

Any suggestions?

I photographed every document I owned before hitting the road full time. High school graduation, marriage license, etc. I have them stored in a folder in Google Docs so they are available to me on every computer in the world that I have access too.

Vehicle titles shouldn't be needed unless you trade vehicles, I NEVER carry my DD-214. Get certified copies from your county courthouse if you feel you would need them. While you're at the courthouse, make sure they have a copy on file. Pet vaccinations, insurance stuff, etc. can be carried in a fireproof safe. Keep the safe out of sight, but where it can be accessed easily if you need to get out of the rv quickly. Some states also will give you a Veteran's ID card. Delaware does that at the DMV.

Passport, medical power of attorney official version (not copy). You do have a medical power of attorney don?t you? Important stuff, but sometimes called something different in different states. Copy of your medical history.

Thanks SeilerBird, exactly what I was looking for.

Another question I will be facing in a few years is that I will turn 62 while on the road and will need to file for Social Security benefits. Will I be able to file at any Social Security office or my local office?

I tell you what we are 6 and 1/2 months from going full time and I have more questions now then when we started researching 5 years ago.

I am fully retired from the National Guard as an M-Day Soldier. I will have my Retired Id Card and should be good to go with that.

You are welcome Steven. I started getting my SS about five years ago and I didn't have to go anywhere. I applied online.

There are a lot of great articles on full timing in the Library including this great one written by a handsome dude in Florida:

http://www.rvforum.net/joomla/index.php/29-fulltiming/435-fulltimeprep

Thanks SeilerBird,
                                I read your article in the full timing section of the library very informative. In the last 5 years of research I have covered down on about 80 percent of what you wrote. Looks like I am on track, just need to covered down on some finer details. My objective is to have a clean and smooth transition.

I know I am weak in the area of my house and properties and need to develop of plan on how to take of these issues. I have some rentals and probably end up with real estate management company. Not sure yet.

We keep difficult and impossible to replace documents in a bank safe deposit box that our two daughters have access to, with scanned or certified copies onboard along with the documents that can be replaced relatively easily, such as vehicle insurance policies. Our onboard document storage is a UL-350 1-hour rated fire and water resistant safe that's stored on the floor of a rear closet where it's the farthest from the common fire sources in our gasser Class A.

Conquest2011 said:
Thanks SeilerBird,
I know I am weak in the area of my house and properties and need to develop of plan on how to take of these issues. I have some rentals and probably end up with real estate management company. Not sure yet.
You are welcome. I found one of the keys to living full time is to do everything financial online. Absolutely everything. So if you are shopping for a real estate management company then explore their web site first. The less you have to deal with humans the better. One of the reasons for this is that most normal humans do not comprehend the idea of living in an RV. It is a lot harder to explain as you will find out.

SeilerBird said:
The less you have to deal with humans the better.

:)) :)) :))

And becoming more so day by day . . . . and not just with regard to living in an RV . . .

Back
Top Bottom