Aluminum water tank

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an RV or an interest in RVing!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

andonso

I have a friend who purchased some property where he and has wife are living in a 5th wheel.

Currently there's no water or electricity. They're using a generator to maintain house batteries and for AC appliances.

We installed a 250 gallon plastic sewer holding tank for black water that on a sewer service that periodically empties when full. His 5th wheel black water tank is 38 gallon is periodically emptied into the 250 gallons tank that has sewer service when it becomes full.

There was electrical service at one time on the property which as soon as the service box is inspected and oked for service will connect up the outdoor 110 service box on a pole to the pud.

The current problem is with the city water system is charging a $10,000 fee to connect to city water, along a road next to the property. AFAWK there no well on the property. To dig a well has been roughly estimated to be $11,000 or possibly higher.

In the mean time we've been looking around for a water solution as there's no bulk water service in our area. We are thinking of installing large water tank ~250 - 500 gallons that can be filled from smaller 50-60 gallon tanks from a pickup.

We found a used 550 gallon plastic water tank, that was sold before we were able to contact the seller.

Then we came across another used 350 gallon tank, the only problem is it's made from aluminum. Seller described can be used for water, however I've been reading that aluminum water tanks, even though installed on boats, etc. that plastic food grade tanks are preferred as water holding tanks.

Some people have stated they've used aluminum water tanks for 15 to 25 plus years without any problems, while others have stated concerns about aluminum used for water storage. Problems such as aluminum getting into drinking water and reacting with chlorine, etc.

I'm uncertain if any source water such as from well or city water would have any chlorine.

Anyway I was looking for any feedback using aluminum tanks to store water which likely would only be used for washing dishes, taking showers, washing clothes and for a toilet. Currently water is coming from those 5 gallon jugs filled from water machine at a local store.

What concerns are there when using aluminum holding tanks to store water to be fed into a RV's main water tank which in this 5th wheel is 50 gallons (plastic water tank).?

A water holding tank is only a temporary solution until we figure how to connect to the city water for less than $10k. We're going to consult with the city water to see if they have some sort of time payment where payment towards the $10,000 fee would part of a monthly bill.

From what I've been told, since the city upgraded their water system that comes from wells pumped into large cement holding tanks they increased their connection fee. So it's possible they will lessen the connection fee sometime in the future.

I can't answer the tank question, but $11,000 to drill a well? :eek: How deep do they have to go, 11,000'?

A quick Google shows that chlorine (that is in public water to kill germs) also attacks and dissolves aluminum.  It is not good to drink aluminum.  Plastic would be a much better option.

Has anyone thought about driving a point? How high is the water table there? 
Or higher a backhoe for a couple of hours, dig a deep hole, drop in some well tiles then back fill with crushed stone.

Here's a good article talking about aluminum water tanks on boats.  Bottom line is not recommended for long term storage.  It would probably be fine for a transfer tank (e.g. in the back of a pickup to transfer water to the storage tank).  https://www.boats.com/reviews/aluminum-water-tanks-safe-to-use/

If there's a Tractor Supply or similar store in the area, check with them for poly bulk liquid storage tanks. Tractor Supply has a 550 gallon potable tank for $500.

https://www.tractorsupply.com/tsc/product/liquid-storage-tank-550-gal?cm_vc=-10005

but $11,000 to drill a well?
Rocky ground?

Plus many health codes now require that a well be deep enough to reach the 2nd or 3rd strata of the water table - shallow wells to the first strata are easily contaminated with ground water, lawn chemicals, septic systems, etc.

Gary RV_Wizard said:
Rocky ground?

Plus many health codes now require that a well be deep enough to reach the 2nd or 3rd strata of the water table - shallow wells to the first strata are easily contaminated with ground water, lawn chemicals, septic systems, etc.

Exactly, Our well here is a couple hundred feet deep in order to penetrate the rock layer and get to what is called "The Jordan Vein".  Above that the water has chemicals and sewage in small amounts, but it is there.  A sand point can be used to water lawns, ect.

I have gravity water from a spring and I have it flowing into a 250 gallon plastic tank and from there down to our house. I clean it out once a year and have had it now for thirty trouble free years.
You can get almost any size you want at any large plumbing supply house and a 500 gallon one is around $400

Jack L
I

When I was stationed in Oahu at lot of people, particularly on the Big Island, used water cisterns.  It was their only source of water and they used some sophisticated filtering system.  You probably don't want to go to that expense and I'm sure the mainland states have restrictions.

Latest posts

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
RoyL57
Back
Top Bottom