Should I allow our 07 45 foot newmar to be towed

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an RV or an interest in RVing!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Newmar Nightmare

We are having a problem with the brains to our new Newmar Essex.  They came out and replaced one brain and now it starts but now they believe something is wrong with the one on the tranny so they want to tow it.  Anyone out there that has experience with allowing something of this size to be towed.  oh, by the way it will have to be pulled out backwards from the space it is in first.  thanks in advance for any thoughts.

I would think your Manual would give that info.  Also I would call a towing co. that hauls big rigs.  They can give you precise info.  Sorry for your troubles and hope its corrected immediately.  Good Luck

I was really looking for those who have had some experience in allowing theirs to be towed or know of someone who have had theirs towed.  I know it can be done just if I want it to be done.  :-\

A friend had his 45 foot Monaco towed 80 miles while we were on a trip earlier this year. He'd punched a hole in the oil pan and the nearest Cummins care facility was in another state. His coach did not appear to have suffered any ill effects from the towing. But, as Shayne suggested, use someone who has experience and equipment for towing big rigs and check your owners manual for correct towing procedures.

Some towing outfits will put the rig on a low flat bed trailer.  Can you get Newmar or Spartan to arange for the toe?  You do need a towing company that is equiped and knowledgable in towing big rigs.

Soory to hear you are having problems and hope they get resolved soon.  Please let us know how everything works our.

Newmar Nightmare said:
We are having a problem with the brains to our new Newmar Essex.  They came out and replaced one brain and now it starts but now they believe something is wrong with the one on the tranny so they want to tow it.  Anyone out there that has experience with allowing something of this size to be towed.  oh, by the way it will have to be pulled out backwards from the space it is in first.  thanks in advance for any thoughts.

On towing , yes I have had it done. Must have someone who knows how to do whole job including disconnecting driveshaft, airing brakes ,etc as well as the proper rig that has extendable arms that can reach under unit to axles and ability to manipulate the arms to ensure not tearing up fiberglass when the lift is made. I would call Spartan who will not only pay for tow but should know the proper outfit to do it.

On tranny brains - the brains (TCM/ECU) are actually mounted in DS Newmar coaches in a compartment not physically on tranny as is ECM so no reason to tow to replace  - but yours may be different.

Back
Top Bottom