2011 Adventurer Jacks

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an RV or an interest in RVing!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Argus21

Two of the levelling jacks on the unit won't stay down and drift up after auto levelling has been used.  They don't go all the way up and no fluid leaks can be seen.  Wiped all the jackshafts off with a clean rag and WD-40 and again, no leaks were found.

Where do I add or check the fluid in the system if that is needed?  What fluid is called for in the levelling system?

Thanks

John, I am not sure, I will look when I get home and get back to you.

The fluid is leaking back into the jack hydraulic reservoir through the valve for the line. Hydraulic jacks work by pumping fluid under pressure through an open solenoid valve, then closing the valve to hold it in place. If the valve leaks, pressure is lost and the jack comes up.

Looking at the Parts Catalog for the OP's coach the Leveling System part numbers look like HWH ones, for example:
    JACK - 9K VENDOR NO: RAP92729/AP45656

To all:
It is an HWH 625/2000  system according to the Operator Manual Supplement.

I used HWH labeled fluid for my system, I think it's some kind of transmission fluid but it was easier and safer to just buy the HWH brand. My reservoir tank is under my front steps but I don't know where yours is located. The tank and motor should be co-located so listen for the motor noise and/or follow the hoses. You would have to check your manual but I think you check the fluid level with jacks and slides retracted.

Gary is probably correct about leaking valves, if the cylinder seals were leaking you should see some evidence of that on the jack shafts. The puzzle is two of them leaking down at the same time - did they both start at the same time or one then some time later the other one?

Thanks John.  I think my filler must be somewhere around the drivers door as that is where all the racket comes from when the key is turned on.  My operator manual wasn't too specific on it's location and I hate getting under that rig to find stuff

Jim

I have a 02 Journey, the fill cap for the tank is a combo deal, it's a vent and dip stick for the fluid level.  HWH does state Dexron trans fluid can be used.

Looking at the Parts Catalog for your coach it looks like the pump and reservoir, etc. are on the drivers side to the rear of the left front jack (if I'm looking at the picture correctly).

Attachments

• Leveling System.jpg
    Leveling System.jpg
    43.2 KB · Views: 20
Thanks to cbeierl and TOP38 for information on the system.

Jim

I did nothing to the system but think I have managed a fix without a visit to the accursed dealer. 
I used the jacks to get the rig off its' tires and level according to a carpenter level on the floor in the middle of the rig.  Each jackpad had the same level of shoring under it.  I then did some estimates on jack extension used to achieve the level state. Bricks were placed under the tires nearest the most extended jacks and used a small spade to dig out under the wheels nearest the least extended jacks.  After lowering the rig, it was then auto levelled using the system.
It has remained level for the last 5 days without any jack retraction.  None of the jacks extended as far as they used to when it was leaking down.
I think this "unloaded" the jack system somewhat and put the tires to work doing more of the levelling and loadbearing.  My lot is gravel and we have had so much rain that there is no doubt that it has shifted to some degree.  It is just not level after all the rain.
I am not advocating avoiding service if it is needed, but I think the system was probably at or past its limits on this unlevel lot and that the tire shoring with bricks or by digging underneath them put the system back within its capabilities.  The problem appears to have been the lot in this case.
I hope this is helpful to others that may run into this.

I have found that putting 4" of blocking under the jacks aleviates a lot of problems. I have made 16" square blocks out of two layers of 2" lumber and 1/2" plywood. I leave a gap of about 2" in the center between the 2" lumber in case a jack doesn't go up I can pry with a pry bar I carry for the purpose. Since blocking every time, I rarely encounter a problem in leveling or the jacks going up.

I have a similar problem or so it seems.  I level the coach and at some point, one day or three days, I get a creaking sound and over time it seems the coach settles.  I noticed a leak on the front left jack.  So, I?m wondering if there is a slow leak (very slow) at the front driver?s side jack.  I have a scheduled appointment with the maintenance shop within a few weeks and will have them inspect this area.  I?ll let you know what the diagnosis is for this symptom!  BTW, I appreciate reading all your responses and analysis ... it helps me stay up on what may or may not be happening to my RV!  Thanks!

Back
Top Bottom