State Park campground space sizes

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an RV or an interest in RVing!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
The Trailer Life CD is a useful tool - it has a mapping capability, albeit a little crude, and shows campgrounds along the way

Tom, I really prefer the paper version, especially when we're close to state lines because I can have it open to several campgrounds in several states at the same time without scrolling all over the place.  A good example of that is when you're around the WDC/VA/MD area or the Four Corners.  I can clip pages, stick the local "paper" map in it, put it on the floor, and wait until I need it again.  Also, we stow our computers when driving so they aren't readily available for that kind of searching.  When we first started carrying a laptop we tried using it a couple of times and the roads we happened to be on were so bad we couldn't get the cursor where we wanted it to go.  Guess we gave up using a laptop way back then, while driving.  Are roads any better today?  ???

ArdraF

Ardra,

It's possible to see WDC/VA/MD and the respective campgrounds without scrolling. I'm not sure why anyone would want to see the Four Corners at the same time as WDC/VA/MD though.

As for the computer and road quality, I don't try to type while we're on a rough or bouncy road, but do position the cursor. One tip from being on the high seas is to use a wireless track ball, which all but eliminates the rough road issues.

BTW I always have our Woodalls CG directory at hand when we're getting ready to look for a place to stay the night.

Even better than a trackball, which we do have, is to learn all the keyboard shortcuts for your programs so you don't need the mouse to do most things.  I can run Street Atlas, for example, from just the keyboard once I've set it up for navigation.  The keyboard shortcuts are all user configurable so if you don't like the defaults, or there isn't one for a function, you can generally set one up.  Even Windows can be run from the keyboard without a mouse.

I put the trackball on the floor while we're traveling as several times it bounced the ball right out of the case :)

A key is much easier to hit with the finger than a button with the mouse while bouncing down the road.  Even for you, Shayne :)

I find my trackball to be far more usable for navigation than trying to type anything. I don't need to be close to the keyboard or have a wireless keyboard on my lap. When on the high seas, I don't even have a keyboard in sight.

As for memorizing keyboard shortcuts, no thanks. Most nav programs have some basic nav keys for keyboard die hards and they don't require any memorization. Left arrow to scroll left, right arrow to scroll right.

Different strokes for different folks.

Never tried to type on the water, but I do remember coming up the California coast with a push button VHF radio.  There was no dial and changing channels was almost impossible.  If your finger did hit the right key, you might move one channel or a dozen.  Got rid of that radio and got one with a dial.

I've had a similar experience Robert. It's tough to hit a button/key while pitching and rolling and even tougher when falling off a wave. Driving a rough road also makes it tough.

If it's so rough you can't hit a key, then you'll never be able to use a mouse or trackball.  Maybe voice input is the best solution.  Street Atlas has it but I've never used it, although I know people that have, with mixed results.

I keep the laptop sitting on the dashboard and use it when needed with just the keyboard and the mousepad. Never had a problem. If the road is rough, I just quit typing until it smooths out. That said, i also keep the paper versions of camp books at hand (TrailerLife, Corps of Engineers, Free Camping, freebies picked up at Welcome Centers).

Wendy
Panther Bay, Norfolk Lake, COE, Arkansas
And we got here using the laptop, the eastern version of Free Camping, and the Corps of Engineers book.

Ned said:
If it's so rough you can't hit a key, then you'll never be able to use a mouse or trackball.

That's not been my experience Ned. The fact that it works is the reason I originally bought the trackball. Maybe you just haven't had the opportunity to try  ???

s for memorizing keyboard shortcuts, no thanks. Most nav programs have some basic nav keys for keyboard die hards and they don't require any memorization. Left arrow to scroll left, right arrow to scroll right.  Different strokes for different folks.

Tom, I'm with you on this one.  Never have been good at learning those shortcut keys.  Must be something in our brain structure!  ;)

Ned, if the voice inputs are as bad as the ones in our nav systems, forgetaboutit!  The most useless thing ever invented!  It has never worked once in our new one.

ArdraF

I have tried both a trackball and the pad while in motion, and find the keyboard to be much easier and reliable.  It's really frustrating to point at one button and then hit a bump and click another, usually with undesirable results :)  I only use maybe half a dozen keyboard shortcuts in SA so they aren't hard to remember.  And the cheat sheet is only a keystroke or two away :)

Maybe it's because I used computers with only keyboards for so long, the mouse is relatively new to me and I've never really liked it as an interface device.  And now it's killing my wrist.  I much prefer touch typing, having learned it about 50 years ago.

I bet you don't scold the driver when she does hit a bump.  LOL  Get Lorna  LOL

I to prefer the trackball over anything else.  Just hate mice and trying to remmeber the keyboard shortcuts well lets just say that is not for me.

The last time I took a nap, she totaled our previous truck :)  I don't sleep much anymore.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
jeep3501
Back
Top Bottom