Sanitizing fresh water lines, not tank.

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an RV or an interest in RVing!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

pitman9

We're finally starting to get some warmish, 40s, weather around here and I got to thinking about camping and what I need to do and get.  We don't use our FW tank so I'm not too concerned about that, but I would like to sanitize our water lines.  My first thought was to make up a bleach solution and use the camper's pump to push the water around.  Then I got thinking about the line where the hose from the campground's supply connects to the camper.  I'm thinking that probably wouldn't get sanitized.  What are your thoughts on using a transfer pump to move the solution into the camper that way?

The way it's typically done is you put 1/4 cup of bleach for every 15 gallons of water in your fresh water tank, fill the tank up, then start the pump and fill all the fresh water lines. You might as well sanitize the tank at the same time. As far as the shore power inlet, shut the pump off and open a faucet the depressurize the lines. Then go outside and remove the screen on the hose fitting and push in on the small ball inside the fitting. Then have someone turn on the pump while you're holing the ball in. Use a pencil eraser so you don't damage the ball.  Doing this will fill that line up with the bleach mixture.

Just pour the required amount of bleach into the end of the water hose, then connect to the water supply and fill the tank. Even if you're not currently using the tank, you might as well kill anything growing in there.

Use water from the fresh tank and your pump to sanitize the lines.  No need to fill the tank, but why not???  Rene gave a great way to sanitize that foot or two of hose (on my rig) not covered in the pump method.

Rene T said:
The way it's typically done is you put 1/4 cup of bleach for every 15 gallons of water in your fresh water tank, fill the tank up, then start the pump and fill all the fresh water lines. You might as well sanitize the tank at the same time. As far as the shore power inlet, shut the pump off and open a faucet the depressurize the lines. Then go outside and remove the screen on the hose fitting and push in on the small ball inside the fitting. Then have someone turn on the pump while you're holing the ball in. Use a pencil eraser so you don't damage the ball.  Doing this will fill that line up with the bleach mixture.

Thanks, I'll give this a shot.  Didn't think about a check valve in the fill line.

I'd do the hose method at the city water connection.
but I also agree...great time to at least partially fill the tank with bleach solution...even if you drain it after sanitizing the whole system and just not rinse it out

Pitman9.  I have a question.  If you don't have water in the fresh water tank, how do you flush the toilet, wash your hands, etc.?  We always have water in the tank in case of emergency, such as a breakdown in the middle of nowhere.  We can still flush, wash hands, etc. if we have water available.

ArdraF

ArdraF said:
Pitman9.  I have a question.  If you don't have water in the fresh water tank, how do you flush the toilet, wash your hands, etc.?  We always have water in the tank in case of emergency, such as a breakdown in the middle of nowhere.  We can still flush, wash hands, etc. if we have water available.

ArdraF

We've been seasonal the past two years and will be this year too.  Not sure about next year.  We never kept water in the tank, but you raise a good point.  Thank you.

Then I got thinking about the line where the hose from the campground's supply connects to the camper.  I'm thinking that probably wouldn't get sanitized.
And you would be wrong about that. The city inlet Tees directly into the main plumbing, same as the water pump. Either one will fill the lines in the same way.

The only drawback to the city inlet hose method is that the hose holds only a limited amount of bleach. If you need more than a hose can hold, use a transfer pump and a jug of bleach. The pump has to generate enough pressure to force the city inlet check valve open, something like 20 psi should do it.

Gary RV_Wizard said:
And you would be wrong about that. The city inlet Tees directly into the main plumbing, same as the water pump. Either one will fill the lines in the same way.

The only drawback to the city inlet hose method is that the hose holds only a limited amount of bleach. If you need more than a hose can hold, use a transfer pump and a jug of bleach. The pump has to generate enough pressure to force the city inlet check valve open, something like 20 psi should do it.

Gary you know better. The city water inlet has a check valve and the pump will NOT pump water into the fill line past the "T". You have to depress the check valve to get pump water to the city fill connection.

Doesn't have to "pump water".  The chlorine will permeate the system over time - one of the reasons the solution is left in place for hours. In most RV water systems, the city inlet is right on the main path, or very close to it. We are talking inches, not miles.

The bleach water from the pump will not fill the water inlet line unless Rene's method to open the check valve is used.  HOWEVER as Gary said, the distance from the tee to the shore inlet is very short.  If the water at the tee has high chlorine, that chlorine WILL move up the line to equalize the chlorine level in the water.  If left overnight, the whole system is exposed to the higher chlorine levels.

Gary RV_Wizard said:
Doesn't have to "pump water".  The chlorine will permeate the system over time - one of the reasons the solution is left in place for hours. In most RV water systems, the city inlet is right on the main path, or very close to it. We are talking inches, not miles.

On my coach we are talking 2 feet.

To the OP. Why bother with all the sanitation if you fill you system with city water. Processed city water will sanitize your system. I'm going on 25 years of winterizing for 3-4 months and then filling with city water. We have experienced no ill effects. But then again, the younger generation hasn't had the opportunity to play in land fills and roll in mud on the Missouri river banks. Or operate a porta pot service. MY immune system has been challenged since I could get out side.

House Husband said:
To the OP. Why bother with all the sanitation if you fill you system with city water. Processed city water will sanitize your system.

That will be most likely a true statement if connected to a city water system but not necessarily true for a private campground where they have wells.

On my coach we are talking 2 feet.
Unusual but possible, of course. I assume you've looked to see where the actual Tee or El is, cause the distance between the pump itself and the city inlet is rarely a reliable indicator.
In any case, sanitizing depends on the free chlorine ions in the water and their ability to move around and zap microbes. Over the course of hours they will find their way everywhere. We run water to as many outlets as we can to help the process along and thus make it practical to sanitize in a few hours instead of several. If unable to let water flow through each and every branch of the system, let the chlorinated water stay in the lines longer, i.e. 7-10 hours.

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
urnwholesaler
Back
Top Bottom