rvupgradestore.com Composet Products Fridge Defend
RV Life Magazine RV Park Reviews RV Trip Wizard

Author Topic: Delta Strummers in concert 2019  (Read 241 times)

Tom

• Administrator
  • ---
  • Celebrating 25 years of The RV Forum online.
    • RV Forum web site
Delta Strummers in concert 2019
« on: April 03, 2019, 11:10:09 PM »
Preparing for an upcoming concert, the Delta Strummers have been practicing approx 42 songs in various genres. The practice list will be cut to 26 by next week (22/23 for the show, and a few 'backups'). We're back at El Campanil Theatre in Antioch this year. A refurbished Vaudeville theatre, and a great venue for performers and audiences.

The final choice will be made by our music committee, but I expect that at least 40% of the program will be new-to-us numbers, introduced to the band through open mic' sessions. We expect to have 55 performers on stage, a challenge to fit with band risers that we'll rent for the day.
Tom.  Need help? Click the Help button in the toolbar above.

Tom

• Administrator
  • ---
    • RV Forum web site
Re: Delta Strummers in concert 2019
« Reply #1 on: April 04, 2019, 11:40:14 AM »
The music committee has spoken, and the short list has 25 songs, 13 of which are new-to-us numbers. Some of them need a lot of work (practice) before they're ready for prime time. I have every confidence that our MD will whip us into shape; He wouldn't let us perform a number we can't do well, and would rather remove a song from the program.

Arch Hoagland

• ---
  • Clovis CA
« Reply #2 on: April 04, 2019, 12:10:51 PM »
How much time do you spend practicing ?  I suspect quite a bit. 
2004 Monaco La Palma 36 DBD
W22, 8.1 gas,  Allison 1000 Transmission
7.1 MPG over 90,000 miles

2000 Lexus RX300, 4020lb
U.S. Gear Braking System

Tom

• Administrator
  • ---
    • RV Forum web site
« Reply #3 on: April 04, 2019, 01:33:12 PM »
The Band practices 2 hours one evening a week, and members also practice in their own time at home. If a subset needs additional help, they'll get together among themselves &/or with the Music Director. I've gained a lot of respect/admiration for groups that pull off good performances (and without the aid of music or lead sheets).

We're fortunate to have a talented MD who is a good musician & singer, and was previously MD of an 80-voice local mixed choral group. I've known him a long time and recall telling his wife years ago that he has more musical talent in his big toe than I could accumulate in a lifetime.
« Last Edit: April 04, 2019, 10:50:20 PM by Tom »