Delta Strummers in concert 2019

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an RV or an interest in RVing!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Tom

Administrator
Preparing for an upcoming concert, the Delta Strummers have been practicing approx 42 songs in various genres. The practice list will be cut to 26 by next week (22/23 for the show, and a few 'backups'). We're back at El Campanil Theatre in Antioch this year. A refurbished Vaudeville theatre, and a great venue for performers and audiences.

The final choice will be made by our music committee, but I expect that at least 40% of the program will be new-to-us numbers, introduced to the band through open mic' sessions. We expect to have 55 performers on stage, a challenge to fit with band risers that we'll rent for the day.

The music committee has spoken, and the short list has 25 songs, 13 of which are new-to-us numbers. Some of them need a lot of work (practice) before they're ready for prime time. I have every confidence that our MD will whip us into shape; He wouldn't let us perform a number we can't do well, and would rather remove a song from the program.

The Band practices 2 hours one evening a week, and members also practice in their own time at home. If a subset needs additional help, they'll get together among themselves &/or with the Music Director. I've gained a lot of respect/admiration for groups that pull off good performances (and without the aid of music or lead sheets).

We're fortunate to have a talented MD who is a good musician & singer, and was previously MD of an 80-voice local mixed choral group. I've known him a long time and recall telling his wife years ago that he has more musical talent in his big toe than I could accumulate in a lifetime.

We have the final 24 selections for the June 1 ukulele concert, in addition to an encore number. 13 are new-to-us numbers. My personal favorite new-to-us songs are Down By The Lazy River by the Osmonds, and The Unicorn Song.

Yesterday, 58 Delta Strummers performed for a sold-out audience at El Campanil Theatre in Antioch, CA. 13 of the 24 program numbers were "new" to us this season, and we added a couple of encore numbers (San Francisco Bay Blues and The Saints). Music included a mix of genres, instrumental and vocal solos, various instruments (ukulele, banjo ukes, dulcimer, guitar, mandolin and cajon), and group playing/singing.
Chris video'd the show, and I'll upload individual numbers to YouTube after some editing.

Attachments

• Program-2.jpg
    Program-2.jpg
    109.2 KB · Views: 4
While we're waiting for our own video to be edited, here's a feed of video taken by a small camera in the sound booth at yesterday's concert. Our own video will be individual song clips with closeups of soloists and better audio of the unmic'd band.

https://vimeo.com/340029145

You guys are really great!  Everyone looks like they are having a lot of fun too.  Congrats! 

Aye David, that's what it's all about. We're just a bunch of retired folks, many of whom hadn't previously played an instrument, and who enjoy making music.

I now have half of the show on YouTube, one song to a video clip. All from the video that Chris took using an inexpensive Canon videocam and a stereo super cardioid external mic'.The YouTube playlist is here:

https://www.youtube.com/playlist?list=PL0ldztkmx38IYgVblZkFZ3DXoo9WT-nYh

Several latecomers blocked the camera view in a few places on the first number, although the audio continued in the background.

I'll continue adding as time permits.

Back
Top Bottom