Old Bones vs. Reclast

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an RV or an interest in RVing!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

maddog348

Evening ~ Any of you Ladies [or Gents] Have any experience with Osteoporosis medications ?? yea??  nay?? Durn it I'm the last of my tree and no one older to ask.  Hate medications.  Especially hesitant to take something with LOTS of side effects. And BOY Reclast has a bunch.  Would appreciate any heads-up anyone can offer.  Just trying to learn all I can.

TakeCare ~ TravelSafe ~ StayWell

Kate

Hello Kate

I "feel" your dilemma.  My last bone scan showed a little degeneration of bone tissue and the dumb doc immediately wanted me to start on Fosamax, apparently as a preventative.  I emphatically refused.  Had an acquaintance who used Fosamax for some years, which caused a leg bone fracture (known potential side effect) that led to necrotic conditions at the site of the fracture.  Three surgeries and nothing would heal it.  Very nasty deal, will likely lose leg.  It's always a trade-off if serious, un-manageable side effects (like cancer and necrotic jaws with Fosamax) are possible from the med, and serious decline is a potential without the med.  It all depends on how much YOU determine you need the med, i.e. the risk of the disease, vs. the risk of the med.  In my case, I determined the chance of breaking a hip or pelvic bone, if indeed that chance existed, was sometime off in the future and I'd deal with it then - but I'd still avoid Fosamax.  I have no info about Reclast specifically.  I'm also very leary of taking meds as "preventatives" because detailed clinical trials and studies are NOT conducted to determine their efficacy as "preventatives".   

One thought is to find out if there are on-going tests that can be conducted to determine IF dangerous side=effects are developing.  That way, IF you take the med, and find you're not reacting well, you could choose to discontinue it.

I am likely facing the same trade-off decision from taking Eliquis for blood clots.  It appears I have a gastrointestinal bleed (colonoscopy in two weeks, yippee :() and if so, do I quit the Eliquis or do I continue.  Don't know the answer yet, but my inclination is to cease taking the Eliquis.  I also dislike taking meds, but do recognize that in the majority of cases, they are life-saving so can't bash all of them all the time.

Best of success in your search for information and good wishes for your health.

Linda

The problem with the side effects lists is that they are all-inclusive of anything reported by anyone during the human trials.  Whether validated or not.  And no percentage given either.  Thus they often have conflicting information, e.g. both diarrhea and constipation listed.  Makes it difficult to apply any rational judgment based on it.

Supposedly Reclast side effects occur quickly, within 3 days, so a user can bail out and try something else rather than having long term problems. This is what I read in their public disclosures, NOT my own experience.

Gary ~~ Was told by my Dr. that since Reclast is a 15min infusion it lasts the year [til next] infusion and there is NO Backing Out.  Side effects particularly damning  ~ most often mentioned ~ Breaking of Femur ~Necrosis of Jaw ~Along with a LOT of leg pain.

Dreamsend ~~ will PM you if ok. They tried me on Fosamax years ago very briefly ~System did not tolerate. ~

Thanks all for input

Didn't know the single shot lasted a year. That could be a bummer if nasty side effects persisted.

In any case, you have to make your own call on the skimpy evidence, pro or con. My dog ain't in the fight, so my opinion is irrelevant.

Gary ~ Thanks for the support ~ It is the Broken femur  and Necrosis of Jawbone that scare the whey outta me.  Kate

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
CampMike2270
Back
Top Bottom