Sawtooth Mountains in Idaho

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an RV or an interest in RVing!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

MN Blue Skies

Site Team
Has anyone stayed in the Sawtooth Mountains in Idaho?  We'd love to hear about your experience. If you haven't been to the Sawtooth Mountains, would you like to join us in June, 2019?

jackiemac said:
Hi, yes me. Do you want me to send you some info? Did I promise that and not do it?
  After Idaho we are headed to the Oregon coast.  You sent us lots of info on your travels along the Oregon coast.  Thank you!

MN Blue Skies said:
  We'll be near Stanley, Idaho about June 8.  We've been warned that night time temps can drop below freezing.
Thanks. Guess I'll miss it. I have prior commitments the first half of June.

You've probably read that after Sawtooth we are headed over to Oregon and then up Hwy 101 in Oregon and Washington and then hopefully on to Vancouver and BC, then Banff and down to Medora.  Time and planning skills will tell.  As always we LOVE to meet up with other RVers along the way.

Max, when in Medora check out the cowboy fondue and the stage show.

Are you going northbound on Hwy 75 thru Hailey,, Ketchum,,and over Galena summit??. North of Galena you will find Lake Alturas, and  Redfish Lake & lodge, a picture post card place to die for,, then on to Stanley. ( I travel Idaho & Oregon extensively and it's a loooonng way to Hwy 101 on the coast.>>>Dan  ( After going over Galena pass, and going down the north side into a large valley,, you will notice on the right of the road a large grass airstrip (7200 feet) called Smiley creek. On the west side of the road is a very nice restaurant/ice cream bar in the western style with a very nice RV park in the rear.. It has two gas pumps in the front.. A great place to headquarter and use a towed to explore the area, including a couple of old gold dredges that you can tour...Be aware that forest fires two years ago went thru the area with great damage..>>>Dan

Utclmjmpr said:
Are you going northbound on Hwy 75 thru Hailey,, Ketchum,,and over Gelena summit??. North of Gelena you will find Lake Alturas, and  Redfish Lake & lodge, a picture post card place to die for,, then on to Stanley. ( I travel Idaho & Oregon extensively and it's a loooonng way to Hwy 101 on the coast.>>>Dan  ( After going over Gelena pass, and going down the north side into a large valley,, you will notice on the right of the road a large grass airstrip (7200 feet) called Smiley creek. On the west side of the road is a very nice restaurant/ice cream bar in the western style with a very nice RV park in the rear.. It has two gas pumps in the front.. A great place to headquarter and use a towed to explore the area, including a couple of old gold dredges that you can tour...Be aware that forest fires two years ago went thru the area with great damage..>>>Dan
Yes that's exactly the route we are taking.  Do you have any suggestions for horseback riding in that area. Preferably in the mountains.  We are in the process of trying to decide on an RV park.  We looked in Smiley Creek but parking in the back of the Lodge wasn't too appealing. There is RV park just west of Stanley that has a new owner but his prices seem high for the area.  I've heard that the Sawtooth Scenic Byway is phenomenal.  Would love to get your input.  Thanks Dan.

Dan I have another question.  We're using RV Trip Wizard to plan our trip.  We've noticed that certain routes show 150 miles taking 4+ hours. That's just an example.  Does that mean the road is curvy or rough or is Trip Wizard overestimating the time it take to travel that route. 

Idaho is a state that is "cut up" with mountains,, rivers,, trees,,all the things we like..Example: the Clearwater river from Kooskia to LoLo,, 100 miles following the Clearwater river on 12 where not one FOOT is a strait line!!,, seldom over 40 - 45 MPH. Example: Challis to Salmon on 93, following the Salmon river and at the same time over the Bitterroot range following the Snake to LoLo.. All good road, BUT twisty enough to make my cat sick!!.. I flew ( private aircraft) all over the area for 33 years and spent a lot of time in the Selway Bitterroot Wilderness area, The Sawtooth National forest area Etc.Etc Was Director of Maintenance for several helicopter companies fighting fires for the BLM,, Forestry,,and National Park Service.. One year we were headquartered at Johnson Creek ( in the Payette National forest) and fighting ( and surrounded by) 11 concurrent fires for 28 days. Years ago and far away but love the state.>>>Dan

Most use of horses I've encountered in Idaho has been the "pack" variety, used to carry food and maintenance items to the forestry towers in the outback wilderness areas that allow NO MOTORIZED anything,,Exeption: aircraft used for the same purpose.
I used to kid a local pack operator that I could leave LA in my Cessna twin and beat him to Moose Creek ranger station,, he left Stanley at the same time  ( distance for him=28 miles);D ;D >>>D

You need to take another look at Smiley Creek, the buildings in front are no different than other places that do the same. The RV area is mowed grass and well kept, full hookups, most are back-ins but not all. The restaurant is very clean and well staffed,well prepared food and reasonable priced,,did I say well positioned to explore the regional area?.>>>D

MN Blue Skies said:
  We'll be near Stanley, Idaho about June 8.  We've been warned that night time temps can drop below freezing. 
That is prime rafting season for the Middle Fork Salmon River. We were up there 10+ years ago around that time and it was very cold at night. The town basically shuts down for the winter and reopens for rafting season. Make sure the businesses you will need will be open. The drive over the pass from Sun Valley, Galena Peak, is pretty steep. Make sure it is clear before you start up.
RichH

Yes Galena pass is 8700 ft. and dropping to 7000 in Smiley Creek. The wife & I slept overnight at the airport in a tent in the last week of Aug. and woke to 4 inches of fresh snow everywhere.>>>Dan

Max, I have sent you a PM with my notes from our trip.

We stayed at Redfish Lake at the Mount Heyburn Campground, boondocking but there is water and a dump station close by.

We then stayed at the Wagonhammer RV Park at North Fork just outside Stanley, it was wonderful and right on the river.  Highly recommend it...

Back
Top Bottom