Avoid iTunes 7.3

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an RV or an interest in RVing!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Steve CDN

After allowing iTunes to upgrade itself to version 7.3, I discovered several types of unexpected software behaviour.  Notably backups fail to be recorded on DVD or on CD returning an error 161 or error 50 in some cases.  In addition the browser windows no longer rememver the folder last accesses and when any operation is attemped, and the file browser is opened it always defaults to C:\My Documents.

A Google search for iTunes 7.3 problems will demonstrate how widespread is the problem, in both Mac and PC.

There are versions of 7.2 available for download in order to rollback, but I'd like to know if Apple has any built in obstacles when a rollback is attemted?

I know you cannot simply install over an new version, because it won't allow you to do that. 

Version 7.3.1 released.  No feedback yet, however I read one report of a user experiencing serious failures.

Anyone having difficulty with iTunes post ver 7.2?

Anyone have success or difficulty in rolling back to ver 7.2?

<<Anyone having difficulty with iTunes post ver 7.2?>>

Nope. 7.3 runs just fine for me on powerpc G5 and intel 15 inch laptop amd both are running 10.4.10

Russ,

Have you tried burning a CD or DVD, or using the backup utility?  That is the source of most of the complaints I have read.  Attempting to perform that operation returns a numerical error message.

<<Have you tried burning a CD or DVD, or using the backup utility?>>

No. It has been months since I burned any disks. For backup, I use a cloning program.

Version 7.3.1 behaved in the same manner by not allowing iTunes to burn either a CD or DVD for backup.  The message returned was error 261.

Following the advice on several iPod support forums, I uninstalled version 7.3, being sure to backup the iTunes database prior to uninstallation, and rolled back to version 7.2 which perfeorms flawlessly.

I have disabled automatic checking for backups of iTunes until the problems are resolved.

Smoky,

Try clicking Advanced search and entering iphone in the box. You might be pleasantly surprised.

Thanks Ron! I was trying to get Smoky to use a specific search function. He's told us he hasn't been able to get search to work, but I need more info.

I have disabled automatic checking for backups of iTunes until the problems are resolved.

As a long time computer guy, may I suggest you keep it disabled and only allow an upgrade after lots and lots of other folks have tested it for you.

With this sort of technology, the 'leading edge' is properly called the 'bleeding edge' and with good reason.  The near-immediate jump from 7.3 to 7.3.1 (major update) indicates not only serious issues with 7.3 but not nearly enough testing of 7.3.1 before they released it.

Thanks for the good advice, Newt!  I noticed several basic navigation functionalities that were not working correctly in 7.3 that are resolved in the return to 7.2

It makes you wonder how Apple would have let this one out the door  ???

Beats me Steve but all the software companies do it on occasion.

Back when Microsoft was shipping Windows NT for servers and business workstations, they shipped a service pack (#3) that was dropping machines right and left.  SP4 followed very shortly thereafter and luckily was rock solid.  SP3 almost put some businesses out of business.

I usually give a major update at least 6 months for others to debug before I even consider it.

The comments I read on some of the iPod support boards is that Apple refuses to acknowledge there is a problem.  Can so many people be wrong?

Probably Apple can't replicate the problem in the lab so declare there is not a problem.

Nonsense but typical.

Joel,

We're waiting for you to be the guinea pig. Let us know what happens  ;D

Back
Top Bottom