rvupgradestore.com Composet Products Fridge Defend
RV Life Magazine RV Park Reviews RV Trip Wizard

Author Topic: Laundry, for the full time RV  (Read 1892 times)

Larry Dial

• ---
Laundry, for the full time RV
« on: April 05, 2019, 09:46:44 AM »
We are fairly new to full time RV living and I want your opinion. I have pretty much lived in my RV while working on several pipeline construction jobs. While working I was always able to find a Wash, Dry and Fold laundry in the towns nearest. We do not have washer and dryer in the RV.
So on your opinion, do the laundry yourself, or pay for someone to do it for you?
2019 F-350 Crew Cab
2019 Solitude  310GK

donn

• ---
Re: Laundry, for the full time RV
« Reply #1 on: April 05, 2019, 10:06:35 AM »
Never been in that situation.  We had a washer/dryer for the last 12 years.  Would not be without.  I just cant stand the idea of wasting half a day once a week just for laundry.  If you hwve themoption, get a washer/dryer  you wont regret it.

Gary RV_Wizard

• Forum Staff
  • ---
  • RVer Emeritus
« Reply #2 on: April 05, 2019, 11:56:27 AM »
Sounds like a financial decision - cost vs value of your personal time.  If you have better things to do, or maybe just hate laundromats, paying for laundry service may be justified. From a strictly economic view, though, DIY is the way to go.
Gary
--------------
Gary Brinck
Summers: Black Mountain, NC
Home: Ocala National Forest, FL

Memtb

• ---
« Reply #3 on: April 05, 2019, 12:25:37 PM »
    Itís strictly a personal thing! For us, we hate laundromats and generally the location is not practical for large rvís, unless your at an RV park. We know weíll never get a financial return for the investment, but for us.....worth the cost! Everyone has a different perspective of value, some would pay millions for the Mona Lisa....I wouldnít want it in our home!
Todd and Marianne
Home Base: Winchester, Wy.
Miniature Schnauzers - Sundai, Nellie and Maggie Mae
2007 Dodge Ram 3500,  6.7 Ram 6 speed manual, 4x4
2004 Teton Grand Freedom
2007 Bigfoot Class C

NY_Dutch

• ---
  • Home is where our wheels are!
« Reply #4 on: April 05, 2019, 04:20:37 PM »
We don't have any problem hitting a local laundromat when we're parked for a few days. Getting two weeks worth of laundry done in an hour or so using multiple machines works well for us. We just spend the down time catching up on some e-book reading on our phones.
Dutch
2001 GBM Landau 34' Class A
F53 Chassis, Triton V10, TST TPMS
2011 Toyota RAV4 4WD/Remco pump
ReadyBrute Elite tow bar/Blue Ox base plate

UTTransplant

• ---
  • Cedar Falls, Iowa
« Reply #5 on: April 05, 2019, 04:21:51 PM »
I am too picky about how I want my clothes treated to use a wash and fold service. For example, my knit clothes need to be handled differently than my wovens. I think if you had all woven clothes it would be easier to get a good result. And the price isnít nearly as bad as it initially seems when compared to the price of soap and machines. Of course now we are retired, I donít even think of the time savings. We can do all our laundry in less than 2 hours at a laundromat, and drying Kevinís heavy jeans is much of that. We hardly ever used a parkís laundry, preferring to go to a town with more and larger units. We could always combine the trip with something else that needs done. We still do it that way when dry camping when we canít use our own washer and dryer in the motorhome.
Pam and Kevin plus Lily the cat
2018 Tiffin 37PA
2018 Jeep Grand Cherokee Trailhawk toad
https://toobusyforwork.com

Gizmo

• ---
« Reply #6 on: April 05, 2019, 04:22:56 PM »
It really is a personal decision, no right or wrong answer.  We started our full-time life without a washer and dryer and never had an issue finding a laundry facility weather in a RV park or in town.  The advantage we found is the ability to use multiple machines getting the job done quicker and the availability of larger machines for large bulky items.  The cons were cost and having to obtain quarters and going somewhere to get the job done.  We now have a washer dryer combo which has been a plus for us. 
Regards, Bruce, Lin An, Kenji & Suki
2015 Ram Big Horn 3500 CC Cummins TD Dually 3:73 Gears & AISIN Tranny
2019 Grand Design Solitude 310GK-R

muskoka guy

• ---
  • 2000 Coachmen Santara 370 isb cummins diesel
« Reply #7 on: April 07, 2019, 04:08:57 PM »
If you have a washer and dryer in your rv, you can do your own as long as you are not boondocking a lot. We have found that the washer uses quite a lot of water. This is fine if you are hooked up to services at a park, but it will consume your water tank very quickly if you are not. On top of that, most rv washers, {not all}, are quite small. We generally just use the rv park laundry, as we like to travel and boondock for three or four days, then hit a park for a day or two to drain the tanks, and top up. If you are out of town working, a wash and fold service doesn't really cost much more than doing it yourself at the laundrymat.

Dragginourbedaround

• ---
  • Matthew 6:34
« Reply #8 on: April 08, 2019, 10:43:09 AM »
We don't have any problem hitting a local laundromat when we're parked for a few days. Getting two weeks worth of laundry done in an hour or so using multiple machines works well for us. We just spend the down time catching up on some e-book reading on our phones.
X2 we have also found most campgrounds have adequate facilities, not all, but most.
Gene

2013 Winnebago Adventurer 37F
2011 Winnebago Vista 35F
2011 Honda Fit
2008 Veracruz

NY_Dutch

• ---
  • Home is where our wheels are!
« Reply #9 on: April 08, 2019, 09:04:22 PM »
X2 we have also found most campgrounds have adequate facilities, not all, but most.

We favor state and national parks and some do have limited laundry facilities, but often just one washer and dryer per bath house. We do use them on occasion, but getting a big laundry load done in a short time usually means finding a local commercial coin laundry.
Dutch
2001 GBM Landau 34' Class A
F53 Chassis, Triton V10, TST TPMS
2011 Toyota RAV4 4WD/Remco pump
ReadyBrute Elite tow bar/Blue Ox base plate