Laundry, for the full time RV

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an RV or an interest in RVing!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Larry Dial

We are fairly new to full time RV living and I want your opinion. I have pretty much lived in my RV while working on several pipeline construction jobs. While working I was always able to find a Wash, Dry and Fold laundry in the towns nearest. We do not have washer and dryer in the RV.
So on your opinion, do the laundry yourself, or pay for someone to do it for you?

Never been in that situation.  We had a washer/dryer for the last 12 years.  Would not be without.  I just cant stand the idea of wasting half a day once a week just for laundry.  If you hwve themoption, get a washer/dryer  you wont regret it.

Sounds like a financial decision - cost vs value of your personal time.  If you have better things to do, or maybe just hate laundromats, paying for laundry service may be justified. From a strictly economic view, though, DIY is the way to go.

It?s strictly a personal thing! For us, we hate laundromats and generally the location is not practical for large rv?s, unless your at an RV park. We know we?ll never get a financial return for the investment, but for us.....worth the cost! Everyone has a different perspective of value, some would pay millions for the Mona Lisa....I wouldn?t want it in our home!

We don't have any problem hitting a local laundromat when we're parked for a few days. Getting two weeks worth of laundry done in an hour or so using multiple machines works well for us. We just spend the down time catching up on some e-book reading on our phones.

I am too picky about how I want my clothes treated to use a wash and fold service. For example, my knit clothes need to be handled differently than my wovens. I think if you had all woven clothes it would be easier to get a good result. And the price isn?t nearly as bad as it initially seems when compared to the price of soap and machines. Of course now we are retired, I don?t even think of the time savings. We can do all our laundry in less than 2 hours at a laundromat, and drying Kevin?s heavy jeans is much of that. We hardly ever used a park?s laundry, preferring to go to a town with more and larger units. We could always combine the trip with something else that needs done. We still do it that way when dry camping when we can?t use our own washer and dryer in the motorhome.

It really is a personal decision, no right or wrong answer.  We started our full-time life without a washer and dryer and never had an issue finding a laundry facility weather in a RV park or in town.  The advantage we found is the ability to use multiple machines getting the job done quicker and the availability of larger machines for large bulky items.  The cons were cost and having to obtain quarters and going somewhere to get the job done.  We now have a washer dryer combo which has been a plus for us. 

If you have a washer and dryer in your rv, you can do your own as long as you are not boondocking a lot. We have found that the washer uses quite a lot of water. This is fine if you are hooked up to services at a park, but it will consume your water tank very quickly if you are not. On top of that, most rv washers, {not all}, are quite small. We generally just use the rv park laundry, as we like to travel and boondock for three or four days, then hit a park for a day or two to drain the tanks, and top up. If you are out of town working, a wash and fold service doesn't really cost much more than doing it yourself at the laundrymat.

NY_Dutch said:
We don't have any problem hitting a local laundromat when we're parked for a few days. Getting two weeks worth of laundry done in an hour or so using multiple machines works well for us. We just spend the down time catching up on some e-book reading on our phones.
X2 we have also found most campgrounds have adequate facilities, not all, but most.

Dragginourbedaround said:
X2 we have also found most campgrounds have adequate facilities, not all, but most.

We favor state and national parks and some do have limited laundry facilities, but often just one washer and dryer per bath house. We do use them on occasion, but getting a big laundry load done in a short time usually means finding a local commercial coin laundry.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
freetoroam
Back
Top Bottom